Monday, January 16, 2012
 
nick:  Winter
OK! Let's have your thoughts on 2012 (pic taken on bike ride this weekend)

Comments:
Blogger nick: I think Steve likes this sort of thing?. Didn't you know one called "Chip Chip Hooray"?
 
Blogger Steve: Picture is very good - nice low (afternoon?) light to really give the soil texture and a warm golden brown colour. Good how the furrows are nice and big and chunky and lead your eye into the distance. If you are looking for criticisms it would only be that the tree on the RHS is distracting to the eye. And maybe that there is no focal point at the end of the furrows. But we don't want to end up with a cliché do we? Keep up the good work, still ridden 100% of the days?
 
Blogger Steve: Oops, yes we have been to a Chip Chip Hooray.
 
Blogger Steve: Paul may have emailed Nick but he got a PS3 yesterday with Battlefield. Don't expect me to join in the game playing though! Means we can get into the Blu-ray arena and easily have Internet on the TV so I approve in general. (Trying to ignore the cabling aspect.)
 
Blogger nick: Yes, I heard from Paul - he says he's got Battlefield 3, which I don't have yet (I've got 1 & 2, Tim's got 1). The online in BF3 is meant to be very good (even better than 1&2) but it's still a premium price game.

But presumably Paul won't have much spare time to play anything?
 
Blogger Tim: In Klaus news, Tonwelle is going to be reissued. As a 2CD set. One CD is like the album played at the traditional IC-label-vinyl 45rpm, the other is like 33rpm. What?? Seems to be the label's idea btw, kdm is not happy (no change there then).

Nick, haven't you got BF Bad Company 2 (and 1), rather than Battlefield 2?
 
Blogger nick: oh yes, I've got Battlefield Bad Company 1 and Battlefield Bad Company 2. (I don't think that there were non-"Bad Company" ones on PS3 prior to BF3).

The new one is just Battlefield 3 but I don't have that. I haven't kept up very well with the naming system of Battlefield games on different platforms...

If Steve gets Portal 2 we could play with him and he'd be really impressed at how quickly we could solve all the puzzles.

I do listen to "Time Actor" a fair bit (the title track, which is all I bought for 79p). I like it - is the rest of the album any good?
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, did you install Portal2 onto any PC, or could you? Just planning ahead and thinking we could look at some modders' test chambers while waiting for the next proper DLC.
 
Blogger nick: I've not installed Portal2 anywhere except the PS3. Is it right that by virtue of having it on the PS3 I can download it elsewhere? I had a feeling that was something you can do although when I log into steam from my laptop it doesn't show Portal2, just Portal, and when I browse to Portal2 in the store it looks like I have to pay for it.

Maybe I have to associate my steam id with my psn id somehow? Although I thought I did that when I registered portal2 on the PS3...
 
Blogger Tim: I had a code I had to type in. Somewhere. HTH.
 
Blogger Tim: Expanding on that a bit, the code was on the back of the P2 manual or somewhere, with easy to execute (and forget) instructions.
 
Blogger nick: ok I'll have a look at my manual. I had a second-hand copy of the game, hope that doesn't mean it's got a code that someone else has already used!

I "friended" Paul on PSN last night. Not sure what games he might be up for playing, or whether I'll be able to keep up...
 
Blogger nick: ok, found the code and it let me activate it. 10GB download though, so I think I'll do that later!
 
Blogger Tim: Don't forget to download the SDK too.
 
Blogger Steve: Tim, there is a possibility I am at Nick's this weekend with D (Saturday, maybe late Friday), is this any good for you?
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, that might work, keep me posted.
 
Blogger Tim: Is it still looking likely?

Nick, received the AC2, cheers.
 
Blogger Steve: Def going to Basingstoke, just deciding if we go Fri night later or not. Will return Sat night. hopefully with bike.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, you mean there's a chance you might leave your lovely Rockhopper at my house?
 
Blogger Tim: Or maybe he's planning to buy a new one on Saturday, is another way to misread it.
 
Blogger Steve: Or thirdly, a derogatory term for one's partner :)

BTW played Wahnfried Trancelation the other day, still sounds amazing.
 
Blogger Steve: OK current plan is to go down Friday night, get there for 9?
 
Blogger nick: 9pm Fri is fine
 
Blogger Steve: R6 Kraftwerk celebration
 
Blogger Tim: OK, plan A for me is to drive up earlyish tomorrow morning, and head back about midday, before lunch. Does that fit in?

Must remember to bring Vertical Memory. Anything else?...
 
Blogger nick: plan A sounds OK - do you have any alternate plans in mind?
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, but they involve trains and aren't as good.

What time's beakfast??

Good typo (it's what birds eat in the morning).
 
Blogger Steve: On that subject D had to rescue a Robin from the front room today. We keep telling her she has the windows too wide...

Could bring your bike but maybe not time? Can't think of anything else, you did well to remember that.
 
Blogger Tim: My New Year's resolution was to get the bike out of the garage in about March, so no rush.

New Node track from ever-delayed new album at http://nodesynth.bandcamp.com/
 
Blogger nick: Steve, have you considered booking this?
 
Blogger nick: Tim - don't worry if you don't want to get the bike out of the garage tomorrow: I've got a spare you can use
 
Blogger Steve: Hmm I did look at that - they are going to be the utmost in noodling jazz I think so too risky in my opinion.

So just bring the shorts and socks then Tim!
 
Blogger nick: Is Deborah bringing a bike?
 
Blogger Steve: Ah I hadn't thought of that. She wasn't as I thought we would be hard-core riding. Is Lesley around when we are out riding? She did want to visit (see) some interesting old brick building in Basingstoke from one of our "what to see" books. I suppose she has the NT membership (+ guest).
 
Blogger nick: Lesley is around, Ella will probably be arriving some time Saturday afternoon and then going out again Saturday evening.

I suppose Lesley might be persuaded to do a building thing, would be good for her to get some fresh air...
 
Blogger nick: Breakfast at 9 see you then
 
Blogger Tim: Unfortunately I was already in bed by the time you posted that, then I didn't lurch out of bed until 8am, oops. Did you get a ride in in the afternoon?

So anyway, how are we doing on the 10th/17th issue?
 
Blogger Steve: Yes we got covered in mud and I really enjoyed it despite some nice bramble scratches. About 12 miles but we had to walk a fair bit of it so about 2 hours in all. Was amused by Nick saying that he wouldn't be doing 'that bit' in winter again!

I would be looking at the 17th as the 10th is a busy at work. No reason why the holiday won't be rejected that I can see.
 
Blogger Tim: 17th looks OK here.
 
Blogger Steve: 17th booked. Nick spent quite a lot of time Saturday trying to come up with stuff to do such as seeing Gang shows so Tim you need to get us out of this!
 
Blogger nick: I haven't checked yet with Lesley that the "party at Denise's" on Sat 18th doesn't involve me. Shouldn't affect Friday off, but may mean I'm not around. I'll check tonight
 
Blogger nick: ok, "denise party" doesn't involve me so I'm available for w/e of 17th

In other news, I realised that the "Amazon" caption which came up when I was playing Monolake was the track name, not the download source. I just checked and I bought it through iTunes, not amazon (the metadata of who you bought it from is in the MP3, which is why I assumed that's what it was)
 
Blogger Steve: Dear me Tim I'm surprised you didn't spot the track title!
 
Blogger Tim: I probably don't know *any* Monolake track titles. Same with most other cds tbh.
 
Blogger nick: Can't see anything on at local venues over w/e of 17th. Apart from the Gang Show obviously. There is this at the Titchfield Theatre which is just down the road from Tim


"Colder Than Here" - A moving comedy of a woman's journey to her grave. One mother’s lifetime passage is winding down to its final destination…a hilarious and powerful story of our human condition.
 
Blogger Steve: What about film? You wanted to see that B&W thing again didn't you? Maybe we can cycle on the IoW - nice and cold this time of year! But that route Tim chose was brilliant, maybe a bit muddy before summer. My chain has gone rusty - we should have used WD40 Nick!
 
Blogger nick: I'd like to see "The Artist" again but not sure Tim would like it. I mean "not sure" literally - there are bits of it I think he'd like but I don't know about the whole.

Went out on my bike last night with quite a lot of
layers, so I wasn't *that* cold. The last couple of
nights I've cycled while listening to the "I, Partridge"
audiobook which is quite good, and I think probably
not as dangerous as listening to music would be. I
notice you didn't take that with you Steve? It's not
outrageously funny so far (I'm about 1/5th through)
but maybe it gets better
 
Blogger Steve: No I don't fancy the Partridge really. The Pierre Moerlen sounds lovely on the hi-fi though so I do need to get those again and the 'missing' one which one person on Amazon says is their best!

That Node sample sounds promising, maybe a bit more dance influenced. Surprising how short a 24MB FLAC is! Also means I'm now on the mailing list.
 
Blogger Steve: News just in, David Sylvian tour cancelled due to back injury! FFS! Will update when I know more.
 
Blogger nick: Found I had a puncture on my MTB tonight, so thought I'd try going on the road bike instead. Turns out not to have been that great an idea - slid off on frost at the first corner - ouch.. lucky I had my helmet on because I banged my head. I think the bike is OK but I won't be trying that again. Need to mend puncture now so I'll be OK for tomorrow
 
Blogger Steve: BTW the official word is postponed until further notice, hang on to your tickets, er what tickets?

Crikey you banged you head and have not been wearing a helmet 'til recently! It is apparently unusual to hit your head as the shoulder normally gets it. I fell off about a year ago on road bike on ice, yes horrible. Had a decent scab for a while.

BTW I think that Wahnfried I borrowed is the one I was looking for. Drums 'n' Balls was terrible from memory.
 
Blogger nick: Well I'll leave Sylvian in my calendar just in case.

Didn't hurt my shoulder but landed quite heavily on my hip and bruised it so am limping quite a lot. I have fixed the puncture so MTB should be OK but not sure if I'll be able to ride it or not. Yesterday's ride was extremely short, but I have been out every day this year so far...
 
Blogger Steve: Oh dear the unbroken record could be going...

Actually I had badly double-booked that weekend so it gets me off the hook for now.
 
Blogger Tim: I wasn't keen anyway, so count me out if such a thing becomes possible, although I still don't mind being a reserve.
 
Blogger Tim: ...depending on the date, obv.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I'll put Suzanne as first choice. Annoying as I made such an effort to get good seats...
 
Blogger nick: I didn't go out on the bike last night, so the record is no longer 100%. But I think I had a reasonable excuse for missing a day, and I'm planning on doing a ride tonight (I feel a lot better today, was pretty ache-y yesterday) and continuing on a daily basis.

I did enjoy the ride on Saturday despite the mud so am looking forward to a bit more off-road at the weekend.
 
Blogger Steve: I suppose Tim only, do you fancy going to BLOC? Monolake supposedly playing (says their website) and Orbital and Gary Numan, Squarepusher etc. 6th/7th July £99.
 
Blogger Tim: Yes I saw that on monolake.de, unfortunately I'm going to be away on hols, bugger.
 
Blogger nick: Leg still quite stiff in the morning but seems to be OK for cycling. Went out on Saturday and did a bit of off-road. Got a puncture when I was about 3 miles from home, with no repair kit, so walked (limped) back. After fixing it, the tube still didn't stay up, so did a bit more examination and found two more holes. Maybe I need some "Marathon" tyres
 
Blogger Steve: Of course there is always Bestival this year - Orbital, Sigur Ros, Gary Numan(!)...

Reminder of next weekend (I had forgotten). We all have Friday off yes? Not sure about bringing a bike, feel I should, could just ride with Nick if it too cold for you Tim - went out in the snow today which was hard work. I could go to Nick's Thursday night and work it from there...

When is everyone available so I can plan my return journey for either Sat night or Sun morning?
 
Blogger Tim: I have Friday off, but there's a risk I'll have to cancel that, hopefully not though, will try to establish that tomorrow. I'm available all of Sat including evening, but not really any of Sun.
Cycling not too tempting in current climate.
 
Blogger nick: I have Friday off. Not sure about cycling - I've not been out for the last few days because of my leg, which is still not right. Went to doc on Friday - he said "leave it a week and come back if it's not better". I should have gone a week ago!
 
Blogger Tim: All-clear for Friday off, so, what's the plan? Are we all going to the doctor's?
 
Blogger nick: Not wanting to tempt providence but my leg is actually feeling a bit better today; maybe the doctor was right! I am keen on riding but I'm reluctant to go until the leg is better in case I make it worse. I have been missing my daily rides!
 
Blogger Tim: And actually it looks like it's not going to be so cold any more, so we could pencil it in?
 
Blogger Tim: How's the leg today?

It would be handy if we could get a bit of a plan together. Are you chaps staying down here, e.g. Friday night? Or, perhaps, just looking to ride down on Friday and train back later? (Or do that on Saturday, or the other way, or something. Or plan for a ride-free couple of days.) I'm easy, just trying to get a clue, might need provisions etc.
 
Blogger nick: ok so assuming Tim's not doing any riding, and not sure if I'll be able to (can't work out if my leg is getting better or not) how about

Steve gets to NW either Thu eve or Fri, brings his bike if it's convenient (not sure how Steve is getting here).

We come to HE on Friday, stay overnight, back to NW Saturday, stay overnight (if Steve wants).

I failed to locate any theatrical or musical events on over the weekend in the Hampshire area, but no doubt we can find something to do on Friday evening (film/meal/something)

Does that sound OK?
 
Blogger nick: I should add I'm quite keen on cycling if possible, but don't want to assume I definitely can do it
 
Blogger Steve: OK I will aim to bring two wheels, not sure on how I get there yet but will be Thurs night. Previous train has been a nightmare getting there before 4:30 and riding to Nick's work also seems to take years but I do get lost and/or rained on every time.

I agree we take bikes to Tim's either by train or car and stay that night. Tim just get tons of food in anyway :)
 
Blogger Tim: Given that there's been a distinct thaw I was going to risk a ride too, if there's any happening.

But anyway, Friday night here, that's a start.
 
Blogger Steve: I'm thinking at the moment that I make my own way to Nick's using the train and bike. We have a small work social so it will be after 9PM arrival I would think. Don't worry about food. There, the planning is well on the way. And D says we could book a cottage for the Bestival week and she do her own thing for those days. I'm not convinced of Bestival but nice idea on the accommodation!
 
Blogger nick: OK, got that.

I hear that headliner act at Bestival is New Order, fwiw
 
Blogger Tim: Forecast for Saturday is rain, so if we're cycling, better do it tomorrow. Some sort of circular route this end I assume. Also, the bedding situatioon hasn't improved so please bring duvet/pillows for one, cheers.
 
Blogger nick: OK ride on Friday sounds good - relying on tim to come up with the goods route-wise.

Had an email from Tony saying he's sold his trailer and asking if he can collect at 2pm on Saturday so it might be helpful if I could be home then, although not mandatory, I can drop a garage key round to him
 
Blogger Steve: Good the plan is forming, and good it means Nick has to drive us there and back as we can't carry the bedding :) Didn't fancy taking the rucksack all that way (suppose we could do the short ride to the station). I will have my old MTB as it saved me getting up at 5 to bring the new one. No panniers though hence the rucksack.
 
Blogger nick: Saturday's route. Not sure what happened at mile 30?
 
Blogger Tim: What happened at mile 30 was you texted Ella to say you'd be about 1 day late. But yes, I've just been trying to work it out, hopefully this is similar: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5306704
Basically we should have headed directly(ish) back from mile 28 to mile 3 which would require 2 left turns then a right. Took the first left far too early, then some time after the second left I realised we were heading towards Wickham (>Portsmouth >Dover >Moscow). Turned round and stuck to the route I knew.
 
Blogger nick: Looks a bit pricey but interesting
 
Blogger Tim: Doesn't sound at all tiring, either.
 
Blogger Steve: Good work on the routes and yes I often look at those organised things and get put off by the sponsorship, why Big Wheel is so good. And London to Brighton is only about the same distance.

Tim, that Time Pie is as terrible as I remember from Spotify, clever you slipping that in with the Krafwerk!

Having another go with some Wishbone Ash that I bought ages ago. Some good but really too simple-sounding.
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, but overnight??

Didn't mean to slip you the Time Pie, does that mean I only landed you with 2 bootlegs, or all 3?
 
Blogger Steve: 2 bootlegs I think, one a double?

We can organise a night ride ourselves but you need good lights as the average ones do not light up the road at all! Go for June 21st.
 
Blogger Tim: Or 4th June - full moon.
 
Blogger nick: Well since I always seem to be at the back, I was thinking I don't need powerful lights. But then I thought maybe I do, otherwise I'll not be able to see you in the distance.

Went out last night, my leg is still not quite right but better than it was. I think I ought to do some hill training, but it doesn't sound very tempting.
 
Blogger Steve: No, hill training is a bit horrible and I don't do anything too strenuous. BTW the David Sylvian is now officially cancelled so money back soon, they were looking at October but the band would be different etc etc.

You have your ticket for Friday Nick, don't forget. I'll probably forget mine now.
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, you just need another different bike.

And speaking of tickets, they had an excerpt of Einstein on the Beach on University Challenge the other day, that got me a bit excited.
 
Blogger nick: Yes I saw that University Challenge question - I thought "I wonder if that music is Philip Glass?" and it was. When the answer came up, I said to Lesley "I'm going to see that with Tim and Steve". She didn't say "are there any spare tickets?"
 
Blogger Tim: Weirdly, when I said "Ooh, that's Einstein on the Beach, we're going to see that soon", Tina said "You didn't ask me."

Maybe she was joking, dunno, I just listened out for the next question.
 
Blogger Steve: There is a nice-looking documentary showing at the Barbican about it here, but on a Wed/Thur.
 
Blogger nick: re: film/documentary -well this is something that feels like we should attend. How many more chances are you going to get to quiz PG in person?
 
Blogger Tim: If you're going on the Thursday then count me in.
 
Blogger nick: Wikipedia calls this page "The Global Lotus Notes Support Group"
 
Blogger Steve: You trying to get me the sack Nick?? Are you up for the film as well if it's Thursday?
 
Blogger nick: steve, yes I'd be up for the film on thursday.
 
Blogger nick: Bit upset that my "bite" card hasn't turned up yet, but looking forward to my bus rides tonight between Waterloo and Barbican
 
Blogger Steve: You can borrow mine, the pasty shop at St P is not in the scheme!

I'm looking at the future programme and I will be going to this, and maybe take my Dad(!), anyone else?

I will update soon with more stuff but beware it is Glass's 75th so they have stuff like Koyaan live :)
 
Blogger Steve: OK that film is not on the Thurs so checking with you Nick. It would be handy to book that Nevsky thing tonight while I am there if you can have a think aboutjavascript:void(0) it Tim. Thanks.
 
Blogger nick: Less likely I can do the Wednesday one.

the javascript:void(0) thing sounds promising though
 
Blogger Tim: Count me out for the Nevsky but the javascript:void(0) is a definite goer, cheers.
 
Blogger Steve: Thanks, not sure what happened there, trying to do too many things at once I suppose.
 
Blogger Steve: Thanks, not sure what happened there, trying to do too many things at once I suppose.
 
Blogger nick: or maybe it's just your mail client acting up?
 
Blogger Steve: Got a nice leaflet of releases with the copies of PMG's Leave it Open. So, do I need Pergamon, is this the live Tangram stuff? And David Bedford, you had some Tim, any good?
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, Pergamon has Tangrammy stretches. I think DB mostly counted as 'interesting'.
 
Blogger nick: Just listened to "Pergamon". Yes, a fair amount of Tangram on it. Second half of side two has a longish bit of sequence with guitar noodling. Not all that keen on the album, I don't think it's as good as Encore, Ricochet Poland or LiveMiles
 
Blogger Steve: Thanks you saved me some money there then. Ordered Trancefer finally so looking forward to those bonus tracks.

I was reading reviews on Amazon and saw one of Time Actor by Steve Dinsdale and thought the name familiar so I go to his reviews of among others, PMG albums. Turns out he is in Radio Massacre International. He copied a US review of their Syd Barrett album as a UK review instead of writing his own, fair enough. Sounds quite interesting.
 
Blogger nick: Something else to do on 6th May, before we make our way to the Barbican for Einstein on the Beach...
 
Blogger Steve: Oh well maybe not this year then, will give you longer to train for the next one Nick. New post in a min...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger