Friday, January 10, 2014
 
nick:  2014
Picture taken on Christmas morning, stopped to get cash while on the way to collect Ella from her night shift.  Thought it was unusual to see Sainsbury's car park almost empty!

Anyone got any resolutions?


Comments:
Blogger Tim: Mogwai, yes got my ticket at the ready thanks. Did have a bit of a scare because Tina tidied it up. Last time I saw them they were almost loud enough to drown out people having shouted conversations except nearer the back. Should be OK at the RFH I imagine, far more civilised.


 
Blogger Tim: Haven't really got any resolutions. Yours are usually good for a laugh though, let's hear em?
 
Blogger nick: Well I managed to keep last year's one of doing more cycling, so this year I'm hoping to do more again: target 5,000 miles for the year (last year was 4200)
including "end to end" and a few MD<->HE.

Also (this won't appeal to Tim much) trying to see more films at the cinema. I've seen one so far so am on target for one per week, but not sure if that's going to be sustainable.

As per Tim's resolution last year, playing more computer games. I hadn't realised that PitF only came out last year, feels like we've been playing for decades!

 
Blogger Steve: Nothing this end apart from continuing my no-kill policy on public transport. 16 sniffs per minute from one person (for 20 minutes) the other day was close...

Maybe you should get the eat-as-much-as-you-can cinema ticket. A lot of films are terrible though, it's not good enough that it's a massive screen with good sound.
 
Blogger nick: Yes, films can be bad, but sometimes they're good and I do like the feeling of total immersion/forgetting where I am while watching. Saw "American Hustle" last week and the cinema experience worked its magic.

Steve was right when he said "going out on the bike every day is too much", and I'm not doing that this year which is a relief. Getting my Whyte back tomorrow (with temporary brake) so I'll probably be out to Alresford in the afternoon.
 
Blogger nick: Saw "12 Years a Slave" yesterday:film has been critically lauded, up for loads of prizes, so I was expecting to be blown away. But I thought it was pretty underwhelming... it was quite an interesting "true story", but I couldn't really see what the fuss was about from a "film" point of view - acting was OK but not as knockout as I'd been expecting. Plus there was an elderly couple next to me and the bloke was talking to his wife through it "I don't think we should have come to see this" etc.. Usually I don't sit near other people but cinema was nearly full. Wouldn't recommend the film though
 
Blogger Steve: Another 51 like that and your year is done. I'd heard that the way that he was moved between owners broke up the momentum of the film. But then I will always grasp onto negative reviews... I just go with recording them off the TV when The Guardian says they are good (and in my ball-park).
 
Blogger Steve: Nothing else on that Saturday but we don't want to get too tired.

BTW Tim could you pls bring the mount cutter as I am getting requests to be creative with it? Maybe this is just the deadline you need.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, I've got "Physical Graffiti" and that's it. What LZ album would you suggest I ought to buy?
 
Blogger Tim: Mount cutter: wow, I've found it already! Next up: try and remember how you use it.
 
Blogger Steve: Hmm Nick you have the best one there possibly. (And I couldn't get into it at first so only "got" it about 3 years ago.) Other than that you are looking at II,III,IV, I prefer II but III has my favourite track Since I've Been Loving You. Of course IV has Stairway to Heaven. Maybe try Houses of the Holy as it seems to me a bit lighter but good tunes.
 
Blogger nick: ok well before I buy that, I'll be listening to the new Mogwai album - so can you!
 
Blogger nick: Something I would like to do in London is go up the Shard... but I don't think Steve's very keen
 
Blogger Steve: No 'fraid not, it's very expensive for what it is?

I'll meet you afterwards.
 
Blogger Tim: Twenty five quid?! Do you get your money back if the weather is shite that day?
 
Blogger nick: oh! - it's more than I thought! I thought it was a tenner or so
 
Blogger Steve: We had a staff "offer" of £18 and that was still too much for me. Two CDs, 5 beers etc etc
 
Blogger Steve: Thanks for the streaming link, it will be good live I'm sure. I have 2 albums (which I like) and 2 on the way but I still do not know how they get away with it. And how excited people get about this stuff. Listening to the album I'm getting the word..........plod.
 
Blogger Steve: If you like one you like them all I reckon, i.e. they are all the same - reviewers use terms like "honing" which proves it.

If you like this Nick, get some Explosions in the Sky Nick, you saw them with Tim?
 
Blogger Steve: Why don't we know about this outfit? And this event on Friday. You know we love David Toop...
 
Blogger Tim: That looks interesting. (I've got an Icebreaker album, of Eno's Apollo.)
 
Blogger Tim: I still can't get to the ticket site though.
 
Blogger nick: yesterday was "The Wolf of Wall Street". Directed by Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio so was hoping it would be another "The Departed". It was quite long (3 hrs+), and quite sweary.. pretty entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny in points, not as good as The Departed. Lesley liked it quite a lot though
 
Blogger Tim: Fishing around a bit, maybe the url should have been https://www.maximweb.co.uk/ScienceV7_UI/events.aspx
Looks bookable, fwiw.
 
Blogger Steve: Ok so are we going to this? If so which one? Back to Nick's afterwards?

Or is two nights in London too much?
 
Blogger nick: I'm up for the Kraftwerk thing - just checking with Lesley that it doesn't clash but I can't see any problem. And you're welcome to stay at ours Friday night if that fits in.
 
Blogger nick: yes, confirmed with Lesley, Fri evening I'm free, plus you're welcome to stay at ours.
Plus, as luck would have it, I have three bikes so that's Saturday taken care of
 
Blogger Tim: I think I'm free Friday. To avoid carrying luggage to gigs it's probably worth me coming home after though. That way I can avoid the cycling too (forecast is rain, surprise) and catch up with you again Sat pm.
 
Blogger Steve: Haven't been on a bike for well over a month so think I may pass on that offer as well. But yes happy to go back to yours and dissect the Toop talk.

So which one am I booking?
 
Blogger nick: either 7.30pm or 9pm (I think those are the times) is fine with me. Leave it to Tim? Not sure what time he can get to town
 
Blogger Tim: 7:30's got to be best all round, hasn't it? I can get a train straight from work after 4, so should be able to get to Waterloo for about 6.
 
Blogger Tim: By the way, I can't spot any info about when the talks are. I hope we don't miss them.
 
Blogger Steve: booked 7:30
 
Blogger Tim: Good work.

How did you hear about it in the first place?
 
Blogger Steve: Was in the Guardian weekend media-type booklet. Not sure how Nick missed it. I've found a few good things from this previously. Assumed a recommendation in there would cause it to sell out but obviously not.

Anyone had any success with Mahler? I love I & II but have real trouble with anything else. Sound lovely but unintelligible. I assume it's the length that is killing it.
 
Blogger nick: Steve well done for going through the guardian review thing - I no longer buy the newspaper: just read it online (I do have a subscription, so I'm not just freeloading) but I don't think the little review magazine is there (or perhaps it is but I just don't notice it)

Never tried Mahler. Surely there must be some Mahler concerts coming up at the South Bank though? Perhaps you have to see them live
 
Blogger nick: I think I should make a list of places to visit when I do my cycle ride. Including Singing Ringing tree
 
Blogger nick: Cool use of raspberry pi. Should we be getting one and trying to do something with it?
 
Blogger Tim: I was thinking of investigating music streaming. No use to you of course.
 
Blogger nick: maybe you could get one by Saturday, we could spend the day sorting your hifi out to use it

 
Blogger nick: people here seem to know a lot of "comic" websites. Here's today's
 
Blogger nick: Seen any of these fake underground signs Steve?
 
Blogger Tim: I liked the Shepherd's Pie.

So, plans for Saturday? Now that there's no cycling clothes to worry about, I can travel light and fit in. Could kip in Bstoke, or come back here and meet up again Sat (e.g. on a train), whatever's least convenient for Nick really. Anything we should be looking at in London, maybe?
 
Blogger nick: I have to be in the office tomorrow so I'll be coming up from Hampton, which means if people are coming back to Basingstoke with me it'll mean getting a train from WAT to HMP on Friday evening. (I'll leave my car at Hampton and drive home from there)

Tim you're more than welcome to stay at mine on Friday night.

(Weather forecast for Sat is now dry and mild until mid-afternoon)

Wouldn't mind doing an art gallery in London - haven't checked what might be on but I'll have a look
 
Blogger Steve: I liked the "no eye contact" ones.

Anything in London fine with me. I will call them to get a possible timetable for the talks etc.
 
Blogger Tim: Gallery sounds good.
 
Blogger Steve: Make of this what you will, "only need a ticket for one of the performances"?

An evening of Kraftwerk-related entertainment and insight
Friday 24 January 2014, Science Museum
Evening runs from 19:00 – 22:15
with two separate 'Kraftwerk Uncovered - A Future Past' performances from 19.30–20.35 and then again from 21.00–22.05

Come for the evening and enjoy a mix of music and presentations designed to be fun, and to give insights into Kraftwerk’s contribution to music, as well as into broader themes of technology and culture.

Schedule


KRAFTWERK UNCOVERED – A FUTURE PAST BY J. PETER SCHWALM
19.30 – 20.35 – Concert in the IMAX Theatre, entrance via Ground Floor
21.00 – 22.05 – Repeat concert in the IMAX Theatre, entrance via Ground Floor
Please note, you only need tickets for one of these concerts.

More free evening events at the Science Museum
19.40 – 20.10 – DAVID TOOP talk in the Lecture Theatre, Ground Floor
20.00 – 20.30 – BALANESCU QUARTET in Making the Modern World, Ground Floor
21.10 – 21.40 – RICHARD WITTS talk in the Lecture Theatre, Ground Floor
21.30 – 22.00 – BALANESCU QUARTET in Making the Modern World, Ground Floor

A bar serving light snacks and drinks will be open throughout the evening, and a pop-up shop will sell related items.

Please arrive at the Science Museum main entrance on Exhibition Road. Tickets can be collected from the main ticket desk on the ground floor.
 
Blogger Tim: i.e. you don't need tickets for the rest of the stuff?

Pretty sure I'll be coming back here after, get an earlyish night in ready to go again.

Either way, are we meeting at WAT? My eta there is 17:50


 
Blogger Tim: On the other hand, if we're sticking around for the Balanescu then I won't be getting an early night anyway...
 
Blogger nick: well lesley has specially made up a bed for you tim so you're welcome here

I can get to WAT for 17.50. I guess that's a reasonable time if we want to get to Science Museum by 19.00

One museum I've not been to is The Design Museum. Looks interesting, and they've got an exhibition at the moment "In the Making". but it's not free admission

 
Blogger Tim: Bed and museum both sounding good.
 
Blogger Steve: I wondered if you could go to either performance as the talks clash.

See you at WAT then, good arrangements so far. And other museum fine with me.
 
Blogger Tim: Maybe we'll have to go to both performances, given that the ticket booking link was knackered and nobody else will be there.
 
Blogger Steve: I had an odd issue when going to print the e-ticket email. I thought I'd "show images" before printing, and it came up with an HTTPS login dialogue for the ticketing company!
 
Blogger nick: I'm intending to get 16:50 from Hampton, arrive at Waterloo 17:35 with my Bite™ card so I can have a few pasties before Tim arrives
 
Blogger Steve: OK text me and I'll stroll over.
 
Blogger Tim: That only gives you 15 minutes, so maybe there will still be one left for sale when I get there.
 
Blogger nick: Tim I'm assuming that when you get here we'll have finished our pasties and be ready for a snack at Burger King - might as well make the most of those discounts
 
Blogger Tim: Re RPi/streaming, it looks like my receiver doesn't do any processing of HDMI (just switching) so I need S/PDIF input. USB->S/PDIF then, or one of these?
 
Blogger nick: tim, steve is catching up with you. I think you need "unlimited"
 
Blogger Steve: With unlimited fibre and phone I'm way going to overtake. I hope you put this on your tax form :) Although it's not income as such.

That board looks great and you want me to solder it right? Funny how that costs as much as the Pi.

I have this USB->SP/DIF. Shame it's silver.
 
Blogger Steve: Doing this while listening to the IBM 2014 message :) And forgot to say that I have RSS working ok now, having marked old stuff as "read" it's stopped scrolling old news.

My Weather Report albums are good, one very good so a worthwhile trip. Might get running shoes at lunchtime...
 
Blogger Tim: The board doesn't exactly seem like a bargain, but USB/SPDIFs are all kinds of prices (what was yours, >£100?)

Good idea about the soldering :-)

Shall I order three?
 
Blogger nick: Tim, feel free to order one for me. What about Raspberry pis, are we ordering those too? The ones here were bought via Amazon
 
Blogger Steve: Ok I'm thinking about this, how does the controller (Android?) talk to the Pi? As I don't have a network port near the hi-fi.

And yes my convertor was over £100, what did you expect? :)

Just bought some ugly running shoes. And the gait analysis didn't seem to be too bad (medically). I'd not run on a treadmill before and found that pretty stressful, I can see why there are 1000s of funny video clips where people fall off.
 
Blogger Tim: With a USB wifi dongle on the raspi. I think.


 
Blogger nick: ooh it's getting exciting. I can deffo write some software to run on Android. Just need Tim to design the UI and give me some nice icons

 
Blogger nick: One thing I'd want to do is have the box acting as a DNLA server. That means it'd appear on your home network and any DNLA client could play media from it (i.e. you wouldn't need the Pi to be plugged directly into the hifi).

My Humax PVR is a DNLA client, as is the PS3. Also my quiet PC and MacBook have DNLA client software (XBMC). My phone has a DNLA client app and I guess there must be something for android.

Mostly I use this for watching films, or playing back recordings from the PVR from somewhere else in the house, but it works for music too.

A quick google suggests this is possible for Raspberry Pi. I don't know if that helps you with your lack of HDMI input to your amp Tim (unless your amp can act as a DNLA client I suppose)
 
Blogger Tim: I don't think I have any real use for DLNA yet, but could be handy later.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, listening to Synaesthesia now; lots of it slipped past without making an impression - if I concentrate it seems a bit more noodling than World Gone Strange or Charming Snakes: not so immediately interesting as them. I can post you my copy (I've also got "In A Blue Room" or whatever it's called, I think)
 
Blogger Tim: ...although I suppose DLNA might be handy if I had 2 raspis, one at each hifi.
 
Blogger Steve: I'll buy Synaesthesia as it's only £4 secondhand. Good old CMP label. I got their double "rock" sampler for £2 although some stuff is from the same artist/album.

I'll pass on a Pi for now thanks but will help with the electronics/practical stuff.
 
Blogger Steve: Hmm well we were warned for Saturday, and this guy talks about loud as a jumbo jet. My ears were ok by Sunday.
 
Blogger nick: My ears still whistling. Not sure if perhaps they always do it and it's just that I'm paying more attention. After reading this article in today's paper, I did the test here today and so far as I can tell am in the average place for my age/gender but will be using earplugs at future concerts
 
Blogger Tim: I think I'm starting to get the hang of this raspi->spdif idea. Raspi has connections for an I2S bus, which is the sort of thing you'd expect to find in any audio electronics. Wolfson (amongst others) produce an IC that can convert between this bus and spdif. This is the WM8804 (or 05). Costs about £2 if you buy it individually. It needs some supporting electronics and connectors, but that's about all. A linux driver is available for this chip, so raspi should be able to run it.
Here's a cheap board that should do the biz. I think it might be time I learned to solder.
 
Blogger Steve: Lots of these chips nowadays are surface-mount, i.e. microscopic legs that cannot really be soldered by hand. The chips are glued in place then passed through an IR oven to melt the solder. At McDD we did have technicians who could solder those when doing temporary fixes.

Looking at that board I can't see how it connects to the Raspi. The other one seemed more obvious. Also the other one had a connector. You have to be very careful with cables etc with SPDIF otherwise you get signal reflections and terrible sound.

Nick are we still on for 21st Carl Palmer, do I need to book it?

Node album available for sale on DiN - just in.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, yes I'm up for 21st Feb Carl Palmer. If you could book I'll pay your account, thanks
 
Blogger Steve: Done, half of £43.20 please.

Small review for last week's Kraftwerk thing

Also, Kraftwerk radio show by one of them
 
Blogger nick: Thanks Steve, paid into your account.

I think the comment on the guardian page from "MagicFlugelhorn" is more on-the-mark (sounds like he saw things in the same order as us).
 
Blogger Steve: Yes a good write-up, for some reason the first time I looked at that page I couldn't see comments.

BUT there is no passion in Kraftwerk, it's robotic by design. although you could argue that the string quartet manage to get some. I assume this is not what the composer was after. Agree the film was not too good.
 
Blogger Tim: Node duly ordered, cheers, and a couple of others.

The other board needed connectors soldering on too, so I thought this would be much the same, really (except I also have to buy the connectors, obv.)

I have seen an unpopulated board somewhere, but didn't fancy that (not least because it was still $14). Found it.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, per our previous conversation, recognise the people in this photo?
 
Blogger nick: "Inside Llewyn Davis" hasn't turned up at our local cinemas yet so I went to see "Gravity (3D)". I was quite surprised by how full it was given that it came out nearly 3 months ago - it was showing on one of the big screens, and there were quite a few in the audience.

It was pretty impressive to watch (3D was immersive without being over the top) but the story was a bit cliched. Worth seeing at the cinema but not sure how well it would stand up on TV.
 
Blogger Tim: Our local railway line broke on Saturday and looks like it might be out of action for a while.
 
Blogger Steve: Very impressive bend in the track there. What is the answer to all this weather damage??

BTW I now have fibre broadband 70MB/16MB when I just measured it. Amazing to see after years of slowness. And I moved the master socket to the office (from the kitchen!) before he came so we have the router in the right place. This is a relief as it might have meant some awful cable wandering around the house.

Send your next Saturday dates in for another trip. D is off 4-7th April so I could come down your way as well/instead.

Still getting headaches without cycling although neck is not tight so I could be back in the saddle soon and just live with headaches.
 
Blogger Tim: Not sure about Saturdays at the moment... the current estimate for track repairs is about a month and there's a new replacement bus service timetable I need to have a look at. March is fairly clear, I've got home fixtures on 8th and 22nd but not too bothered about missing one of them.

I'm hoping Node2 will be on the doormat tonight or tomorrow. Of course, I could have downloaded it but...
 
Blogger nick: As far as I can see the only Saturdays I'm booked are 22-March and 12-April. 4-7 April is free for me except I'm on stewarding duty on Sun 7

Been chaotically busy this week, both work and home. Only got out once on the bike, and had another spill. Country lane, car behind me, so I went over to the edge of the road to give him space to pass. Went OFF the edge of the road (ragged tarmac), car went past, and then and then wheel got caught on the tarmac as I was getting back on the road. The car stopped to see if I was OK- he said he was in the Oakley Cycle Club and asked if I was OK. Only damage was to my wrists - must have had my hands out as I fell (wasn't going at all fast).

I think the lesson is to take up as much road as you need, and make cars wait a bit (especially in the dark when it's hard to see what's in the edge of the road).

Do you notice the broadband being faster then Steve (apart from seeing that it is reporting faster)? We're meant to be getting super fast BT broadband by March 2014 but I don't think it'll match fibre speeds.


 
Blogger nick: Listening to an audiobook of "Sophie's Choice" at the moment. I think I've read it before - Steve gave me the book IIRC. I'd forgotten how long it was though - takes up 24 CDs
 
Blogger Tim: Right, replacement buses look OK. How about 22nd Feb?
 
Blogger Tim: There seems to be nothing on at the South Bank that night? Barbican have a doable classical concert, or, in the theatre, Shostakovitch string quartets + circus!?
 
Blogger nick: I could do either of those Barbican things on 22nd - I note that this is the day after Carl Palmer which could affect the decision I guess.

Went out on Saturday and hit a "road closed - flooding" notice just near Deane (we cycled this way when Tim mapped out a route to my house last year).

I thought - hah! I can cycle through a puddle no problem. But it was more severe than I'd thought: pic1 and pic2 so I ended up turning round and going another way.
 
Blogger Tim: I thought it was going to be a routine "fell off me bike" there but no!

22nd is just a suggestion, it happens to be the last weekend of £10 tickets but otherwise nothing special. And totally open to suggestions about what to do.
 
Blogger Steve: Oops sorry forgot to monitor this.
More later but the 22nd is fine with me for a day doing something. There are good £21 tickets left if we are going for it. I think D is busy this weekend as well so good timing.
Let me know and I'll book - maybe do it in person to save a couple of quid now I'm not a member...

And it looks like Nick needs a paramedic between JOG & LE. I must admit I'm also too polite to cars. Importantly have you scratched the bike yet?
 
Blogger nick: I've booked 22nd in my calendar as potential date

Wouldn't mind seeing either of those shows

No, I don't think the bike is scratched, but I noticed that the derailleur has been a bit bent (it changes gear ok but if were to use gear 1 then the mechanism would scrape against the spokes). So I'll have to try and bend it back a bit. Luckily I never go into that gear...

 
Blogger Steve: Yes they fit the mechanism on a replaceable hanger to save the frame. Trouble is there is no standard for the hanger if you break it off.
 
Blogger Tim: 22nd, great.
 
Blogger nick: ooh shiny! I haven't ordered my Raspberry Pi yet, maybe should do that.

Steve do you have any pictures of the Thames lapping at your office windows? Does it *look* like it's swollen?
 
Blogger Steve: I haven't noticed any difference but we are below the Teddington lock and tidal here so maybe it's the same as it ever is.

Besotted with Downwind this week, what an album. Do I need the re-issue I'm thinking, it already sounds pretty good. I know you have it Nick.

I'll get the tickets today hopefully, have to say string quartets grate on me really so would be the other one.
 
Blogger nick: 10 of the best: Yes quite good writeup I think
 
Blogger Steve: Yes it's good, I really like Mind Drive although I got it when we were madly playing Bust-a-Move. They are now forever entwined.

Not sure about Parallels though.
 
Blogger nick: I really like Parallels - Chris Squire is ace on that track (especially his singing)

Can you plug a raspberry pi into one of these?
 
Blogger Tim: Ooh! System-1 sounds like fun.
 
Blogger Steve: Tickets for Sat booked as promised, Nick if you want to return the car I'll come home with you again Friday night? Or you can come to me.
 
Blogger nick: Thanks for booking tickets Steve, how much do we owe you?

I was thinking of working from home on Friday which would mean I could train in from Basingstoke. But I just checked and I have at least one, and possibly two meetings in the afternoon, so I shall have to be in the office.

So Steve you'd be very welcome to come home with me via Hampton although as you know it's a bit of a long journey with the slow train and then car drive.


 
Blogger Steve: OK we'll repeat what we did last time and go back up with Tim. I think £21 for the ticket. BTW I have rashly ordered the Blu-ray CTTE as it has new Steven Wilson mixes. Why didn't the last Floyd issues have SACD or Blu-ray, so they can sell them all again?...
 
Blogger nick: Thanks Steve, I paid you £21.

I will make sure bedding/breakfast is sorted for Friday night for you

 
Blogger Tim: I see there's an instrumental version of CTTE. Perfect for "Seasons will pass you by" karaoke.
 
Blogger Steve: And a needle drop of the original LP - what on earth will this give me apart from stress about a coming crackle?

New Oldfield album coming although if it's like the single I heard surely one to avoid. Looks like all songs as well.
 
Blogger Steve: New post as this one is too long...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger