Friday, February 01, 2013
 
nick:  February

Can you tell what it is (yet)?

Tim, are you available this weekend? Maybe I could come down and see the supercomputer some time?

Comments:
Blogger Steve: Car bonnet? Very good BTW. Album cover material?
 
Blogger nick: Steve - near enough: it's frost on my car roof

 
Blogger Tim: Nice.

What free slots have you got?
 
Blogger nick: sat pm or sun pm?

 
Blogger Tim: Right, Sat pm is out, but let's try and do Sun pm. What sort of time?
 
Blogger nick: 3-ish? I might try and do the cycle/train thing, although I see that there aren't any direct trains back from HE on Sun, you have to change at Eastleigh
 
Blogger Tim: Should be fine.

Picked up the PSU on the way home and have just booted the motherboard successfully. Graphics card doing the trick, thanks (but noisily, so that's another excuse to upgrade soon).
 
Blogger nick: Clear and reasoned advice for cycling near lorries
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I'm very wary of them. Couple of weeks ago Paul and I had a driver sound his horn and come alongside us on the A6 to tell us to use the cycle lane. Sorry to say I snapped and shouted at him to F-off. His window was next to Paul so I couldn't hear the conversation but it's intimidation at the very least. I have actually tried that cycle path and it is a narrow bumpy tarmac footpath with the usual crap on it. Why do people hate cyclists, is it the freedom, fitness that makes them jealous?

White Out is not what I expected although it sounds promising. What sound like real instruments like double-bass, accordion(?) and lots of percussion. I thought it would be some sort of snow-storm electronic sequencer thing. No sequencers at all!

Anyone any experience of noise-cancelling headphones? Or just nice portable ones? If I read user reviews there are as many slagging each model as there are loving them.
 
Blogger Tim: Nope, can't help with that.

Nick, I'll be out a bit this morning but deffo at home after 2.
 
Blogger nick: Ok I plan to get to yours at 2:30pm. Sounds like I need to be home by 6pm in order to give Lesley a lift to the airport so you don't have to put up with me for long...
 
Blogger Tim: Right, I'm in, back gate and door will be open.
 
Blogger Steve: Anyone going on this? I just hope it doesn't sink with all of those lovely lads on board.

And their 2013 tour is going to be The Yes Album/Close to the Edge/Going for the One in their entirety. Shame no Tales or Relayer.
 
Blogger nick: I have a pair of sennheiser pxc250 not sure if you can still get this model. Pro: they are good at cancelling out noise especially droney stuff like pc noise. Not so effective at more dynamic noise eg conversation. Con: bit of a faff to carry around as battery compartment thing is quite big. Also needs batteries although they last a long time and headphones work ok even when noise cancelling thing switched off. I mainly use at home rather tan on the move mainly because of the bulkiness issue
 
Blogger Tim: We've been to some iffy events but that cruise looks like an absolute nightmare.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes stuck on a ship with a load of weirdos :)

Cheers Nick, those were the ones I was looking at, Don't want silence else I'll get run over. Can you avoid using the cancelling bit or is it hard-wired?

Sub-woofers are back in stock with my mate so I could be tempted if I could work out where to put it...
 
Blogger nick: Steve, you don't have to have the sound cancelling turned on. When it *is* turned on, it boosts the volume slightly so the effect of turning it off is to make things sound a little bit flat.

As I mentioned, mostly effective for droney type noises e.g. it'll make computer fans noises go away. Also helpful when hoovering. I can't remember using them outdoors (I've got little earbud type things for when I'm on the move).
 
Blogger nick: If you want Steve, I can bring the Sennheisers on Saturday so you can try them out for a while.
 
Blogger Steve: Ah good idea thanks as they are so variable. My Dad didn't realise they are showing the film as well as the music! Just checked IMDB thinking it's well old the film so will be short but it's 1938 and 112 minutes so that told me.
 
Blogger Tim: Seems I've got a by-election to look forward to.
 
Blogger nick: Tim, does "Panthers in the Fog" run on 64-bit Windows?

 
Blogger Tim: Yes, work's on Tina's laptop.

What you need is a new homebuild pc.
 
Blogger nick: Looking at the "quietpc" website it looks like (if I'm working things out right) that if you buy components from them to build a PC equivalent to one that they'll build for you then you can save ~£100. So it costs £100 to make sure it's properly assembled and is guaranteed..

I like the idea of building one as per Tim, and the fans Tim's got do seem pretty quiet. But I also like the look of the little fanless ones.

Tim, I'm sure you checked this, but - does the output of the HDMI port just have picture, or is it sound as well? It feels like it would make sense for it to have sound, because if you're plugging it into an AV amp then that's what you'd normally do with HDMI. But if the HDMI is simply another interface on the graphics card then I'm not sure how that works?

 
Blogger Tim: Yes they look nice, fanless is good, it depends on everything being sufficiently low-power (e.g. that's an Ivy Bridge processor rather than Sandy Bridge). I'm considering a fanless graphics card. And yes, HDMI graphics cards do sound but that's all I can tell you.
 
Blogger nick: Investment opportunity
 
Blogger nick: This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Blogger nick: oops, got that link wrong. Try again
 
Blogger nick: tim, I think I'm likely to be taking Lesley to airport around 6pm, so would 7.30 be any good for you tonight to get completely annihilated?
 
Blogger Tim: Don't think I can make it until 8:30, is that OK?
 
Blogger nick: ok 8.30 is fine

 
Blogger Steve: I've tried the Sennheisers thanks Nick and I'm not sure what to make of them... They are really tinny when not using the noise-cancelling and not too loud when switched on. I like the feel of the build quality but the noise-cancelling thing is huge and it feels like a mess of cables. The noise cancelling is I'd say pretty moderate so no danger of getting run over but also it doesn't seem to improve things. It's as if they boost the volume when switched on to make you think it's the cancelling that is doing it.

So my only option is to try some in a shop. My £20 15-year-old Sony's are taking some beating!

Reviews for the Nevsky seem a bit tame but I really liked it and it has got me listening again to the 38 minute version I have again (in the snow). Then I moved on to his symphonies which are excellent.
 
Blogger nick: Well I do notice the volume boost when you turn them on, but they definitely do seem to reduce background noise (or at least steady drony hummy type noise).

Agree with you about the cables and stuff, I always get them tangled up.

After "Mystic River" impressed me (the book more than the film) I got another Dennis Lehane book Live by Night and it's turning out to be pretty excellent. Unlike Mysic River it's set in prohibition America so feels a bit more like LA Confidential but the store is a cracker - loads of stuff has happened already and I'm only a quarter of the way through. I deliberately didn't read the back cover so have no clue how it's going to turn out.

 
Blogger nick: Just ordered a FC8 based fanless PC from quietpc. Considered doing a build-it-yourself but I'm too worried I might muck it up...
 
Blogger Steve: Is anyone around next weekend as I am 100% free?
 
Blogger nick: Steve if you mean 23/24 Feb then yes I'm free, except Sunday morning when I'm on steward duty

Maybe time for another ride - it was last February that we did the one from Tim's house. Or perhaps Tim's new PC will be finished and we can play with that?
 
Blogger Steve: May be difficult to get my bike down there, I'm thinking about it. It's train times and where to put it here. What state is the spare in?
 
Blogger nick: Haven't been out on the road bike for some time. So far as I know it's OK.

My MTB needs a bit of maintenance this weekend - it's getting a bit creaky having been out in the snow and rain a bit, and rear derailleur was squeaking a lot this morning when I went out with Cathryn.

Maybe it would it be easier for us to come to you?
 
Blogger Steve: No it's fine to come to you. Maybe I will do the train bit after peak time allowing me to have a Friday pub lunch with the lads :) It would be old road bike as it has mudguards/lights. Tim it's February, does this still rule out rides?
 
Blogger nick: It was Feb 18 that we did it last year
 
Blogger Tim: I should be available some of the time, and I suppose cycling is a possibility...
 
Blogger nick: tim - cc tonight? I have to take Lesley to the airport again so could manage same as last week, 8.30 - ok with you? Else I can probably fit in some time in the coming week
 
Blogger Tim: 8:30 can do.
 
Blogger Steve: I have got a key to the bike store so the plan would be come down to Basingstoke after peak time Friday night with old road bike. Return Sunday morning when you go to church Nick unless you are around Tim. D is out til late afternoon.
 
Blogger nick: Sounds OK with me Steve. Ella is working Friday night so needs a lift at 9.30pm and collecting at 7.30am Sat morning, but that's all I might have to do and probably Lesley can do one or both of these if we're out. I suppose I ought to be cycling to church on Sunday - need to be there at 8.30am though!
 
Blogger Tim: I'm free Saturday, not so much Sunday. Also could make it up there Friday night if that fits in. And if we do cycling Saturday are we ending up at Hedge End, I'll get some dinner in if so.
 
Blogger Steve: OK sounds like a plan I will return with you on the church run. Early is fine. And yes we could end up at Hedge End Saturday weather depending I suppose.
 
Blogger Tim: Forecast for Saturday is cloudy, chilly, but dry. Quite windy from the NE. I should think we could do the ride early afternoon say, but obviously I won't complain if somebody has a better idea!
 
Blogger Tim: Actually, just realised that Friday night is a bit tricky. Will have to try and get an earlyish train Saturday instead.
 
Blogger Tim: And it's getting a bit cold.
 
Blogger Steve: Well we could always ride to you while you slave over an ambient stove. Don't forget that Nick HAS to ride every day no matter what the weather/illness.
 
Blogger nick: bbc weather says temperature between 2° and 3° on Sat pm - positively balmy! But yes I could imagine without warm clothing you might feel the cold. I have spare leg warmers and head-warmer thing you could borrow
 
Blogger Steve: He'll be fine with some (even) thicker socks.

BTW someone we know had a small chocolate bar put through the letterbox with a post-it pad saying "1 John 4v10". Should we eat the chocolate.....
 
Blogger Tim: It's definitely freezing. Here's a possible plan B:
See you at Micheldever Station about 10. I'll work out a 10-15 mile bendy route back to Nick's. Later on, I scrounge a lift back to Hedgey with 1 bike and subwoofer, and shove us some dinner in the oven. Any good?
 
Blogger Steve: Sounds fine to me, we can do a 10-15 mile on the way there. On the subwoofer front, I'd be happy to build you one Nick from Mr IPL if you will miss it. If you are serious about proper speakers I can have a think about it but you will appreciate it's a ton of work.

Tim, I need to try Cloud About Mercury again, don't let me forget.
 
Blogger nick: Sounds fine with me Tim. Steve, shortest route from my house to MD is about 4 miles Tim doesn't need to know that, we can tell him we started at 6.30am and did 25 miles to get there.

I don't know if I will miss the subwoofer - maybe when it's not there I'll feel a huge space but tbh I'm not sure I notice it. As I mentioned before one problem is there are so many dials/settings that it's hard to know what's going on. You're welcome to have a play with it though
 
Blogger nick: You're chance to be part of the first 3d printing pen
 
Blogger Tim: We'll have to ride through Steventon so we can send ourselves postcards.
 
Blogger Steve: I'm thinking a subwoofer is the one time you do actually need some sort of test CD that sweeps the frequencies. Otherwise you are in danger of duplicating.

Spent 3days WFH with my good old full-size Sennheisers and the Sonys on the way in sounded terrible so I do need to spend some money! Looking at THIS for work now I get less interruptions.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I can vouch for the coldness having cycled across London just now. I think socks IS the key. I will aim to ride to your house Nick BTW so will give ETA later.
 
Blogger nick: Just came back from ride with Cathryn. BBC Weather claims it's -2 here now, but it actually didn't seem too bad. I have one of those balaclava under-helmet things and THAT is key
 
Blogger Steve: You weren't going fast enough Nick.

Yes I hope the fashion police are staying indoors tomorrow.
 
Blogger Tim: Right, I've got long pants I can wear, and socks obviously. Wouldn't mind an option on the spare "head-warmer thing".
Just checked the trains, due to arr MIC 10:05.
 
Blogger nick: Tim - I've got spare head warmer and spare leg warmers. I'll bring them. Also have some arm warmers which I've not found the need to wear this year so could bring them too.
 
Blogger Steve: Trying to snow here :)
 
Blogger nick: Took car back to national tyres - they had a look and say they think it was some kind of heat shield/shim near the brake pad having come a bit loose. Refitted it and noise seems to have stopped - result! Thanks for your help with that one.
 
Blogger nick: Tim I don't have to take Lesley to the airport tonight as she's not going to Scotland until later in the week. So am up for a bit of cc any time that suits you
 
Blogger Tim: Oops, have just seen that. 8:30?
 
Blogger nick: 8:30 ok would probably prefer to do a single match the the campaign because I've not done any planning!
 
Blogger Tim: Same here. Which one? Then I can peep at the objectives. Also, although it's for girls, it might be worth doing an operation (?) after that.
 
Blogger nick: not got my windows system booted to have a look at the moment, but what about the second one, alphabetically, that appears in the list?

 
Blogger nick: "Barenton" 30th infantry vs 275.ID
 
Blogger Tim: That'll do fine, see you shortly.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes good I don't look too fat.

Glass booked, don't worry about paying til the day.
 
Blogger nick: Excellent, thanks Steve. I can pay into your bank account if you give us the number? Just post sort code/ac on this blog, I'm sure that'll be fine
 
Blogger Tim: Ooh brilliant, thanks. Now you're a member, are we going every week?
 
Blogger Steve: Hmm it was an order for the membership and one for the tickets and both times they add an optional £3 donation so this is going to get a bit wearing if we go every week!

BTW they had second row but they were cheaper tickets so I went for the most expensive which turned out to be row K after a fair bit of agonising. Oh, and switching browser as the basket didn't work.
 
Blogger nick: I have the CDs of "Music in Twelve Parts" in case anyone wants a borrow.
 
Blogger Tim: Row K sounds good. I also have CDs, and I've even been tempted to buy newer versions, but resisted.
 
Blogger nick: Jim'll paint it
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, should be OK for PitF later, after University Challenge, say 8:35?
 
Blogger nick: Tim I think 8.35 should be ok

 
Blogger nick: Tim I think 8.35 should be ok

 
Blogger Steve: Maybe a stupid question but are we expecting anything to look at here or just 4 hours of nernerNERnernerNERnernerNERNER?

I liked the scenarios for the artist to draw, very Vic 'n' Bob.
 
Blogger Tim: Might be worth taking a book.
 
Blogger nick: ...and a walkman?
 
Blogger Tim: And a pillow.
 
Blogger nick: was thinking about posting a card in Steventon. Someone here was interested too, but checked with Royal Mail first. The reply is

Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid some press articles confused the availability of the Jane Austen special franking.

It is only mail posted in the village of Chawton that will receive the special stamp for a week - 21-27 February.

Steventon first day facilities were available as normal in Post Offices on 21 February.


Hmm not sure if I fancy cycling to Chawton....
 
Blogger Tim: Only 13 miles from your house!
 
Blogger nick: Saw the film of "Cloud Atlas" last night. It was quite impressive, and I enjoyed it, although I'm not sure the overall story (such as it was) stands up to scrutiny. Not really like any other film I've seen, and the book was described as "un-filmable" so I think they did well to make a movie of it, but can't help feeling they could have done a better job. I've not read the book though, so perhaps the book had the same shortcomings.

Pretty long at 3 hours, I didn't get home until 1.30am. How was the ballet, Tim?
 
Blogger Steve: The Robin Guthrie album is very nice, er Cocteau Twins without the singing? And I see that one of those Fax albums is limited to 300! And it looks like this has been the case for a while. I'm amazed they only sell this many of their releases although admittedly people may be going for downloads. And they are selling out.

Headphone amp ordered so we shall see and headphone shopping Saturday.
 
Blogger Tim: Ballet not bad, also 3 hours long and story iffy, otherwise pretty impressive.

Got the card cheers, how did you manage that?

Just been to vote, and put out the recycling bin full of election leaflets.
 
Blogger nick: Think I can manage CC at 8.30 if you're up for it (just finished tea)

Bought Jane Austen stamps on Tuesday; went to Steventon church at 7am Wednesday morning and bought the only postcards they had in there, then here in search of a postbox.

I sent one to Lesley, which came today - the postmark isn't very legible!
 
Blogger Tim: Just seen that but I'm knackered and going in the bath sorry. Hard day at the office, no brains left for strategy.
 
Blogger nick: no prob. Hope you managed to do lots of voting!
 
Blogger Tim: Forgot to say: so it was Chawton on the way to work? Well done!
 
Blogger Steve: Yes postcard arrived yesterday thanks.
 
Blogger nick: I didn't realise that Steve Reich and Philip Glass used to run a furniture removal business
 
Blogger Tim: Nick: I remembered this morning that Saturday mornings are a possible PitF slot for me, don't know about you.

Steve, mostly: we had a Christmas HMV voucher to spend and have managed it, a bit of a struggle. I got a copy of Fripp/Wine of Silence, so that will be available to borrow. You don't want to know what Tina chose.
 
Blogger nick: Tim, usually I'm busy Sat am but I'll bear it in mind. Are you free tomorrow (Sunday) evening?

Bought "Atoms for Peace" today (on CD from HMV!). I think it's possibly OK....

Steve what was your headphone shopping experience like?
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, 8:30 tonight's OK.
 
Blogger Tim: I seem to have installed XP onto my new machine using a Dell recovery CD. The only holdup was that initially the installer couldn't see any HD, I had to switch the SSD from (some acronym) to IDE. After that it appeared to work. Plenty of scope for trouble still ahead though.
 
Blogger Tim: It took a couple of goes, but Windows 8 Pro 64bit is now on there. No idea how to use it though.
 
Blogger nick: well done! can you find the "start" button?
 
Blogger Tim: I did see it at one point.

Shutting down can also be a problem.
 
Blogger nick: It's now no longer February so perhaps time for a new post, and you could stick some pictures of your PC on it Tim
 
Blogger Tim: My PC may not be quite as photogenic as yours (when it comes) but I'll see what I can do.
 
Blogger Steve: Too late I'm going with headphones...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger