Sunday, March 13, 2016
 
nick:  March 2016
Avington, South Downs National Park (apparently)



Comments:
Blogger nick: Hmm, blogger has compressed my photo - it was higher resolution when I uploaded it...

Easter: so far as I can see I'm free all four days, except Easter Sunday when I'm on duty at church.
 
Blogger nick: just changed the chain on my whyte - 2,000 miles since the last one in September, and this one is off the scale for stretch - hope it hasn't worn the cassette out too
 
Blogger Tim: It's Avington not Abington.

Friday's not so good for me so Saturday or Monday.
 
Blogger Steve: I was impressed by the calorie count of the ride, find it hard to believe though as it was not too stressful.

Disk 2 of the Biosphere pretty good if unessential.

Still majorly up in the air here and might not know by the end of the month...
 
Blogger nick: Disk 2 of the Biosphere pretty good if unessential.

Did you think Disk 1 sounded any different?
 
Blogger Steve: Not really but was not 100% listening as we were playing Carcassonne and it was side-on to me. BTW Tim the triangles are excellent for sabotaging your opponent's setup. Of course they then do it back to you so we tend to use them all up in consecutive goes but can be any time in the game.
 
Blogger nick: Turns out I had left it too long to change the chain - it was slipping in my favourite gears. So I had to put a new cassette on. Sounds and feels lovely and smooth now
 
Blogger Steve: Well a cassette is not too dear.

New album by Jon and Roine - 4 longish tracks that will draw comparisons to Tales. I might even buy it, BUT The Flower Kings have output way too much stuff.

In theory I am up for the Randonnee. Riding from Tim's worked well last time.

Tim, your Livestock LP sounds good. Mine is on Nick's wall :)
 
Blogger nick: I'm pleasantly surprised Jon is still going, I thought he was not very well.
My brother mailed me after Cliff Michelmore died, saying "he used to host the Holiday TV programme - do you have any idea what the theme music was?" So I've had Heartsong going round in my head for the last couple of days

I bought the cassette from the bike shop in town, so it was a bit expensive compared to Wiggle, but helps them out. Got to use my cassette spanner thing and chain whip for the first time!

Randonnée on Sun 1st May Tim - are you still up for a ride next Saturday? Hmm forecast is a bit rainy.

 
Blogger Steve: I actually had that Gordon Giltrap album on last night. Pretty good it is too.


 
Blogger Steve: Had Last Train to Lhasa on (WFH yesterday) - yes it is very very good, he leaves things looping just the right amount of time. Might get another one but the covers are truly terrible...
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, I must give that a listen.

Nick, the forecast is still rain and wind so let's postpone riding until a sunny weekend.
Cheers for the handlebar plugs, I forgot I needed those so totally couldn't guess what was in the envelope.

Jon and Roine could be interesting. Or not, we'll see.
 
Blogger nick: Tim, I do have a couple of other Wiggle goodies for you but they are so huge I thought better to bring them rather than risk you getting frustrating "I tried to deliver your massive parcel" notes. So in the meantime, don't buy anything.
 
Blogger Tim: That's exciting, OK I should be able to manage that.
 
Blogger Tim: Steve, the cover to Igizeh looks OK?
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I agree on that, and wouldn't you know it, you can't buy it on CD from his store. So I've ordered this used and will get Maya from BandCamp.
 
Blogger Steve: Here's a link to the office I was working in the last 3 days (back in London now).
Doesn't look too bad for a bank (although not great) and is actually a perfectly safe area. But surrounding it are breaker's yards and small garages etc. And the graffiti!

Street View
 
Blogger Steve: There is this we could go to: E-Scape 2016 Festival. Don't mind either way but I am free and we could easily drive from here.
 
Blogger Tim: I can't make that I'm afraid - I'm off to France a few days later.
 
Blogger Tim: On the subject of gigs, Klaus is ill again and has cancelled his upcoming concert in Poland. It sounds bad. Tangerine Dream are going to take his place, whoever they are these days.
 
Blogger Steve: OK good that is decided then.
I did buy a couple more DiN albums last week, they are all good and sort of all sound the same.
 
Blogger Steve: I'm about to book this:

Explosions in the Sky Oct 12th

Speak now...
 
Blogger nick: I'd be on for Explosions in the Sky please Steve
 
Blogger Steve: Yeah Paul as well. Also Tortoise 7th July: Roundhouse
 
Blogger nick: I'd be up for Tortoise as well
 
Blogger Tim: Good finds! But I can't do tortoise, and not sure about eits, so go ahead and book without me (but I might try and join in later), cheers.
 
Blogger nick: We are off to Sorrento on Friday (22), back next Friday (29). Not sure what my email access will be like next week. Steve, I'll be expecting you on Saturday 30th evening, prior to Randonnee on the Sunday. Unless you're staying at Tim's that night? Maybe you two will arrange something. I am at the Richard Herring thing on Sat 30th so will be back home fairly late, but if Steve's coming, I'll make sure that there'll be some way for him to effect an entrance to our home...
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I will aim to go to Tim's if that is okay?
Have a good one.

Rode in today and feel pretty tired from lack of sleep and legs. Will ride home tomorrow night. Today was excellent conditions.

Explosions booked, checking on Paul for Tortoise. He has found The Orb playing Brixton as well so I'm considering that. Supposedly ends at 11PM.
 
Blogger Tim: Fine by me.
 
Blogger Steve: While I wait for an install to happen, booked Tortoise as well. Total is £51.

Tim have you fitted your present from Nick yet?

I was looking for cycling shirts for the renamed Cycling UK (was crappy name of CTC - Cycle Touring Club) but can't see any. Not that I need any more tops...
 
Blogger nick: Thanks Steve, paid £51 to your account.

I haven't yet delivered all of Tim's bumper bundle, so there are some more things he'll be having to fit - I'll try and remember these on 1-May
 
Blogger Tim: Yeah.

Any sort of outline plan for 30th/1st? Are people catching trains or driving, got any idea when, that sort of thing? Presumably tucker required pre- and post-ride?
 
Blogger Steve: I will drive down to you Tim. Depending on your availability, that can be pretty well any time Saturday. Not sure if Nick can get a train down so we have just one car going back up north? I would aim to go home late Sunday night.

Yes food would be welcome of course :)
 
Blogger nick: Yes, I can try and train down on Sunday morning, might be a bit early I suppose and I'll have panniers overflowing with stuff for Tim's bike. I'll confirm when I get back from Italy
 
Blogger Tim: The first train arrives 8:32, is that early enough?
 
Blogger Steve: Do you have football Tim? Turns out we have something here Sat AM so realistically I would aim to get to you tea-time? And we can eat out, no need to strain yourself 2 days running :)
 
Blogger Tim: No, I'm in on Saturday. It's handy to keep the a.m. free though. What's your earliest ETA? (not that it matters)
 
Blogger Steve: Say 4 earliest.
 
Blogger Tim: OK great.
 
Blogger Steve: At the risk of this being crap and being the day after Tortoise, D is busy this weekend: Enid Southampton
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, good trip?
And how's your plan for tomorrow shaping up?
 
Blogger nick: Yes was nice break thanks, weather not great but at least we didn't get too sunburnt

I can get the train from MD->HE tomorrow, arriving 8.32, assuming that's OK. Be helpful to drop some stuff off at your house but I guess Steve and I can cycle from yours to the ferry (I think we did that last time?) if that fits in
 
Blogger Tim: Sounds fine to me, that's 8:32 in time for breakfast is it? (I'm just not sure how early you're looking to be on the ferry.)
 
Blogger nick: Not sure what time ferry Steve wants to get - there's the possibility of breakfast on there (inc. fried bread)

Maybe worth booking a ferry ticket - I can do this if you let me know what time -or maybe Steve can do it this afternoon when he gets to yours? Let me know

 
Blogger nick: I had a voicemail from Steve (presumably before he was setting off) asking about ferry tickets - I can't remember what we did last time - maybe got a return train from MD to Cowes or something? I am off out shortly - picking up Tony at 5 so I'l try calling Tim before I go in case Steve has arrived by then
 
Blogger Steve: Excellent I left my toilet bag at Tim's???
 
Blogger Tim: Yes. I could bung it in the post?
 
Blogger Steve: Not worth it thanks. And I ended up with one of your mugs in my bag :)
 
Blogger Steve: That Leandro Fresco album is pretty good. So how do you tell which is side A or B? Look for the hand etched letter near the label. Helpfully 7 tracks, but not broken up on the sleeve to give any clues.

And you were right, I did buy Mirages by Tim Hecker.

For Nick's benefit on the Live 79 info, the LP just says recorded Winter tour of 79. The Levitation extended booklet and other sources I have checked says it was recorded at St Albans. We must be on it as we went to see them there. An extra disk of bootleg quality stuff on an odd not-fully sanctioned release has New Jerusalem on it. So get checking the album cover to see if you can spot us!
 
Blogger Tim: That just goes to show how much attention I paid to what I was buying: the Leandro Fresco CD has 10 tracks.
 
Blogger nick: Tim, this is the book I mentioned. Don't read it though, it's really bad. Main character has now on the run with the alien, has fallen in love with him "I don't care what happens to the world so long as I can be with you" and is teaching him how to kiss
 
Blogger Tim: Yeah, I'd already tracked it down, it sounds great! There are copies going for 1p plus P&P, I'm really tempted.
 
Blogger Steve: I'm sorry I missed this bit of conversation!
The book looks a real winner, right up Nick's street.
There are 1000s or maybe millions of books for 1p, they must make enough on the postage.
 
Blogger Steve: Yikes, KS' Are You Sequenced will be 20 years old in September, I had this down as a fair bit more recent than that. Should have followed my double-it rule.
 
Blogger Steve: This is the festival we should go to: Blue Dot with JMJ And I am free that weekend as well - D at camp.
 
Blogger Tim: Interesting. I'll have a closer look later.
 
Blogger Steve: Day trip for the JMJ Saturday might be the most suitable. We've been there and back before in a day.
 
Blogger nick: yes, could be up for that - I'm not doing anything else then that I can see.

Finished "Resistance is Futile", thank goodness. The end of the book had a comment:

Love is like Mathematics - it's not simple or complicated, it just is

wise words.
 
Blogger Tim: I was hoping for a bit of B&B action but just Saturday might make more sense.

Nick, yes I saw that it's due back tomorrow. (Was looking to see if the local library had the book in.)
 
Blogger Steve: Ok, I am open to ideas for that festival. Nick you will not want to stay for a whole festival?

I would like to see:

Friday: Underworld, PBO & DJ Yoda
Sat: JMJ, Air
Sun: Mercury Rev, 65days, Caribou

So I could do the whole B&B thing as the non-music stuff will be great as well.

The only alternative to seeing JMJ is going to be nasty big indoor venues.
 
Blogger Tim: How about going up on the Friday and doing 2 days and nights, and making a leisurely return on the Sunday? Just a suggestion.
Nick, you must know a friendly B&B not far away?
 
Blogger Steve: Good idea, Caribou seems unessential.

Over to you Nick and I will book tickets and parking.
 
Blogger nick: just realised that Big Wheel is that weekend. Need to think about what to do..
 
Blogger Tim: I'll try and book the Friday off work tomorrow, anyway.
 
Blogger Tim: Not sure how well
this link
will work but it's supposed to be to a place in the general vicinity with triple rooms.
 
Blogger Steve: Link worked fine, good research.

I have booked the Friday and Monday off.
 
Blogger Steve: So am I looking at day tickets or are we popping in on the Sunday as well?

BTW played Carcassonne South Seas edition and the rules are totally different. And I saw a Star Wars one which I guess is different again.
 
Blogger Tim: It looks like it's about £40 each extra to pop in on the Sunday, or am I missing something?
 
Blogger Steve: I agree yes, so not worth it?
 
Blogger Steve: Just seen that Tomita died last week. Which reminds me to record that Pictures at an Exhibition I have for Nick. I need to retire to get time to do this stuff of course.
 
Blogger Tim: OK I've booked that Friday off.
 
Blogger Tim: And now I've booked us a triple (in case) room in that motel place. I think it featured in No Country for Old Men.
 
Blogger Steve: Well done, I have the two sets of tickets ordered.

Nick did you know about this? Lexicon of Love II
 
Blogger Steve: Bit of cycling news here. Fractured my left collarbone in Thetford forest yesterday. So no riding for a while and not sure if its worth an op to pin it or not. Going to the fracture clinic tomorrow after Luton A&E last night. Have a sling and painkillers. Sadly right wrist and thumb is also a bit buggered, assumed sprained. Bike ended up hitting me on the head (I think) as my helmet is dented and my glasses split in half and I had a cut face and head.
The walk/ride back to the car and drive to meet D in Ely was "interesting".
 
Blogger Tim: Ouch. How did it happen... and what did the clinic say?
 
Blogger Steve: Just fell off no idea how, over so quick. It appears to be in 3 pieces right near the arm end, and they decide today what to do with it if anything. Prob have a week off then WFH for a bit. And like a good boy I am monitoring emails.
Pain a lot less than Sat/Sunday but makes me cringe when I move it.

Luckily a day out Sat with D's cousin and twins is cancelled (due to her husband knackering his pelvis) as I do not fancy wandering around a theme park in a sling!
 
Blogger nick: I had a google and lots of people say it's a common cycling injury, and that it can be painful. Glad it's not happened to me!

 
Blogger Steve: Yeah painful goes some was towards it. Op decided on yesterday, in theory this afternoon. Hope you get through tomorrow Nick, I'm sure you will be fine.
 
Blogger Tim: How are you both getting on?

(I realise it might be a while before any replies.)
 
Blogger Steve: Thanks for checking. I had the op and came out yesterday lunchtime. Pretty painful on and off, very unpredictable. Sling for 6 weeks(!), signed off for 2 but I guess up to me. I can sort of operate a laptop.

Other news, D's last day at the uni is Monday as she got voluntary. She is already doing exam invigilation at Stopsley High from this week.
I finally got reading glasses but if I use them have to hold things about 8" from my face so feels odd.

You were right Tim, new Peter Bauman album due and I see an 11CD set of Glass symphonies. Record Collector gives 4* to a new Tim Hecker and the Hawkwind album, saying the best for years, half tempted... maybe not.
 
Blogger nick: Just saw that you had decided to have the operation Steve, maybe it'll be uncomfortable now but hopefully will in the long term be worth it. Is it legally possible for them to make you redundant while you're signed off sick?

I got back last night (took me 2 hours to drive back from LHR because M3 was shut and I got lost) so the last three days already feels like a dream. My body clock stayed on UK time so I was up at 2am on the morning of the service, got to the church at 8.30 to help carry in the coffin. Service was very long! The service sheet was 24 pages of A4 I kid you not. They had a choir and a string quartet who played for an hour before the service (and an hour of rehearsal before that, which I got to hear). The music was pretty fantastic though.

Four people doing eulogies, I was the last one. By the time I did mine I was a bit zonked out tbh, and I suppose partly because of that and partly because I'd rehearsed it quite a few times, was able to read it out without choking up. A bit weird afterwards with lots of people coming to talk to me to tell me how wonderful "Father Hudson" was. Spent the evening with my sister, which felt a lot more "normal" and she took me to the airport at 2.30am (7.30 according to my body clock) yesterday morning.

So I'm pleased that's done. A bit sad that he died the day before he'd been due to fly to see us, but it was pretty quick (last pic of him is on the stairs of the Met at NYC, where he saw an opera - that was the day before he died).


 
Blogger nick: my dad's obituary
 
Blogger Steve: Crikey yes 24 pages of A4. Well done for doing it.

They decided to operate in the end and yes pretty uncomfortable indeed. I have a strip of metal staples about 5 inches long for 2 weeks.
No work news.
 
Blogger nick: Bit of a wobble and creak from my crank so called in to bike shop near my office. "Definitely need a new bottom bracket, and you shouldn't be riding it until it's replaced. I've seen frames ruined by doing that". So I'll take it in tomorrow, but will be cycling home on it tonight (I'm not pushing it for 13 miles).

There are two guys at this bike shop - last year the other one replaced the BB and I'm sure he said to me that riding on one that's gone wouldn't do any harm but would gradually get more creaky and wobbly. I think I like that guy better.
 
Blogger Steve: Aaargh another 6 weeks of sling. But I can work on a computer keyboard so will prob WFH next week. And for the first time in my life I'm up on the deal, I did not get a season ticket this year, expecting to go, so am actually saving money.

Dare I ask how the play was?
 
Blogger nick: So Steve, are you managing to get any exercise? Presumably you can go out walking at least..?

Do they have a mechanism for getting a refund on a season ticket that you've not used?
Play isn't until next week. We're expecting great things, after the massive recommendation you gave.
Pedals on my bike are still creaking after new BB. Bloke in shop says he thinks it might be my back wheel, which is definitely looking like it needs new bearings

I watched an episode of the Ben Elton Shakespeare thing. It felt like there might be some funny stuff in there struggling to get out, but the (canned?) laughter track was really annoying - reminded me of "When the Whistle Blows"

 
Blogger Steve: You can get season tickets refunded up to about 10 months in.

Yeah I can walk and I'm trying the exercise bike a bit. Walking for a length of time is not too comfortable with a sling though. The surgeon said it was a difficult operation. And when I said it was in 3 bits he said it was in several bits so yikes to that.

