Friday, November 02, 2012
 
Steve:  Holidays

Carry on with the arrangements for Monday...


Comments:
Blogger nick: excellent pic! albeit a bit cliched
 
Blogger nick: also it looks a bit wonky, is the pier level?
 
Blogger Tim: That explains why the sea has drained away.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I know its not cliched thanks but it def is wonky. I need a grid on the screen, didn't have this trouble with viewfinders. D's £60 compact BTW.
 
Blogger nick: it is a pretty good shot. shows that you don't need fantastic equipment
 
Blogger nick: I finished my audiobook, so travelling home tonight I have the bagpipe mashup to look forward to
 
Blogger Tim: It's all gone quiet.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes, pls state a meeting point for 6:30.
 
Blogger nick: I can be at waterloo at 18:35 will be coming from Hampton
 
Blogger Tim: OK, I'll aim for 18:34 then.
 
Blogger Steve: I am assuming unlike last time that you have the tickets Tim...
 
Blogger Tim: I do. I thought about giving two of them to Nick but.
 
Blogger Steve: OK I'll hang around somewhere at 6:30. Am I right in thinking it's the same support act?
 
Blogger Tim: So it is.

Let's meet by Platform 10.
 
Blogger nick: as luck would have it there is a pasty shop near there, so we'll be able to spot steve by following the crumb-trail.
 
Blogger Steve: Good plan, and D did me 2 packed lunches today so I will be well sorted for food.
 
Blogger nick: Guardian liked the gig
 
Blogger Tim: That was Sunday's, some of the tracks were different last night*:
Hope Drone (unreleased)
Mladic (A!DB!A!)
* Moya (Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada)
Behemoth (unreleased)
* BBF3 (Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada)

So that was the whole of Slow Riot, instead of other stuff.

Nick, you only missed one last surge and we were off. Neil managed to catch the 11:15 even.

I've finally got round to ordering Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven, so you'll be forced to borrow that at some point soon.
 
Blogger nick: I was so impressed by "Moya" that I asked Neil which album it was off and took a photo of his ipod screen to remember it. But the photo was blurred and so I bought/downloaded "f#a# (infinity)", which was an EP, because I remembered he said the track was on an EP.

Then found I'd bought the wrong EP on there, so have subsequently bought the right EP (Slow Riot) which, now I come to check, does look more like the photo I took.

 
Blogger Tim: I wouldn't have called F♯A♯∞ an EP, but if that's what it said.

Hang on, the original vinyl was only 40 mins, the subsequent CD is much longer - but presumably that's what your download consists of?


 
Blogger nick: yes, I downloaded something that is billed as an EP but has over an hour of music on it - Dead Flag Blues (16:28), East Hastings (17:58) and Providence (29:02). Bargain, I thought. But it's not the EP he meant! So I also now have "Slow Riot..."
 
Blogger Steve: Yes but is it lossless???

Picture straightened by Nick thanks.
 
Blogger Tim: Where did the EP confusion came from - itunes? I see they call Slow Riot a single. Erm.
 
Blogger Steve: Added a pic of me ensuring that the speaker grill will go around the necessaries. Doesn't give an idea of scale...
 
Blogger Tim: Nice!

A bit wonky though.
 
Blogger Tim: Bit of a shocker, Pete Namlook has died, apparently
 
Blogger Steve: Oh dear, does this mean our collections rocket in value?? Well yours Tim.
 
Blogger Tim: In the short term I suppose there will be a bit of that. Eventually I assume the rights will end up with other labels (or somebody will take over Fax?) and there will be more reissues.
 
Blogger Steve: Added another picture of this year's Christmas project so I'm getting my money's worth out of the jigsaw...
 
Blogger nick: looks really professional! albeit a bit wonky
 
Blogger Tim: Two weeks to go, so let's start planning - full programme of events is available here: http://30.touchmusic.org.uk/
I've got 5th - 7th off, but need to be home some time Friday evening (not sure exactly when yet). Question for Steve, can we dump any stuff in your office? Quite likely not.
 
Blogger Steve: I believe the building has 24-hr access if I sign in, I'll double-check. I came back for this at 9PM once. I have a couple of sizeable lockers in the office so I'd say hopeful...
 
Blogger Steve: I have to say that some of the talks look quite good like the future of high-end audio and mastering etc.
 
Blogger Steve: Silly sale on some DiN titles and seem to include postage That ARC one is good Nick.
 
Blogger Tim: No, shipping is extra, I tried it.

I'm game for any of those talks if you want to go.
 
Blogger nick: Having looked at the programme I'd fancy pretty much any of the talks.

Most of the music I'd give a go although some of the more experimental stuff isn't so appealing ("The cackle of dogs and laughter of death".)

Would like to fit in a pizza-hut meal at some stage!

I've got wed/thu/fri off so have no constraints on getting anywhere although I need to be home for 9-ish Friday evening so I can take Ella to work (Lesley is out at a party).

I don't want to presume but had the idea that Steve's house was being proposed as a venue, which sounds OK to me. Will Deborah be around? It would be nice to see her

 
Blogger Tim: Good idea, Steve's it is!
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I offered mine as the venue a while back - easier commute. Barring disasters the speakers will be finished by then. D around Friday I would say.

Taxiing on your birthday?
 
Blogger Steve: D is offering cooked breakfast on the Friday which will shame my efforts on Thursday..
 
Blogger Steve: We could visit the nuclear bunker on the Friday, I have checked that it is open. About an hour's drive from us and couple of hours at most to go around.
 
Blogger Steve: Confirmed 24 hour access to the building, I just sign in get the stuff and sign out. No mattresses or sleeping bags apparently.
 
Blogger Tim: That's good. OK so I guess we'll be meeting up mid-dayish, Waterlooish, dump our suitcases at Steve's office, and head off for an afternoon of fun. Something like that? Which/how many of the "Aftenoon events" does anyone fancy? I'd like to go to the "Screening situations" if poss.
 
Blogger Steve: I'd really like to do all of them from 2:30 on the Wednesday.

Must remember my IBM pass, must remember my IBM pass...

I have an activity planned Friday if you can hang around until late afternoon or are trains an issue there? Might be able to do it in the morning...
 
Blogger Tim: We might as well get there for the 2.00 kickoff then?

Sorry, Friday I need to be back for 5 or so, which means the 14:05 or 14:34 from LUT.
 
Blogger nick: Sorry for not replying - I'm happy for any/all of the "afternoon events". I can be in London any time on Wednesday, just say when you want to meet at Waterloo.

I said I'd be back home on Friday evening to take Ella to work at 9pm, so I can be in London until 7.30-ish I think

 
Blogger Steve: Just let me know when and where tomorrow at Waterloo.
 
Blogger Tim: 12:08? I'll be arr from Portsmouth.
 
Blogger nick: ok I'll aim to be there for 12.08

 
Blogger Tim: Just in time for lunch then.
 
Blogger nick: ...at the IBM restaurant, no less
 
Blogger Steve: Ok got that.
 
Blogger Tim: The netbook is working a treat, cheers. The mains lead connects so well that the power light looks a lot brighter. Eh? Let's have a closer look at that... aha, it's because the bare led is visible now. There used to be a tiny bit of translucent white plastic that clipped into the hole in the palm wrest over the power light, I wonder what happened to that?


PS. DON'T LOOK FOR IT
 
Blogger Steve: Ah so was that the bit that came out? Don't think so!

Got the turntable on now as I had a record to convert to CD for Richard. Put an Ian Carr's Nucleus album on that I keep meaning to get on CD but apart from the crackles it sounds really amazing! And not an ideal setup of Cambridge amp for the phono input passed to the Naim via line out. Maybe I'd better get some valves...

I bypassed a 2 ohm resistor to up the high frequencies and it's loads better. Will get some new cables and them decide on the final value. Grills completed as well so D is 100% happy.
 
Blogger nick: So did he master Autobahn then???
 
Blogger Tim: It didn't need much doing.

(I imagine there have been a lot of Autobahn masters over the years, so maybe he did one of them. http://www.discogs.com/Kraftwerk-Autobahn/master/2994)
 
Blogger Tim: Talking of Kraftwerk, then, it looks like the Tate gigs will mainly be all the same tracks in different orders, plus the less-famous tracks from the key album.

Nights 3 and 4 look tricky because of late kick-off, although I suppose it's a 30-second walk to Blackfriars and the 00:58 to Luton?

So if the plan is that we pick a night, I'll try for the last one, Tour de France, OK?

Wednesday 6 February 2013, 21:00
1 – Autobahn (1974)

Thursday 7 February 2013, 21:00
2 – Radio-Activity (1975)

Friday 8 February 2013, 22:30
3 – Trans Europe Express (1977)

Saturday 9 February 2013, 22:30
4 – The Man-Machine (1978)

Monday 11 February 2013, 21:00
5 – Computer World (1981)

Tuesday 12 February 2013, 21:00
6 – Techno Pop (1986)

Wednesday 13 February 2013, 21:00
7 – The Mix (1991)

Thursday 14 February 2013, 21:00
8 – Tour de France (2003)
 
Blogger nick: Thursday 14th sounds ok.

I note (to Steve) that on Sat 9th we are seeing "nevsky at barbican" so if that finishes by 10pm we nip along to Tate Modern afterwards to see Man Machine!

Shall I try and book tickets too? I could try for Wed 13th if you don't want to risk duplicating. However I am collecting Ella from work at 7.30am this Wednesday so being on the phone to Tate Modern at exactly that time may be awkward




 
Blogger Steve: I'm trying to find out if Paul wants more than one so am not ignoring you. I could also try to book but what a useless time! And is everyone going to want the Friday so it'll be busy?
 
Blogger Tim: Basically just have a go if you get the chance, and post here in the case of success. Neil doesn't want to go btw so I'm all clear to count Paul in (or not, as appropriate) if I have any luck.
 
Blogger Tim: BTW can't believe I'm not going to see nevsky.
 
Blogger Tim: I've got a bit of a cold today.
Sniff, sniff.








Sniff.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes well I was meaning to mention that. And I can't tell if you are joking about Nevsky. Double-checking numbers at this end...
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, I was joking, although I could be a standby if needed.



Sniff.
 
Blogger nick: OK I will try to buy tickets via telephone tomorrow at 7.30am, and I'll try to get some for Wed 13th (The Mix)

 
Blogger Steve: Only need one for Paul (not Matt) thanks. I'm happy to go more than once. Let me know if you want me to try to book as well.
 
Blogger Tim: "The Tate website is currently undergoing essential maintenance. The site will be back soon."
 
Blogger nick: Ella and I between us just dialled about 200 times and keep getting "call failed" or "busy". Tate website sometimes shows maintenance, sometimes lets me a bit further then hangs.


 
Blogger nick: "We are currently experiencing an extremely high demand online for Kraftwerk tickets. Please call the ticketing line on +44 (0)20 7887 4919. There is a capacity of how many calls can come through so please keep trying. "

I really don't think that's the most helpful message they could display. Why don't they just tell us it's sold out and end the misery of uncertainty?
 
Blogger Steve: Shall I pop over lunchtime?
 
Blogger nick: well, I suppose it can't do any harm - I'm still trying to call every so often but it's always engaged/failed connection
 
Blogger nick: although I'm not sure if you *can* book in person - it says "Tickets go on sale on Wednesday 12 December 2012, at 07:30 GMT, exclusively at www.tate.org.uk/kraftwerk or by calling + 44 (0)20 7887 4919."


 
Blogger Steve: As discussed with Nick on the phone they started a queue in the turbine hall and 3 nights had already gone and it was a 2hr queue so I came back to work.
 
Blogger Tim: OK, well done. The ticket website is still offline and the phone line so busy that you can't get in the queue.
 
Blogger nick: ...phone line still busy (and has been all day). I think I give up
 
Blogger Tim: "All tickets for Kraftwerk at Tate Modern have now sold out."

Oh well, never mind, at least we had a go.
 
Blogger nick: I must say that was a pretty poor performance. I can't believe they hadn't got a better system sorted out.
 
Blogger Steve: It's a relief, a freeing up of time... we can now work on that album with the Royal Philharmonic

BTW Peep Show episode 2 was pretty funny.
 
Blogger nick: They've had 3 Peep Show episodes now haven't they? Raise a bit of a chuckle but I think it's a bit of a shadow of its former self. Even SuperHans isn't that great any more

 
Blogger nick: Kraftwerk ticketing fiasco
 
Blogger Steve: Now have a look at the prices on the other ticket sellers such as Viagogo - this is the real scandal, how do they get an allocation if you have to pick them up in person from the venue? They start at £400...
 
Blogger nick: according to the guardian there were 8000 tickets (1000 per show I assume).

Some people managed to buy tickets in person even though Tate had originally said this would not be an option.

Some people managed to get through by using their Tate membership number.

And I have no idea how ticket agents have got hold of tickets. All a bit of a mess.

Still no doubt the concerts will be on DVD soon so we can see what they were like
 
Blogger Steve: That small size of audience is almost verging on the awkward for such a big group. For such a small number of tickets you surely don't allow people to buy more than 2? I'd say just one really.
 
Blogger Tim: Comment at the Guardian made me laugh:
I've never seen Kraftwerk live, but I've got all their songs on my computer. And, if you think about it, that's just about the same thing.

Next time I play Computer Love, I will get out four Lego minifigs and stare at them for a bit.


 
Blogger Steve: Yes and if you get some decent hi-fi you can get close to the sound. Well I can :) Classical is sounding pretty good from the past two nights' testing. And Propaganda 1234. Still haven't booked that gig...
 
Blogger Tim: I've just noticed a seller on Discogs has a special offer:
BUY 5 ITEMS >>>> GET 5 % DISCOUNT
BUY 10 ITEMS >>>> GET 10% DISCOUNT
AND SO ON....
 
Blogger Steve: Can we buy 100 items between us?

Orbital was excellent - the best computer graphics I have ever seen. While Kraftwerk is great, they are a bit simple.
 
Blogger nick: Current earworm: Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat. How did THAT get into my head?
 
Blogger Steve: If you think we are following that link...

New KS album due early next year BTW and a double I think.
 
Blogger nick: I remember reading a short story about earworms, the premise being that the
reason they work is that they resonate with brainwaves. And because everyone's
brainwaves are different, then different people are susceptible to different
tunes.

But the other thing was that if you get a tune that *exactly* matches
someone's brainwaves, then once that person hears it, he can't think of
anything else at all, and becomes catatonic. So listen to music at your peril.

 
Blogger Steve: Congratulations!

"VP Engineering (Java & GUIs) at Isode Ltd"
 
Blogger nick: oh yes, that was last week. means I get to do more management and less programming!
 
Blogger Tim: Like Steve said, Klaus Schulze Shadowlands due out soon, there is a limited 2CD version. Track titles:
01 Shadowlights
02 In Between
03 Licht und Schatten
01 The Rhodesviolin
02 Tibetanian Loops
Whose turn is it to buy a Schulze album?

 
Blogger nick: Plusnet - we were on a quota of 60GB/month, and started going over that, so recently they upped our quota to 120GB (for no charge). But now we don't have to worry about exceeding 120GB. So that's Lesley and Ella's Christmas presents sorted out. (They both watch tons of iPlayer etc.).

Well - actually it's more of a present for me: neither of them bothered at all about how much they were using, but I will no longer have to worry about penalty charges being incurred
 
Blogger Tim: New Autechre 2cd due out early March. Called Exai (pronounced X I, it's their 11th album).
 
Blogger nick: never heard of them

 
Blogger Tim: It's probably best that way.

Now, aargh, I'm sending a CD off to an address: Bluebell Wood Lane, and consequently I have a track from Blue Bell Knoll stuck in my mind.
 
Blogger Steve: Hmm like me and my tracks entitled 29 Palms which is definitely 29 Psalms!

Quite fancy the Autechre and maybe the Schulze but it won't be any good will it?
 
Blogger Tim: The normal cd might be passable, but the double looks terrifying.
BTW per KS site, corrected track titles are:
CD 2 (Ltd. Edition Bonus)
1. The Rhodes Violin
2. Tibetan Loop


 
Blogger Tim: This Emeralds album is good. Has Nick heard of them?
 
Blogger Steve: He came with us to the gig I thought. That one I lent you is longer tracks than the recent one. And I got that one from discogs.com. They seem to nicely leave things like the accompanying guitar alone without feeling the need to change stuff around. This solo album by Steve Hauschildt is very good - lots of nice sequencers.

BTW Fopp has the later TD Virgin box for a tenner so if I don't get it on Tuesday I will pop down. I need Exit so for another £5 I get the rest in re-mastered form. On a Boris bike I can get there in about 10 mins if I half kill myself and can find a parking space!
 
Blogger Steve: Had a very boring and fruitless conversation with Amazon credit card yesterday. They will not increase my credit limit and of course won't tell me why. They might if I write to them. I assume it is because they don't make any money of me. Same situation with my Play card (same people). Moral is get the credit limit when you can then raz them for your reward points.
 
Blogger nick: I think my amazon card is about £6000 limit - do you need more than that???? But now I come to think of it I remember I seemed often to get offers of increased limits on my credit cards and haven't had them do that for a while so maybe they're tightening up. In any case we shouldn't be using amazon any more given their tax dodging rep I suppose
 
Blogger Tim: Are you off to Fopp then Steve?
 
Blogger Steve: Will be off to Fopp when back in next week. I have £4k as I set it lower and my ticket is £3600. Found 2 Din albums on the That's Entertainment site for £4 each, you can get some real bargains on there.
 
Blogger nick: new post

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger