Sunday, May 13, 2012
 
Steve:  UK
Some issue with verticals in the architecture one but some are straight?!?  I need a spirit-level app




Comments:
Blogger Steve: BTW Tim have you got Orbital's Wonky? Paul has it here and it is excellent, could be one of their best.
 
Blogger Tim: No, top tip, thanks. I'll tell Neil, then maybe I can borrow it from him ;-)
 
Blogger Tim: BTW when are we going to fix up plans for UK, before you go away or once you're there?
 
Blogger Steve: Tim are you up for Orbital 14th Dec London? Thought I texted by maybe not. Paul wants to book, thanks.

I plan to get to the venue before 4PM but will have email access via phone.
 
Blogger Tim: Indeed you did text, I've just checked.

Dunno about Orbital, it's a long way ahead, Brixton looks tricky. Go ahead and book, I might join in later, or catch them in Bournemouth instead.
 
Blogger Steve: You and your "way ahead"! I managed to use the word eponymous today, just hope it was correct...

And the Barbican shop was shut when I tried to buy Einstein!!! Is that fate?
 
Blogger Steve: I could book some time off while D is at camp, two weeks this year - Sat 21st July-26th and Sat 18th Aug - 22nd. Anything doable those times? I actually need to use holiday up as it turns out I can't sell any.

Tim, playing Autechre's Amber loads lately, what else have they done like that as the one I bought recently was a bit uncomfortable to listen to (Move of Ten)? Funny how it sounds German and turns out they are English.
 
Blogger nick: Sunday 22nd July is Basingstoke Big Wheel

I could take some time off. Maybe we could do something e.g. eurostar
 
Blogger Tim: Amber is a bit of a one-off actually. The next great (and probably not uncomfortable to listen to, I'll check) album they did was untitled (or eponymous!) but usually known as LP5.
Not to be confused with "Untilted", although that's another corker.

What does Eurostar consist of, apart from a train journey obv.?
 
Blogger nick: Eurostar - no particular idea for what else it might involve - I just fancy going on it. Just a way to provoke thought really
 
Blogger nick: Steve said "Chronologie" was good, after we heard part 6 on the "Aero" album. So I ordered it off Amazon (only a couple of quid second hand).

But having listened, I reckon part 6 is the best track - not sure about the rest...
 
Blogger Steve: Oops, keep going with it. Shall I try the Barbican again for Einstein....

So next week, do we meet outside before 4:30??? Seems like a bad idea - hear rough versions of the set and stand around wondering what to ask. Not sold out yet BTW so could be cosy.
 
Blogger Tim: I'm angling for the afternoon off, so I should be able to get up there nice and early. But what we do is up to you! (I am aware of some interesting alternatives in that part of town though, open every day until about 6. Honestly don't mind though, whatever. No really.)
 
Blogger nick: **next** Thursday???
 
Blogger Tim: Yeah, 24th. No?
 
Blogger nick: ok yes I think I could get PM off as well. I reckon perhaps Tim and I should stay outside while Steve goes in and feels awkward
 
Blogger Steve: I already feel awkward about this thanks, if they haven't even sold the small number of tickets... I suppose I will leave Colchester at lunchtime and would get there for 3 at the earliest. This is not much of a plan is it?
 
Blogger Tim: It's a plan and I'm game for it if you are. 3 of us, 4 of them, should be OK as long as none of us ask why Allan Holdsworth isn't there.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes good we've not done this sort of thing before have we? I have all of my KC t-shirts (what a saddo), incredible to think of the quality albums he was on. Didn't bring anything to sign in the end. It is listed in the Guardian so maybe it will fill up some more.

So see you 3 onwards, any idea of a place Tim? I have Internet here in sunny Frinton, we were welcomed by a Spitfire doing loops etc, which was nice :)
 
Blogger Tim: Well it looks like my route in is train to Clapham Junc, then overground to Imperial Wharf, and walk from there. How about you two?
 
Blogger nick: I guess I could do the same as Tim.
 
Blogger Tim: OK. Most likely I'll be catching the 15:15 from Clapham Junction, platform 1 (where there's a train every 15 mins).
 
Blogger Tim: ...arriving Imperial Wharf 15:19.
 
Blogger nick: Steve:
- Matt LeBlanc
- JNA
 
Blogger Tim: Are you helping him cheat in the pub quiz?
 
Blogger Steve: Collective memory failure in the car last weekend. BTW we are already burnt so we chose the right week. Sutton Hoo is pretty impressive (assuming you take the guided tour), otherwise not a massive amount to see as you would imagine!
 
Blogger nick: I can get train from Hampton at 14.21 tomorrow, gets to Clapham Junction at 14.54, so will hang about on platform 1 waiting for Tim
 
Blogger nick: Good review of Damien Hirst in the Guardian
 
Blogger Tim: Platform 1 it is.
 
Blogger nick: I have remembered to bring my ticket! I had a special alarm set to remind me, but had been worried I'd forget. It's prominently sitting on my desk now
 
Blogger Steve: Thank goodness for that! See you later, still not sure where but I'm sure we will sort something out.
 
Blogger Tim: How are you getting there?
 
Blogger Tim: Well that was a cracking do, and I was home by 1am to boot. Whatever that means.
 
Blogger Tim: On now: KC / The Great Deceiver.
 
Blogger nick: Jobson was in Roxy Music, according to wikipedia. Also Jethro Tull and Yes!
 
Blogger nick: Listening to "UK" and "Danger Money" albums. I notice more about them now, having heard them live. I think the live versions were more impressive though
 
Blogger Steve: Blimey Tim - listening to non-electronic stuff, will it last? I also got back at 1AM, long tube journey but decent train to Colchester. Good that the book shop was shut, preventing me from buying those Churchill diaries for £50.
 
Blogger Tim: No, I think it's over already. Good while it lasted though.

Which Churchill diaries are these exactly? A quick surf didn't clear it up. I know he's written quite a lot of stuff.

Hopefully not this (see reviews).
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, I might have a good cycling opportunity next Sunday afternoon, just thought I'd run that by you.
 
Blogger nick: I'm free next Sunday so that's a possibility.
Just off for a ride on my own now...
 
Blogger Steve: Crikey that is bad (re Churchill). It was the WWII diaries that I read before but I see that £50 is the going rate and have already read them.

Nick you would be proud, I ordered an album after a gig recommendation in The Guardian. Haven't been to the gig but sounds like my sort of thing, improv with beats/keyboard and guitar and drums - Troyka. Tried a few bits on Youtube and ordered direct so looking forward to it.

Nuclear bunker (Kelvedon in Essex) on the way home from hols was interesting but badly done as an 'exhibition'. Lovely night mare last night about nuclear war. Even worse it was a dream within a dream!

Tim, get that Orbital album!!!!!
 
Blogger nick: Steve, wake up! you're still dreaming!
 
Blogger Tim: Those dates, by the way, I'm generally around. Probably can get the odd day off.
 
Blogger Tim: The weather forecast for Sunday is currently rain. I'm mostly available over the 4 days so let me know if you have other likely slots Nick.
 
Blogger Steve: Sunday a pain but God Speed You have a London date 4th November...
 
Blogger Tim: Well found. Looks good, and luckily it's not too far ahead (i.e. Kentish Town is reasonably convenient).

Tues a.m looking rain-free at the moment.
 
Blogger Tim: And now the clear spell seems to have been brought forward to Monday p.m. Any good?
 
Blogger nick: Monday pm looks good for me at the moment
 
Blogger Tim: Right, currently planning to be at MIC at 14:05.
 
Blogger nick: ok, MD at 14.05
 
Blogger nick: Listening to the 45 min ambient track from "Waiting for Cousteau". Bad idea to do this just after lunch, zzzzz
 
Blogger Steve: At work then obviously! Just noticed that this blog looks much better on a mobile. Btw my greenhat email is now turned off.
 
Blogger nick: Yes, I noticed blog looks nicer on mobile too.

Have you relocated yet then Steve?

I was a bit worried about the wind last night, as my tree was bending quite a lot. So I put a garden chair next to it, to help ease the strain. This morning, tree fine but garden chair blown over.
 
Blogger Tim: BTW Neil is up for GYBE if we're going. Are we going? Still thinking about it maybe.

Nick, I couldn't spot a Satyagraha at home so it's likely to be mine.

Monday's route.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I imagine the chair could have damaged the tree worse than the wind! It is a fact that the trees are meant to wang around in the wind as it makes them stronger - assuming they are tied at the base.

We move weekend of 14th of September.

Yes put me down for the gig please and the Satya is not mine BTW.
 
Blogger nick: Well I was worried because met office was warning about trees being blown down and it was bending quite a bit. Anyway I think it's still OK (even kept all its leaves so far as I could see). Haven't spotted any apples yet though. And are we passed blossom time?

OK I'm up for the gig as well please.
 
Blogger nick: oops I think that should be "have we passed blossom time?" or "are we past blossom time?"
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I have apples the size of marbles (ooh er missus). You won't get any apples this year especially since you don't have any branches :) Maybe next year? i don't think we will have pears this first year either although it does have branches.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, what's the name of the book that Deborah has with the "places you'd never heard of" in the UK? I was talking with someone in the office who said they'd like to get a copy
 
Blogger Steve: Here it is.

Use it when out and about as a small detour can reap benefits like your famous brick building.
 
Blogger Tim: Bit of a longshot, but at the moment Sunday morning is down as "Sunny", might be a cycling opportunity. Looking further ahead, after next weekend (not this one) the football dies down and there might be evening possibilities.
 
Blogger Tim: Also, Steve, have you decided on any leave?
 
Blogger nick: Tim sorry for late reply - sunday tomorrow could be ok - forecast I've got has it cloudy/dry all day. I'll update again this evening
 
Blogger Tim: I seem to be available all day, so any time you like.
 
Blogger Tim: Wind is from the South, might be worth doing the uphill route?
 
Blogger nick: how about I get to HE at 13.32, is that OK?
 
Blogger Tim: Yep, see you at the station.
 
Blogger Tim: Yesterday's route.

Looking at the forecast, next Monday is supposed to be the next dry opportunity, that's likely to change though obv.
 
Blogger nick: It was a good ride, only problem was I must have hit more nettles than I realised; my legs are really itchy now.

Did Deborah do her ride yesterday?
 
Blogger Tim: She did - 54 miles with a bleedin headwind I assume. "I really enjoyed the bike ride and want to do it again sometime. ... I think next time you, Steve and Nick should come too." I think I'm busy that day.
 
Blogger Tim: FWIW Monday's forecast changed to wet but it's back to dry. The rest of the week doesn't look much riskier either; the only day I definitely can't do is Wednesday.
 
Blogger Tim: Monday/Tuesday currently looking the best options...
 
Blogger nick: Weather looks possibly OK tomorrow, so I could manage that (although maybe you have other things on). I would be available Monday/Tuesday although the weather widget I'm using currently claims they're going to be cloudy/wet
 
Blogger Tim: No I can't do tomorrow. Hopefully the forecast will have stabilised by Sunday, see how it's looking then.
 
Blogger Tim: Better not line up any cycling, I've got a busy weekend coming up - off on hols next week (5th-15th).

Steve, have you booked any leave in July or August yet?
 
Blogger Steve: I have booked the week 21st off, the August didn't happen in the end, I got carried away. I need to do stuff on the Thursday of that week. So something that weekend?
 
Blogger nick: Tim knew about my car but I don't think Steve did - it failed its MOT this time, and there'd be a bill of at least £700 to get it through, plus various other things need doing, so we decided to call it a day (225,000 miles and 9 years old).

So Lesley volunteered to find me another one, criteria being that I wanted another Vectra the same as mine but a bit newer. This is what she bought; we're collecting it tomorrow (just as the tax/MOT on old car runs out)
 
Blogger Tim: No rain-sensing wipers?
 
Blogger nick: They're not listed on the features, but Lesley assures me that they're included.
 
Blogger nick: looks like the link's broken, presumably they've taken it off the website
 
Blogger Tim: How's the car then?
 
Blogger nick: ...quite comfy. One of the things the other one failed for was knackered shock absorbers, and I do notice a significant difference in the smoothness of the ride (as well as lack of creaking noises when going over speed bumps)

It's got quite a comprehensive satnav/computer thing which includes realtime fuel consumption, so I can maximise my MPG - I think the engine is a bit more powerful (and fuel hungry) than the last one so it's good to have a bit of feedback on driving style

And the rain-sensitive wipers work!
 
Blogger Tim: How do you know? It's always raining.
 
Blogger Tim: Just remembered I was supposed to be booking for GYBE.

They are now doing a second night, Mondy 5th November. Seems more convenient than the Sunday, yes?
 
Blogger nick: If the Sunday one ends at a decent time (unless I'm getting mixed up with another concert, I thought that this one was going to end at a sensible time owing to local noise regulations?) then I think I'd rather do that one. Else it means potentially uber-late Monday night?
 
Blogger Tim: Same venue, same time (doors 7, finish by 11), different night. I think that's answering your issue but I'm not certain...
 
Blogger nick: oh, ok in that case yes Monday would be better
 
Blogger nick: I also have week off 23-27 Jul
 
Blogger nick: Tim, happy birthday! (wherever you are)
 
Blogger nick: New Rush album out! (and guardian reviews it)
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I have it here and on first listen sounded pretty good but not radically different. Expensive-looking artwork that I don't like (as usual) - something too polished/computer-generated about it. And a concept album, get in!

Finally bought Radiohead's Hail to the Thief and already know it all. Got Autechre's Oversteps and it is excellent as Tim will know. Still a bit uncomfortable to listen to but very impressive overall.
 
Blogger nick: I've got it on order from Amazon. People seem pretty keen on it
 
Blogger Steve: Luck Escape!!
 
Blogger Tim: Hi chaps, just back from Spain yesterday, back to work today, boo.
Cheers for the cards.
 
Blogger nick: Good to have you back Tim, now we can sort out what's going on next week.

I'm planning on doing Big Wheel, despite not having been out cycling for quite some time. Maybe will try and do some exercise biking this week, the weather is awful.

Something that's a possibility next week is at the Titchfield Theatre, very handy for Tim

Juliet and her Romeo
 
Blogger Tim: Should be OK for Juliet if you want to go, how about next Monday/Tuesday? Big wheel out of the question.
 
Blogger Tim: BTW have you got any use for fridge and freezer separates? (Quite possibly not.)
 
Blogger nick: As it happens, I was at 15 yesterday to take delivery of new fridge/freezer, dishwasher, and washing machine: tenants moving in later this week. Lesley didn't want to get stuff until letting was confirmed so probably needed to be on short notice. Thanks anyway.
 
Blogger nick: One of the comments for this video made me laugh (although I think he might be spot on)

"I'm not saying that this is the best thing on the internet, I'm simply challenging others to show me something more impressive. Please, I really would like to see it"
 
Blogger Steve: I've arranged to go to the Big Wheel with Jeff. Not quite but he does plan to do it weather depending. I plan to do it on MTB but don't have any mudguards so if it's raining maybe not...

So do people have time off then, I can't tell from the updates? Theatre sounds acceptable to me.

PS on the video comments, good old Anglagard1 - named after Swedish prog group as well.
 
Blogger nick: who's "Jeff"?
 
Blogger Steve: Good point it should say Geoff - he's your friend, surely you remember him!
 
Blogger Tim: I haven't got any time off, mainly because I've just come back from Spain and I'm off up north on the 28th. I might try and wangle an afternoon off, that's about all I dare attempt. Other than that I'm planning to keep Sunday post BW free, and a couple of evenings say?
 
Blogger Steve: Is Saturday night any good as I would come down Saturday I'm thinking?
 
Blogger Tim: Tricky, the weekend is looking a bit frantic due to abysmal planning, but I'll see what I can do... and in case there's an afternoon opportunity or anything, when are you likely to be turning up?
 
Blogger nick: Steve, Saturday is fine. Lesley doing a shop today. And another tomorrow. And another on Saturday.

Tim how about booking Monday for Juliet?

I was thinking about an evening ride MD->HE but I don't know what weather will be like.

I have been thinking about taking eurostar trip to france and back (have always fancied going on it) so might try and do this next week. I just mention it in case anyone says "I'd really fancy doing that too". Haven't looked into it at all yet.

Just listened to "Robbery, Assault and Battery" before arriving at work. Brilliant.

We're still busy interviewing: 4 full-day interviews this week and 2 one-hour ones. I'm getting interview fatigue!
 
Blogger Tim: Monday great, evening ride good idea.
 
Blogger Steve: I think it would be after the afternoon Saturday as I'm taking D to camp and there will be faff. Not sure about the Eurostar thing Nick, you should do that with Lesley. Does this mean you do have time off then?
 
Blogger nick: I have all next week off.

I need to do some holiday club website stuff so it's partly for that, but also I'm a bit tired of work and needed a break!
 
Blogger nick: Also, Lesley has lost her passport. It expires next week so she is looking for it so that she can renew it.
 
Blogger Tim: Ah, so Steve isn't down all week then... clearly I have no idea what's going on!
 
Blogger Steve: I wouldn't normally come for a week! Pretty sure I mentioned that I need to help D on Thursday but anyway, was thinking of arriving Sat and maybe coming home Tuesday?
 
Blogger Tim: No, but when Nick said he'd booked the week off too I just assumed you'd sorted it out together.
 
Blogger Steve: Actually I may be able to get there for the afternoon Saturday as I only have a short early task in the morning. So Tim if you think you are around I can make the effort assuming Nick is ok with this. He may well be out training for Sunday...
 
Blogger Steve: Another though Nick is that you could come back to Luton for a bit, maybe visit D at camp Tue or Wed night? Do a load more cycling? :)
 
Blogger nick: More G4S news
 
Blogger Tim: No, chances for Saturday are slim, sorry.
 
Blogger Tim: Just saw a poster for this: http://www.greglake.com/tour_tour.html
 
Blogger nick: blimey, he's grown a bit
 
Blogger Tim: What's happening tomorrow, any idea? Do you chaps want to come down here or shall I head up there (should have car)?
 
Blogger nick: I'm about to leave and meet Steve at the station (he said he's arriving around 2.30)

Tomorrow Big Wheel, should be back by around 2 I'd have thought. Nothing planned at all.

I'll do another post when Steve's here and we've had a think
 
Blogger Tim: OK.
 
Blogger nick: OK the thinking is that we'll come down to you for the afternoon/evening if that's OK.

We can take you out somewhere to eat?
 
Blogger Tim: Yep fine, turn up when you like, keep me posted if you can.
 
Blogger nick: OK got back around 2.30, *little* bit tired, we're going to watch Bradley win TdF and then come down so I guess some time around 5.30 onwards?
 
Blogger Tim: Gotcha.
 
Blogger nick: creating new post...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger