Monday, March 04, 2013
Steve: March
Comments:
<< Home
Steve: Well I took a Frank Gambale album with me so that I guess. Today is A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
One other thing I noticed testing was how different levels of volume were required between them.
One other thing I noticed testing was how different levels of volume were required between them.
Tim: Good point, I may be living in the past, although I did see some earphones in Poundland (while buying HDMI cables), so prices may go down as well as up. Like you say though, beautifully made is what counts.
Steve: Get the USB fairy lights while they have them as I couldn't source any at Christmas. (I don't need any.) BTW have ordered mini-meeples to make D some earrings for her birthday. Can't justify £25 for a t-shirt...
Tim: Yes, got a couple of HDMI, one is on the PS3 now, the other ready for graphics card. BTW I'm available at 8:30 for PitF.
nick: Tim, sorry but can't make 8.30 tonight. Will try to arrange things better tomorrow.
This isn't showing up on Anvil or band website, but according to brochure I just got sent, Tubular Bells "For Two" is on at the Anvil on Sun 9 June at 7.30. Anyone interested? Tickets are £20.
(I expect Steve has already been with all his other mates, but thought I'd offer the opportunity)
This isn't showing up on Anvil or band website, but according to brochure I just got sent, Tubular Bells "For Two" is on at the Anvil on Sun 9 June at 7.30. Anyone interested? Tickets are £20.
(I expect Steve has already been with all his other mates, but thought I'd offer the opportunity)
Tim: Took me ages to work out what you meant. That sort of part.
Or maybe we'll get Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells II, Tubular Bells III, and the Millennium Bell? Now that's sounding a bit long.
Or maybe we'll get Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells II, Tubular Bells III, and the Millennium Bell? Now that's sounding a bit long.
nick: pc arrived (at work) - I have the afternoon off so will try and set it up then. I'm going to partition the drive so I can dual boot Linux/Windows, just have to decide which distro to use.
Oh, and install PitF on Windows obviously
Oh, and install PitF on Windows obviously
Steve: Tim have you got the new Autechre yet? Good value for a double. I was going to get it and maybe order from them and get free 24-bit downloads. If I can work out how to use them...
Tim: Installed my new graphics card last night, no problem. Apparently, being the bottleneck, it limits my Windows Experience Index to 7.3
According to the first Microsoft page I found about WEI that's 7.3 out of 5.9, so not a bad score really.
But anyway, that's about that now. Just got to connect any other odd devices and fans that I can, tidy up the wiring, and try and get the case shut. And then give it a spin using the old TV.
According to the first Microsoft page I found about WEI that's 7.3 out of 5.9, so not a bad score really.
But anyway, that's about that now. Just got to connect any other odd devices and fans that I can, tidy up the wiring, and try and get the case shut. And then give it a spin using the old TV.
nick: After a bit of fiddling with cables, my PC also seems to be fine. I think my WEI was 7.1, constrained by graphics card (other components were 7.9 which is the max for Windows 7 according to wikipedia
So will be trying to install Ubuntu tonight, but should be ready for a super-fast HD surround sound game of PitF soon!
So will be trying to install Ubuntu tonight, but should be ready for a super-fast HD surround sound game of PitF soon!
Steve: My quad-core 1yr-old laptop is 5.9, slowest being disk and it has encryption. Rest of mine are 7.7-6.7.
nick: Haven't done anything on mine yet which stresses the system so I've not noticed it being notably quick (apart from booting)
But task manager shows 8 cpus that seem not to be doing anything whatsoever, so I'm expecting my linux builds (which use parallel make and are CPU constrained) to be pretty quick.
But task manager shows 8 cpus that seem not to be doing anything whatsoever, so I'm expecting my linux builds (which use parallel make and are CPU constrained) to be pretty quick.
Tim: That's 1 cpu each for every tank in your army then. They're going to be really fast.
Likely PitF slots for me are tonight, early Sat, Sunday late afternoon or night.
Likely PitF slots for me are tonight, early Sat, Sunday late afternoon or night.
Steve: Just started reading a book on the Falklands Vulcan bombing mission. You have to see this to believe it, I added the re-fuelling diagram to this entry. Couldn't find it on the Internet.
Tim: I think that was in the news a bit for the 30th anniversary, so I have seen diagrams like that (there's one at Wikipedia). Amazing. Don't read the article though, it'll spoil the ending.
nick: Didn't they have a TV programme about this some time ago? I remember someone telling me about it (maybe it was Tony) but I missed it.
I just finished "HHhH" and "Murder on the Western Front" and enjoyed both - thanks Steve.
Also just finished "All Quiet on the Western Front" this week, purely coincidentally
I just finished "HHhH" and "Murder on the Western Front" and enjoyed both - thanks Steve.
Also just finished "All Quiet on the Western Front" this week, purely coincidentally
Tim: I ordered the two new Klaus Schulze albums. (The new new one and the new old one.) What's the matter with me?
Tim: Also Nick, I can't remember whether you said you were available for PitF on Wednesday, I wasn't but am now.
nick: Tim, think I can do tonight. 8.30 ok?
I was off work Mon/Tue this week, with a cold. which also meant I didn't go cycling for two days! But I intend to go again tonight and to aim for every day (that I can).
I was off work Mon/Tue this week, with a cold. which also meant I didn't go cycling for two days! But I intend to go again tonight and to aim for every day (that I can).
nick: Maybe time for some planning for the Randonnee? It's on Sun 5th May, which means that we get a recovery bank holiday on Mon 6th.
Steve do you and Deborah want to come and stay at ours that weekend? Tim, should we pick you up on the Sunday morning? etc..
Steve do you and Deborah want to come and stay at ours that weekend? Tim, should we pick you up on the Sunday morning? etc..
nick: you could always do it anticlockwise at the same time, then we could meet you at the half-way point, and have lunch
Steve: Crikey 2 dubious-looking KS albums. Although he can be pretty good in collaborations so you never know with the first one.
BTW some of that Brand X live album is outstanding but a lot of it is not great sound quality.
Yes I guess we need to stay somewhere thanks for the offer. I keep warning her to get fit (you don't need to worry Tim). And you don't really want to do it anti-clockwise due to a big hill that is gentle the other way up. At least you have committed to do it next year :)
I suppose registering will get you the card/certificate but you don't need it as the signs are permanent and you could follow the crowds.
We are doing the London-Brighton this year. D was going to do it on her own! I quite fancy the off-road one later in the year...
BTW some of that Brand X live album is outstanding but a lot of it is not great sound quality.
Yes I guess we need to stay somewhere thanks for the offer. I keep warning her to get fit (you don't need to worry Tim). And you don't really want to do it anti-clockwise due to a big hill that is gentle the other way up. At least you have committed to do it next year :)
I suppose registering will get you the card/certificate but you don't need it as the signs are permanent and you could follow the crowds.
We are doing the London-Brighton this year. D was going to do it on her own! I quite fancy the off-road one later in the year...
nick: Tim- not going to be able to make tonight I'm afraid. Should be ok for Sunday though - will confirm nearer the time
nick: Tim sorry about yesterday, didn't get back from Exeter until about 9. Hope you got and made sense of Ella's comprehensive email!
Am busy Mon/Tue/Wed this week - possible available on Thursday.
Got the map thanks, and I did read through the manual about battlegroups and squads, so I think it makes a bit more sense, although I was not near the PC when doing this so couldn't try it out.
Realised that my AV amp was still set to "use subwoofer" even though the subwoofer isn't there any more. Switched it to "no subwoofer" and it sounds noticeably better (presumably it wasn't bothering to send any bass to the main speakers). Still not confident that it's optimally configured though - there are loads of settings with names like "pure direct" and "direct stereo" and "ALC surround" and I can't work out which ones mean "don't do any processing at all" - the manual isn't particularly clear.
Am busy Mon/Tue/Wed this week - possible available on Thursday.
Got the map thanks, and I did read through the manual about battlegroups and squads, so I think it makes a bit more sense, although I was not near the PC when doing this so couldn't try it out.
Realised that my AV amp was still set to "use subwoofer" even though the subwoofer isn't there any more. Switched it to "no subwoofer" and it sounds noticeably better (presumably it wasn't bothering to send any bass to the main speakers). Still not confident that it's optimally configured though - there are loads of settings with names like "pure direct" and "direct stereo" and "ALC surround" and I can't work out which ones mean "don't do any processing at all" - the manual isn't particularly clear.
Tim: Hi, yes I got various messages thanks, but it was a while until I looked for them (except here). No probs! Thursday appears to be clear at the moment.
nick: Just finished my third (almost in-a-row) Dennis Lehane book (after "Mystic River" and "Live by Night"). This was "Shutter Island". Quite impressed that all three books have been different in style. This one reminded me a lot of "All Quiet on the Orient Express" - you had the feeling that *something nasty* might be going to happen, but there's not really anything you can put your finger on to say why. Steve might like it. I think Tim would like "All Quiet on the Orient Express".
nick: Maybe a bit risky, given experience with "Mystic River", but DVD for "Shutter Island" just arrived (£3 from amazon, cheaper than buying the book!)
Steve: Kraftwerk headline Latitude (3D) and you can get day tickets, wonder if I am free... Any interest? Rest of the lineup looks pants but could do comedy etc the rest of the day. About £80.
Tim: Nick, I should be OK for PitF any time tonight. Also, according to the forum, there's a program update to download.
Steve: Yes awful line-up as I said. I'll get Exai in as its only a tenner for a double. Or £13 from the site and 24-bit downloads. Found that the kit I have cannot play 24-bit across USB! So looking at some USB-SPDIF adapter now which is annoying.
nick: Steve, did you find out because the sound was missing "a certain something", or for some other reason?
Tim, should be ok for 8.30pm tonight if that's OK
Tim, should be ok for 8.30pm tonight if that's OK
Steve: 3rd row from the front any good? Let me know so I can book tonight b4 the rest of the world...
Steve: I can't seem to book and the discounts have all gone, can you see if you can try and get 4 Nick (not heard from Tim)? Everything I select says not available or you haven't selected anything. Box office not open til 10. I have officially given up as I have tried different browsers and different machines.
nick: ok I'll have a go now
phil (brother) said he'd tried to book last night and wasn't able to, but I'd assumed that was because public booking wasn't yet open
phil (brother) said he'd tried to book last night and wasn't able to, but I'd assumed that was because public booking wasn't yet open
nick: I'm either getting the page asking for my barbican code and telling me that all the discounts have gone, or I get a message saying the selection I want isn't available.
I'm assuming maybe something will happen at 10am?
The seating map does consistently show the same seats as being available, but won't let me book them.
Shall I try calling them at 10, or is there an advantage in Steve doing that with the membership number?
I'm assuming maybe something will happen at 10am?
The seating map does consistently show the same seats as being available, but won't let me book them.
Shall I try calling them at 10, or is there an advantage in Steve doing that with the membership number?
nick: Tim I can do 8pm tonight if that's any good?
Also, I bought a Microsoft wireless desktop (I think it's this one) which I don't get on with. It works OK for Windows (when you plug it in, Windows detects and downloads some management software for it) but when I use it in Linux the mouse is much too sensitive and there's no way to adjust it. Also the scroll wheel is smooth analogue and can't be switched to the clicky digital scroll that I prefer. Anyone want it?
Also, I bought a Microsoft wireless desktop (I think it's this one) which I don't get on with. It works OK for Windows (when you plug it in, Windows detects and downloads some management software for it) but when I use it in Linux the mouse is much too sensitive and there's no way to adjust it. Also the scroll wheel is smooth analogue and can't be switched to the clicky digital scroll that I prefer. Anyone want it?
nick: Guide to navigating Windows 8 desktop and tiles might be handy - I am using Windows 8 with keyboard and mouse and hadn't realised that there are keyboard shortcuts to bring up the "charms" etc.. I find moving the mouse to the "hot corners" to be a bit hit and miss
nick: windows 8 charms
They can be quite handy but most of the time I make them appear accidentally, and then when I want them I can't work out how to do it
They can be quite handy but most of the time I make them appear accidentally, and then when I want them I can't work out how to do it
Tim: Oh, them. Those things that don't quite do the thing that you need, even when you can find them.
Tim: Anybody doing anything interesting over Easter? It looks like I'm mostly staying in. Got a home game on Monday, super.
Lots of availability for PitF, Nick, starting this evening. Let me know what slots you've got.
Lots of availability for PitF, Nick, starting this evening. Let me know what slots you've got.
nick: Tim sorry I have been laid low with a cod again, early night last night. Busy this evening with lifts (Lesley coming back to lhr). Probably up for a session on Saturday though? Afternoon or evening would be ok I think how are you fixed?
Tim: There's nothing worse than a cod. Pretty sure I'm available so just post up a time when you've got a clue.
nick: Tim
I think Lesley will be getting the evening flight again tonight, so - 3.30pm this afternoon ok?
I think Lesley will be getting the evening flight again tonight, so - 3.30pm this afternoon ok?
nick: I've verified that the firewall rule I added on my router (allowing incoming stuff over port 1944 TCP) was working properly, by attempting to make a connection from my office to home, and seeing the that connection works/fails depending on whether the firewall rule is turned on/off. I can also see the router logging that the rule has been triggered, whereas there are no logs of this type from the time we've played CC.
I can't find documentation on this for PitF but perhaps they want UDP instead/as well, so I opened that too (not so easy for me to test that this is working, but I can't see why it wouldn't).
Windows firewall is currently turned on, but I think it's set to notify me something new happens which it doesn't like, and I've seen no messages. But I suppose it might be worth turning it off altogether.
So next time, maybe the UDP rule will work; failing that I'll turn the windows firewall off altogether; failing that we go back to lobby. And maybe I'll enter a note in the support forum
I can't find documentation on this for PitF but perhaps they want UDP instead/as well, so I opened that too (not so easy for me to test that this is working, but I can't see why it wouldn't).
Windows firewall is currently turned on, but I think it's set to notify me something new happens which it doesn't like, and I've seen no messages. But I suppose it might be worth turning it off altogether.
So next time, maybe the UDP rule will work; failing that I'll turn the windows firewall off altogether; failing that we go back to lobby. And maybe I'll enter a note in the support forum
Tim: Good work. But is there a reason why you haven't had any Windows firewall messages (in your tests)?
Tim: Nick, change of plan, I'm off out in a min. Available this afty/evening, earliest kick-off 3pm.
nick: is there a reason why you haven't had any Windows firewall messages (in your tests)?
Well, for my test I ran a java program which sat and waited for a connection on port 1944. And when that started, I did get a windows message "do you want to allow java to do network access" or something. Which I think is the same message I got as when I ran CC for the first time.
After that, I didn't get any Windows messages (either when I ran the piogram again, or when the connection actually came in).
So I'm assuming that I've given blanket "OK" to both java and CC to sit and wait for incoming network connections.
Re: later today, ok I'll let you know. Need to give Ella a lift although I don't know when yet.
Well, for my test I ran a java program which sat and waited for a connection on port 1944. And when that started, I did get a windows message "do you want to allow java to do network access" or something. Which I think is the same message I got as when I ran CC for the first time.
After that, I didn't get any Windows messages (either when I ran the piogram again, or when the connection actually came in).
So I'm assuming that I've given blanket "OK" to both java and CC to sit and wait for incoming network connections.
Re: later today, ok I'll let you know. Need to give Ella a lift although I don't know when yet.
Tim: Thinking about it, probably be more fun to restart that scenario from scratch. The rerun option used to do the trick for end-of-game crashes, but it'll be a bit too contrived with 5 mins to go. What do you think?
nick: There was a reply on the matrix support forum: they suggest testing that it's possible to establish a connection from your PC to mine outside of CC.
To do what they say, could you download the Softerra LDAP admin program
and install it then run it and use
File->New Profile
profile name "nicks pc"
Host: [my ip address which I'll work out at the time]
Port: 1944
Anonymous user
Leave everything else default.
That'll make it attempt to make an LDAP connection over port 1944 to my system, and I'll have something running on my system listening on port 1944 that pretends to be an LDAP server but will tell me when a connection comes in.
Before we start, I'll check what my IP address is so you can enter it (I used to have a fixed one but not any more).
Post a Comment
To do what they say, could you download the Softerra LDAP admin program
and install it then run it and use
File->New Profile
profile name "nicks pc"
Host: [my ip address which I'll work out at the time]
Port: 1944
Anonymous user
Leave everything else default.
That'll make it attempt to make an LDAP connection over port 1944 to my system, and I'll have something running on my system listening on port 1944 that pretends to be an LDAP server but will tell me when a connection comes in.
Before we start, I'll check what my IP address is so you can enter it (I used to have a fixed one but not any more).
<< Home



