Saturday, April 27, 2013
Tim: Camera
So I bought one of these and here's its first self portrait. It's taken me hours to get the file size reduced though.
Comments:
<< Home
nick: what are you going to do with it then?
I can reduce picture sizes easily - if you want any more done, you can just email to me (but please shrink them first so my mailbox doesn't get full). Also your program seems to have flipped the picture - the writing's all backwards.
I can reduce picture sizes easily - if you want any more done, you can just email to me (but please shrink them first so my mailbox doesn't get full). Also your program seems to have flipped the picture - the writing's all backwards.
nick: ok challenge for today then is to take a picture of the moon. It's almost full, and yesterday evening looked huge when low in the sky (but I was driving so couldn't get a picture myself).
Steve: Of course we all know that the large moon lower down is an illusion...
I am being hassled for plans for Sunday so...
We eat in Luton and come to Nick's in the evening. Drive to the bridge and do the thing. Maybe go back to visit Tim in the evening? use his facilities and eat out? We then come home as I have a list of jobs long as I ever have had.
Nick be warned it will be slow and the main issue there is clothes. I froze yesterday on my normal course as I didn't work up a sweat. You could def do it Tim at this pace. Only 10 more than Dartford and all tarmac.
Need to think about food for the day...
I am being hassled for plans for Sunday so...
We eat in Luton and come to Nick's in the evening. Drive to the bridge and do the thing. Maybe go back to visit Tim in the evening? use his facilities and eat out? We then come home as I have a list of jobs long as I ever have had.
Nick be warned it will be slow and the main issue there is clothes. I froze yesterday on my normal course as I didn't work up a sweat. You could def do it Tim at this pace. Only 10 more than Dartford and all tarmac.
Need to think about food for the day...
nick: Steve
I assume you mean "come to Nick's in the evening on Saturday" - that's fine.
Would be good to see Tim - whether that's in the rear view mirror as we go around the island, or in the evening following the ride. Actually Tim the IoW is very photogenic, so you could bring your new camera.
The weather forecast (such as it is) looks reasonably good for next Sunday - not too cold. And I've got used to cycling in sub-zero conditions this year so as long as it's not blizzarding, I think I'll be OK.
One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps the food venues along the way will only be serving "official" entrants. So yes, we may need alternative plans.
Looking forward to it!
I assume you mean "come to Nick's in the evening on Saturday" - that's fine.
Would be good to see Tim - whether that's in the rear view mirror as we go around the island, or in the evening following the ride. Actually Tim the IoW is very photogenic, so you could bring your new camera.
The weather forecast (such as it is) looks reasonably good for next Sunday - not too cold. And I've got used to cycling in sub-zero conditions this year so as long as it's not blizzarding, I think I'll be OK.
One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps the food venues along the way will only be serving "official" entrants. So yes, we may need alternative plans.
Looking forward to it!
Tim: I will be mostly staying in on Sunday (getting ready for holiday following weekend) but am totally available later for facilities, food eat in or out and anything like that.
Steve: I need the challenge.
BTW have you got any Four Tet Tim?
i will try to remember to bring the ESP album you are missing.
BTW have you got any Four Tet Tim?
i will try to remember to bring the ESP album you are missing.
nick: is that a wind up? I thought they'd booked the whole ship, not just muscled in on a kids holiday cruise.
Tim: According to this massive forum thread unsold cabins were sold off cheap to unsuspecting punters as if it were a normal cruise.
Steve: Truly unbelievable as is the exciting fact that there will be a new Boards of Canada album in June!!!
Tim: I think you've got Just To Feel Anything, and said it's not great, wouldn't mind a lend if you have. BTW I've convinced myself that you've got my Tim Hecker Harmony in Ultraviolet, until it turns up down the back of my cupboard.
Steve: Ok I have Emeralds, Does it look like I'm here? and What happened? And Haushildt's Tragedy and geometry.
Tim: Right, I got mixed up with those Emeralds then, I've got both of those. Could try the Hauschildt though please.
Tim: Do people particularly want to eat out on Sunday or shall I get something in? Don't mind either way.
Steve: Don't mind either way of course. Advantage of eating at yours is no kids or other people. I am getting really intolerant nowadays. No, even more so.
Paul would tell us to eat loads of protein to repair the damage :)
I did think you could use that glue thing to make your own copies of the record.
Paul would tell us to eat loads of protein to repair the damage :)
I did think you could use that glue thing to make your own copies of the record.
nick: So we put Steve in a bedroom at Tim's house with some sandwiches while the rest of us pile down to Pizza Hut?
Tim, we should see if this works when we next try IM
Tim, we should see if this works when we next try IM
Steve: I'm thinking of booking a car ticket for the ferry as it comes out at about £40 instead of £45 for 3 foot passengers and we would have a rescue vehicle and save the bridge crossing. And we could start where we liked. What do you think? We would have to get back at the booked time though (or earlier I suppose).
Looks to be cold but fine...
Looks to be cold but fine...
nick: Steve, sounds like a good plan. So long as we can get all the bikes in one car! (I think we can, although the person in the back may be a bit cramped)
nick: top tips for today:
CONFUSED as to how many days are in a particular month? Remember this rhyme: 'buy a calendar'
and
PREVENT a Womble infestation by maintaining a tidy and clutter-free home.
CONFUSED as to how many days are in a particular month? Remember this rhyme: 'buy a calendar'
and
PREVENT a Womble infestation by maintaining a tidy and clutter-free home.
nick: Thanks Steve.
This video of a plane crash was posted on the guardian (and other places) yesterday. I have regular dreams where I'm driving along the motorway and something like this happens in front of me so it's a bit weird seeing it like this
This video of a plane crash was posted on the guardian (and other places) yesterday. I have regular dreams where I'm driving along the motorway and something like this happens in front of me so it's a bit weird seeing it like this
Steve: My CD Walkman is playing up and I now see that virtually no-one does a FLAC player if I were to go that route. How has this happened.
Had to watch that crash 5 times for some reason. Thanks.
Had to watch that crash 5 times for some reason. Thanks.
nick: What are your options for lossless formats on a portable player?
apple (ipod etc.) don't do FLAC but you can choose to use apple lossless codec for them
apple (ipod etc.) don't do FLAC but you can choose to use apple lossless codec for them
Steve: Hmm I tried an Amazon search which was rubbish thanks. What are Sony so expensive???
I liked this and the one that followed it:
"PRETEND you're on Masterchef by having a little cry after you've cooked your tea."
I liked this and the one that followed it:
"PRETEND you're on Masterchef by having a little cry after you've cooked your tea."
Tim: Did anyone get UKIPped? Our seat is still LD, and Hampshire CC is still Con. Thinking about it there probably wasn't a vote in Luton.
nick: according to the Basingstoke Gazette, the results for my ward were
Candovers (Upton Grey, Ellisfield, Cliddesden, Preston Candover, Dummer, Oakley, Overton, North Waltham, Laverstoke)
Anna McNair Scott (Conservative) 1,674 (39.57%)
Peter Leslie (UKIP) 1,008 (23.82%)
Ian Tilbury (Independent) 1,002 (23.68%)
Yegor Ryazanov (Labour) 289 (6.83%)
Jeff Teagle (Lib Dem) 258 (6.10%)
I voted Independent because last time they'd come second. Bit of a surprise to realise that 1000 people near me would vote UKIP!
Candovers (Upton Grey, Ellisfield, Cliddesden, Preston Candover, Dummer, Oakley, Overton, North Waltham, Laverstoke)
Anna McNair Scott (Conservative) 1,674 (39.57%)
Peter Leslie (UKIP) 1,008 (23.82%)
Ian Tilbury (Independent) 1,002 (23.68%)
Yegor Ryazanov (Labour) 289 (6.83%)
Jeff Teagle (Lib Dem) 258 (6.10%)
I voted Independent because last time they'd come second. Bit of a surprise to realise that 1000 people near me would vote UKIP!
nick: Yesterday's IoW route
http://cyclemeter.com/14ac33f04c74ea53/Cycle-20130505-1013
Not sure why the mile markers aren't showing up properly in the web version.
The "detour" at mile 65 looks like it added a couple of miles, so I think the total which Deborah did was about 70 miles
http://cyclemeter.com/14ac33f04c74ea53/Cycle-20130505-1013
Not sure why the mile markers aren't showing up properly in the web version.
The "detour" at mile 65 looks like it added a couple of miles, so I think the total which Deborah did was about 70 miles
nick: Had an email from audio t (the hifi shop in Basingstoke)
"Due to tough trading conditions we have decided to close our Basingstoke Store.
We are working on the sale of our Blackpool store to its existing manager.
These changes means we can offer you some tremendous bargains at both stores!
The sale has started and will run until Saturday June 1st, which will be the
last day of trading at both stores."
Maybe worth a look at their website Steve?
"Due to tough trading conditions we have decided to close our Basingstoke Store.
We are working on the sale of our Blackpool store to its existing manager.
These changes means we can offer you some tremendous bargains at both stores!
The sale has started and will run until Saturday June 1st, which will be the
last day of trading at both stores."
Maybe worth a look at their website Steve?
Steve: I did buy a cheap (£60) USB DAC for my headphones actually. Use it at work to drive the old Sennheisers. And just look at the quality box you get with the TWO bits of cable.
nick: Following on from Steve's CD player issues: both my portable MD players have started exhibiting the same problem: they both just stop playing and lose the position they were at: it's as if the battery was taken out. There's plenty of power in the battery, and pressing "play" starts again fine, but it's lost its position so I have to FF back to where I was (annoying when I'm on track 88 of a MD that has an audiobook on it).
I did recently buy a new chewing-gum-stick style battery, because one of the original batteries died (they both take the same type). So I thought that perhaps this battery was faulty. But it's definitely happening with both batteries.
I doubt whether Audio T sells portable MD players.
I did recently buy a new chewing-gum-stick style battery, because one of the original batteries died (they both take the same type). So I thought that perhaps this battery was faulty. But it's definitely happening with both batteries.
I doubt whether Audio T sells portable MD players.
nick: I had two players. one fine, other had battery that wouldn't charge.
Bought a new battery. Now both exhibit the "randomly stop" problem. Happens with brand new battery or older (but still working) battery.
What I did wonder is whether the brand new battery has got a fault which has "infected" both players, so that even when not using it, the problem still occurs. Feels unlikely though
Bought a new battery. Now both exhibit the "randomly stop" problem. Happens with brand new battery or older (but still working) battery.
What I did wonder is whether the brand new battery has got a fault which has "infected" both players, so that even when not using it, the problem still occurs. Feels unlikely though
nick: Steve - yes, good thinking, but it does happen with different disks. It's not happening loads and it *seems* to coincide with the MD player moving (e.g. if it's on my lap and go over a bump). But I can't *make* it do it by swinging the player around or tapping it.
Can't believe that Mr + Mrs thing although it looks like it really happened
Can't believe that Mr + Mrs thing although it looks like it really happened
Steve: Does sound like a bad connection, check the contacts I guess.
Nick, we may have yr cycling glasses in our car? I just heard, not seen them yet.
Maybe they'll do Family Fortunes next. I don't think I can bring myself to watch it.
Nick, we may have yr cycling glasses in our car? I just heard, not seen them yet.
Maybe they'll do Family Fortunes next. I don't think I can bring myself to watch it.
nick: oh yes, that probably is my cycling glasses, thanks. I don't have any pressing need for them so no worries about getting them back to me urgently
nick: My dad is here tonight so can't play PitF. Hope you have a good holiday Tim -looking forward to lots of pictures
I reached the final episode of The Sopranos - thought it was a good ending, but felt the last series was a bit weak - they stretched it out a bit too much I think, and maybe ran out of ideas. Great programme though.
I reached the final episode of The Sopranos - thought it was a good ending, but felt the last series was a bit weak - they stretched it out a bit too much I think, and maybe ran out of ideas. Great programme though.
nick: Steve, are you in Luton for the next bank holiday weekend (25-27 May)?
I ask because I was *considering* cycling to Luton and back, and maybe staying at yours on the Sunday 26 evening if that would be convenient. No firm plans at all, just sounding out the possibilities.
There was a good programme about Richard Feynman on last night - includes interviews with him. Available on iPlayer
I ask because I was *considering* cycling to Luton and back, and maybe staying at yours on the Sunday 26 evening if that would be convenient. No firm plans at all, just sounding out the possibilities.
There was a good programme about Richard Feynman on last night - includes interviews with him. Available on iPlayer
Steve: Hmm, bit far to come to get your sunglasses. Actually we are away that weekend and following week on holiday. You plan certainly sounds ambitious.
Post a Comment
<< Home