Not surprised the wheel needs bearings, it's done > 20,000 miles?
 
Blogger nick: about 15,000 miles. I went out at the weekend and I think they may be right - I get creaking when I'm not pedalling (even when feet aren't on the pedals I managed to get some) as well as when I'm standing up (so not the seat post). And the back wheel definitely is a bit wobbly. So I ordered some new wheels. Not as nice as Steve's.
 
Blogger Steve: OK I have Aksiums on the Felt and never had an issue, original wheels were awful - went out of true. Can we assume the old wheel had Shimano ball-bearings as opposed to cartridge ones meaning they are a chuck-job? Alsiums are cartridge AFAIK.
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, got a plan for tomorrow?
It's 5 minutes on the train from Hedge End, so I can easily meet you there, depends on your timings and navigational skills.
 
Blogger nick: Hi Tim
Looks like there's a train from MD at 18.34 getting to Eastleigh 18.54 so I think I'll try driving to MD from work. Then if I miss the train I'll carry on driving to Eastleigh. So best to say I'll meet you in the foyer at 7pm onwards?
 
Blogger Tim: OK, if I don't hear from you I'll probably lurk at the station until 18.54 anyway, it's only a couple of minutes from there to the point.
 
Blogger Tim: I enjoyed the play, cheers for the tip Steve.

But I guess that in the original story the character Kuno wasn't specifically meant to be a black guy.
 
Blogger nick: It was a bit of a shame that the theatre wasn't more full, I feel bad for the company. Enjoyed seeing the play although the story felt a bit unsophisticated by today's standards. I did think the way they realised "the machine" though and it was good when it went wrong. I found a BBC article about the production
 
Blogger Steve: Oh oh :) I saw the sit anywhere text and wondered...
Pretty convenient though.

BTW having a classical day today so started off with some C.P.E Bach and see where we go. Trying not to be tempted to buy a load more and not listen to them. Everything is just a couple of clicks away now.

Got a t-shirt over my head for the first time - not easy or painless though.
 
Blogger nick: CPE Bach - Good idea! I'll get some on. Hope you didn't put the T-shirt on back-to-front by mistake
 
Blogger Steve: Of course there is the classic WQ182, but a similar WQ183 is also very good.

Yeah funny, I think I would have waited for D to come home. She is currently strolling up and down the exam hall. We actually went for a walk last night and was excellent, we are pretty near countryside here. Then episodes 4&5 of Happy Valley. Flip me, it has been tense. And she even looks nice with a bashed up face.
 
Blogger Steve: Am I getting old, I really enjoyed your LP of Asia tonight Tim!

Enjoy the footie.
 
Blogger Tim: Ah yes, I just checked out the track titles, every one a cliché.

BTW Nick was contemplating doing JMJ *and* Big Wheel. It looks like the drive is under 200 miles, and only 3 to 3.5 hours. Peasy.
 
Blogger Steve: Yeah but i was impressed with the production of it. I then had a look at the Wiki page and marvelled at the line-up history matrix. I had no idea it was so varied.

Oh fair enough on Big Wheel. I think the light show and setting is going to be pretty awesome. I have to say I'm not going to be out of the sling long so not sure on driving, but you can drive my car Tim if necessary.
Just checked out Floating Points (Saturday) and it's definitely our sort of thing, electronics and live instruments. Hope it doesn't clash.
 
Blogger nick: Yes, I hadn't clicked until talking with Tim last week that you weren't staying for Sunday. So it's possible (and maybe even feasible) that I could leave after Sat night and drive back to BSK to do the ride on the Sunday. Might be a bit knackering but having done BW every year for the last 17(?!) years straight it would be a shame to miss one (I think it's 17 - the first one I did was BW7 and it's BW24 this year). Anyway I'm relying on Steve to let me know when the next tranche of tickets is released, and I don't have to make a decision until then...
 
Blogger Steve: Maybe we should all come back at that time then? One car.
And nothing to stop you booking now AFAIK.
 
Blogger Tim: Crikey, all those guitarists I've never heard of.
 
Blogger Steve: I did see them last year in MK and it was excellent, pretty small gig. John Wetton is undergoing chemo so I hope he will be okay.
 
Blogger nick: Last Guardian gets release date
 
Blogger Steve: Flip I thought that was another newspaper closing. I've started getting the i which is excellent and amazingly cheap.
 
Blogger Steve: Seemingly no news so new post as this started in March.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger