Monday, November 29, 2010
Steve: Windmill
Here's a picture of a windmill that Nick already has a much more professional one of. Of course I haven't used Photoshop...
Comments:
<< Home
nick: I think the pic is quite good - maybe I could get a copy of that framed and put opposite the first one?
Listening to "Moving Pictures" at the moment, which Spotify says is their "best album". It is quite good, makes me look forward to the concert.
Lesley says she is pushing for exchange on 4-Dec, completion by 11-Dec.
Listening to "Moving Pictures" at the moment, which Spotify says is their "best album". It is quite good, makes me look forward to the concert.
Lesley says she is pushing for exchange on 4-Dec, completion by 11-Dec.
Tim: There was proper snow here last night, what is the world coming to? We walked into work, it's a bit empty here today...
nick: Snow here too - I am working from home today but meant to be going into London this evening to see a film with my brothers. I think I can probably get in OK but not sure what the journey home will be like.
Had a text from Steve saying he's on the Orient Express!
Had a text from Steve saying he's on the Orient Express!
Tim: No, they're rubbish choices. Russia is too big (even though it's all going to be in European Russia) and Qatar is too small! So that's massive internal journeys, or nowhere to stay, respectively. Any of the other options would have been better (and everyone seems to know that). To be fair it was unlikely I'd have been going to 2022 anyway because all the bids were so distant.
The Orient Express sounds more like it.
The Orient Express sounds more like it.
Steve: Yes I'd buy the Bert but not the KS :)
I have renewed Barbican for another year so thought I'd better actually go. Any of the following any good?
Schubert/Rachmaninov Fri 25th Mar
Gershwin/Copland (!)Thur 5th May
Steve Reich stuff Sat 7th May
I have renewed Barbican for another year so thought I'd better actually go. Any of the following any good?
Schubert/Rachmaninov Fri 25th Mar
Gershwin/Copland (!)Thur 5th May
Steve Reich stuff Sat 7th May
Tim: I'd be up for any of those, especially the Reich, although it's a bit tricky to *guarantee* being available. (I can't spot any footie fixtures though.)
nick: Not exchanged yet - some of the paperwork has yet to arrive.. or something. Still hoping to exchange soon and I think still hoping to complete on 15th. Lesley is on the case.
Steve: Saw an ad for Yes tour next year and WAS half-tempted to see them at Cambridge. Have a look at the odd photo of them here and check out the lineup. And some news of new material!?!
Tim: Oh dear.
Still, I listened to GFTO the other day, that was a blast. I'd forgotten just how ludicrous Awaken is. Racket of the highest order.
Still, I listened to GFTO the other day, that was a blast. I'd forgotten just how ludicrous Awaken is. Racket of the highest order.
Tim: Neil and I are trying to work out our arrangements for next Tuesday. A bit of surfing tells me that GYBE played at Manchester last night, their set was approx 9pm to 11:10. I expect we'll be heading off for our trains at 11.
The support act is Dead Rat Orchestra.
The support act is Dead Rat Orchestra.
nick: why can't bands play at sensible times? what's wrong with starting at 7.30?
Looks like it's about half an hour from Limehouse to Waterloo, assuming DLR is running.
Looks like it's about half an hour from Limehouse to Waterloo, assuming DLR is running.
nick: re:DLR - no, so far as I know, DLR is OK. But when I looked on the tubemap the line colour I got mixed up with Waterloo and City line which from memory doesn't always run when you're up in London for the evening
nick: I can't really get enthusiastic about the Yes gig although I feel I should...
Just spoke with solicitor - completion date is now penned in as Thu 16, assuming all goes well. Need to go to building society today and organise the biggest
payment I'll ever have made in my life...
Just spoke with solicitor - completion date is now penned in as Thu 16, assuming all goes well. Need to go to building society today and organise the biggest
payment I'll ever have made in my life...
Tim: Neil and I are meeting at Waterloo at 17:54, then grabbing something to eat, hoping not to arrive at the venue too much before 19:00 which is when the doors are supposed to open.
So my guess is Bank at about 18:30 or so?
Will you know where to head us off, or where we should hang about if we're there before you?
So my guess is Bank at about 18:30 or so?
Will you know where to head us off, or where we should hang about if we're there before you?
nick: I can get to Bank station for 18.40. I'll be coming
from Hampton.
Supposed to be exchanging today, complete and
move on Thursday.
nick
from Hampton.
Supposed to be exchanging today, complete and
move on Thursday.
nick
Steve: I think if we meet at the Waterloo/City tunnel/junction we should be alright although I guess mobiles may not work. It's a standing venue so prepare for back-ache, bring your shooting-sticks.
Steve: Well that was good thanks, got to sleep about 1 so pretty tired but well worth it. Looks like album-wise you could be getting a bit of variation so caution advised but worth investigating. Listening to Tortoise today naturally.
Tim: You only missed about 15 minutes (but obviously they were the best). The sound got very muddy when it was loud, which I thought was quite a problem.
If I get round to buying an album (I've borrowed them off Neil) it'll probably be Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. Definitely not Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada.
If I get round to buying an album (I've borrowed them off Neil) it'll probably be Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven. Definitely not Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada.
Tim: Oops, I've just spotted another one, sorry. Explosions in the Sky, 19th May, at the Roundhouse.
Anyone interested (or are we already booked for anything)??. Also, what's best there generally, standing in the main bit or circle seating? Cheers. I'm assuming it wont be so epic.
Anyone interested (or are we already booked for anything)??. Also, what's best there generally, standing in the main bit or circle seating? Cheers. I'm assuming it wont be so epic.
nick: I liked it more than I'd expected to, almost worth £50 I thought.
I liked the noise aspect of it - esp the first track which seemed to keep on building to more and more crescendi.
Some of it felt a little formulaic but it was not a bad formula.
Can't see Galaxie Cygnus etc. on Amazon
I liked the noise aspect of it - esp the first track which seemed to keep on building to more and more crescendi.
Some of it felt a little formulaic but it was not a bad formula.
Can't see Galaxie Cygnus etc. on Amazon
nick: Another band I've never heard of ! But I typed "explo" into my search box and it suggested "explosions in the sky" so they must be well known
I'd be up for that. Would prefer seating, my feet are still a bit sore from last night
I'd be up for that. Would prefer seating, my feet are still a bit sore from last night
nick: Just noticed that Steve may not be able to make May 19th - he's on the Isle of Wight (I think) for the week
Steve: Crikey I look away for a minute...
Not been there but tried to get tickets for Robert Plant and failed. I am on holiday that week. Paul likes them (he will be busy I reckon) and we have an album at home which is not bad. Sort of wall of sound?
Does someone need to order 3 copies? 15EUR is £12.68 - we really are not used to inflation are we, CDs were £10 25 years ago!
Not been there but tried to get tickets for Robert Plant and failed. I am on holiday that week. Paul likes them (he will be busy I reckon) and we have an album at home which is not bad. Sort of wall of sound?
Does someone need to order 3 copies? 15EUR is £12.68 - we really are not used to inflation are we, CDs were £10 25 years ago!
Tim: Good idea, I'll order some. OK Nick? Just checking you haven't already.
Steve, if you want any Christ (or Prhizzm) on cd, go to benbecula.com's 99p closing down sale.
Steve, if you want any Christ (or Prhizzm) on cd, go to benbecula.com's 99p closing down sale.
Tim: Buggered if I can get the site to work, to place an order. Does anyone else want to have a go? If there's no news here by 10am tomorrow I'll try again from work.
Tim: OK, it's working (and it was probably just me being an idiot) so I'll bung an order in after 10 assuming nobody tells me not to.
Steve: I'm happy to have a copy probably SMD would be more expensive and take a share of the money.
I had already bought a copy of Christ's Blue Emissions for Paul but have put another order in for me - great spot thanks.
I had already bought a copy of Christ's Blue Emissions for Paul but have put another order in for me - great spot thanks.
nick: I saw Dirk Gently was going to be on but forgot about it. Probably being repeated? Or on iPlayer...
Move went ok, just tons of unpacking to do over the next few days.
Any news of Paul's interview yesterday?
Move went ok, just tons of unpacking to do over the next few days.
Any news of Paul's interview yesterday?
nick: old house not empty yet
strawbs - great thanks
Tim, do you (or maybe Neil) know what the track was they played first? The one that had "Hope" flickering on the screen for
strawbs - great thanks
Tim, do you (or maybe Neil) know what the track was they played first? The one that had "Hope" flickering on the screen for
Steve: This is all good stuff, do I get the impression that people are not at work here?!?
Off to Loughborough later to get son2. Weather coming!
Off to Loughborough later to get son2. Weather coming!
Tim: I'm at work, kicking around until I can take down a system at 5pm.
Hopefully weather not getting this far??
Hopefully weather not getting this far??
Steve: Have downloaded the concert - look forward to that. Watched Dirk Gently and really liked it. Pretty funny, must be on iPlayer?
Went for a ride in the snow yesterday, fell off twice and struggled to control the front wheel for the rest of the time (not the best tyres). But is was superb, what a lovely bike I have. And it was cold, my water bottle froze about 50% despite the constant sloshing.
Went for a ride in the snow yesterday, fell off twice and struggled to control the front wheel for the rest of the time (not the best tyres). But is was superb, what a lovely bike I have. And it was cold, my water bottle froze about 50% despite the constant sloshing.
nick: another good Winston Churchill quote in the first para of this article.
Is his writing as good as this in his books?
We have broadband on now at home, yippee! So I can watch Dirk Gently tonight
Is his writing as good as this in his books?
We have broadband on now at home, yippee! So I can watch Dirk Gently tonight
Steve: Yes his writing is flipping excellent, I need to read some more by him - good reminder. One of my favourites is the bit at the end of THIS.
Currently reading Clockers by Richard Price - very detailed fictional account of a drug-related murder in the US.
Currently reading Clockers by Richard Price - very detailed fictional account of a drug-related murder in the US.
Tim: Nick - Explosions in the Sky is looking unlikely, so don't clog your calendar up with it. I'll check with you again if things change.
The aim is to go to Dublin that week for the Europa League final on the Wednesday. Coincidentally EitS are playing there too, on the Monday, might go to that one instead!
The aim is to go to Dublin that week for the Europa League final on the Wednesday. Coincidentally EitS are playing there too, on the Monday, might go to that one instead!
nick: re: Explosions in the Sky - OK it's pencilled in the diary but I won't make any special effort to keep the date clear if something else comes up.
Steve - any news from Paul about his interview yet?
Steve - any news from Paul about his interview yet?
nick: re: post-Christmas visit - I think the Bachinis are visiting Deborah's sister in the week after Christmas, and are planning to come to ours either on the way there or on the way back. Not sure what day(s) that'll be yet - I think Deborah is going to let me know
Steve: I think we would arrive Wed night but only if there's no snow on the roads.
No interview news.
No interview news.
Steve: Excellent news on the Schroeder front and very quick considering the snow and all. Thanks for doing that Tim. I've stalled on the ripping front so need to have some more sessions to include his stuff.
Paul got offered a job yesterday working for Detica in system integration I think. AND he's wangled a late start of October so he can (try to) doss over the summer! He has an interview lined up with Accenture which I think he will still do although he loves the Detica idea. I still think TIBCO but nevermind, maybe we can get our testing product into Detica :)
Paul got offered a job yesterday working for Detica in system integration I think. AND he's wangled a late start of October so he can (try to) doss over the summer! He has an interview lined up with Accenture which I think he will still do although he loves the Detica idea. I still think TIBCO but nevermind, maybe we can get our testing product into Detica :)
nick: I think I suggested w/e of 23 to Deborah, although Lesley has since said she may be out on the Saturday evening.
re: Barbican - thanks for the heads-up, I would be interested steve
re: Barbican - thanks for the heads-up, I would be interested steve
nick: "Will stroll over and get 2 tickets" - it really is that easy for you, isn't it? ;-)
Thanks for getting tickets. I reckon I can get to Barbican foyer for 7pm on Friday, is that OK?
Thanks for getting tickets. I reckon I can get to Barbican foyer for 7pm on Friday, is that OK?
Steve: Yep 7PM should be fine. Yes it is pretty easy, being a member even the concert schedule flops through the letterbox which is what prompted me to choose this one.
20th Jan members can see the 2011/12 schedule and book b4 others on the 27th I think but stuff is too far ahead.
20th Jan members can see the 2011/12 schedule and book b4 others on the 27th I think but stuff is too far ahead.
Tim: I just played football for the first time in four weeks. Absolutely shagged.
Nick, how's the cycling going?
Nick, how's the cycling going?
nick: re: cycling - have been out every day; so far mostly doing the 4.5 mile circuit to Steventon. It is a bit cold and dark doing it in the evenings though, so looking forward to the summer!
Tomorrow I'll have to go out early morning because I might be late back from the Barbican concert.
Tomorrow I'll have to go out early morning because I might be late back from the Barbican concert.
Steve: Crikey that I did not expect. Only manage about once a week here. Maybe try tomorrow lunchtime but it's a wet forecast.
Steve: Hmm the concert was flipping good, the Berg violin concerto was as expected 'difficult' right from the first notes (which made me smile) but still had it's attractions being live and all. And it was short :) I need to buy the Prokofiev Scythian Suite having heard it.
Assume this only applies to nick, can we plan for the I0W Randonee as it's May bank holiday (1st) - you will be fit this year surely? I might even train for it as it's anti-clockwise :)
Assume this only applies to nick, can we plan for the I0W Randonee as it's May bank holiday (1st) - you will be fit this year surely? I might even train for it as it's anti-clockwise :)
nick: Yes the Prokovief was pretty good esp the violins in the 3rd movement.
Saw "Tron" at the IMAX on Sat, OK spectacle but not very good film. Music wasn't bad.
Randonnee - yes count me in, I've put it in the calendar. I should be well fit by then
Saw "Tron" at the IMAX on Sat, OK spectacle but not very good film. Music wasn't bad.
Randonnee - yes count me in, I've put it in the calendar. I should be well fit by then
Steve: I think you may have meant the Janacek (last thing) as that's what you said on the night :)
I already have clearance for the IoW so we are good to go. Tim, you have plenty of notice...
I already have clearance for the IoW so we are good to go. Tim, you have plenty of notice...
nick: Had a mailshot from St michael's hospice who are
doing a charity bike ride on 11 June "an exciting
100km moonlit ride through London..circular fully
signposted" starting at 11pm from crystal palace.
Anyone up for that?
doing a charity bike ride on 11 June "an exciting
100km moonlit ride through London..circular fully
signposted" starting at 11pm from crystal palace.
Anyone up for that?
nick: They're also doing a cycle from lands end to John o groats but I'm not sure I would be up to that
nick: Tim are you around next weekend then? Steve and Deborah are coming to us on Saturday afternoon and going back Sunday.
Steve: Sorry for the lack out of output, I've been off work for a week with some 'flu thing which won't go. Just hope we are actually on for Saturday.
I liked the London ride idea until I saw how much you had to be sponsored to be in it!
I liked the London ride idea until I saw how much you had to be sponsored to be in it!
nick: Sorry to hear you've been ill Steve. I hadn't noticed the cost of the London ride - £175 sounds quite a lot...
nick: Tim - maybe come for lunch on Sunday? It looks like my mum might be coming for lunch as well, so I'm sure she'd like to see you all
Tim: That looks like a goer, cheers. I'll be driving up, and looking to avoid breakfast. Is anything going on, any particular sort of time I should arrive?
nick: Tim, no particular plans for Sunday, unless you want to suggest some. Expect we'll be doing lunch around 1-ish? My mum will be there for lunch.
Steve and Deborah are planning on coming down late Saturday afternoon but I think Steve has not been well lately so may not be bringing his bike.
Steve and Deborah are planning on coming down late Saturday afternoon but I think Steve has not been well lately so may not be bringing his bike.
Steve: Thanks for a great relaxing time Nick as usual. I found something scary and interesting on at the Barbican - Einstein on the Beach, 5 hours though!
Steve: Flip this Schroeder album is excellent even on my CD walkman while she watched Larkrise. Thanks Tim! Let's hope he releases the rest of his back catalogue.
Tim: Wow, I'd be up for Einstein, in principle at least.
Nick, I left my gloves and cap in your coat cupboard. Just so you know. They don't matter.
Nick, I left my gloves and cap in your coat cupboard. Just so you know. They don't matter.
nick: Thanks for coming at the weekend - it was great to see you and my mum was really pleased to be able to talk to Steve/Deborah/Tim
Steve, hope you're feeling OK.
Re: Schroeder - I've listened to some of it (not all) and it sounds noticeably different to the original. It's as if he played the original tape and then did some noodling around on top of it, so it doesn't have quite the same bleak feel as before. Maybe it'll grow on me.
I have an MD of the original one - I'll see if I can burn some CDs of it and send you them.
Steve, after you left we did some speaker swapping - I put my "office" speakers downstairs - these are Monitor Audio RX1s (I think) and they sounded noticeably better (Tim thought so too). I suspect it's the lack of wall behind the Dynaudios which was making a difference.
Maybe you can bring your speakers with you next time you come. Oh, and the floorstanders which Tim used to have. Thanks.
Steve, hope you're feeling OK.
Re: Schroeder - I've listened to some of it (not all) and it sounds noticeably different to the original. It's as if he played the original tape and then did some noodling around on top of it, so it doesn't have quite the same bleak feel as before. Maybe it'll grow on me.
I have an MD of the original one - I'll see if I can burn some CDs of it and send you them.
Steve, after you left we did some speaker swapping - I put my "office" speakers downstairs - these are Monitor Audio RX1s (I think) and they sounded noticeably better (Tim thought so too). I suspect it's the lack of wall behind the Dynaudios which was making a difference.
Maybe you can bring your speakers with you next time you come. Oh, and the floorstanders which Tim used to have. Thanks.
Tim: Speaking of which, I've found the spikes for those floorstanders. I expect they make a lot of difference. I'll (forget to) bring them along next time.
Steve: Been to hosp for another blood test and jab, scan Thursday so have to go back each day so WFH a bit this week which I don't like.
Speakers is interesting, won't be bringing them on the train though!
The Schroeder was not what I was expecting, I thought it was just going to be random noises. Got it on again now. I do love his trademark sounds.
Speakers is interesting, won't be bringing them on the train though!
The Schroeder was not what I was expecting, I thought it was just going to be random noises. Got it on again now. I do love his trademark sounds.
Steve: Nick you mentioned seeing Pictures at an Exhibition. An amateur group is doing it at the Barbican Friday 11th March for charity. Tickets in the circle are £10 at the back (probably fine) or £25 nearer the front.
nick: Steve - yes would be up for Pictures on 11-March
Not sure about Einstein on the Beach, although the link you posted appears invalid, and when I search for "einstein" on the barbican website it doesn't find anything.
Not sure about Einstein on the Beach, although the link you posted appears invalid, and when I search for "einstein" on the barbican website it doesn't find anything.
Tim: It's in the google cache, (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="einstein+on+the+beach"+barbican), dunno what's going on though. No need to panic anyway, it's not on until May 2012.
Steve: Very odd the link works for me but maybe I have a logged in cookie.
Leg been scanned and veins are all fine so no further action. So why does it still hurt then? Although it is getting a lot better.
BTW Nick, Amnesiac is amazing. And The Bends is in my 1000 albums to hear... book so I will give it another go. Been re-capping on Mahler's 1st 2 before taking the plunge on the other 7! And listening to KS Live, how did he come up with those rhythms?
Leg been scanned and veins are all fine so no further action. So why does it still hurt then? Although it is getting a lot better.
BTW Nick, Amnesiac is amazing. And The Bends is in my 1000 albums to hear... book so I will give it another go. Been re-capping on Mahler's 1st 2 before taking the plunge on the other 7! And listening to KS Live, how did he come up with those rhythms?
nick: I am trying to concentrate on "Kid A" at the moment. Need to go into the garage and find it, rather than listening on Spotify. I've not really got "The Bends" out of my system yet though.
Just sold another philosophy book on Amazon - I'd forgotten they were still on there! That means I've only one book still left on my seller list.
Going to London tonight to see a film "NEDS" with my brothers.
Good quote in the Guardian today about one of the NotW reporters accused of phone-hacking:
"However, a senior News International executive has
claimed that Dan Evans's defence is that he phoned
Kelly Hoppen's number for legitimate reasons and
accidentally accessed her voicemail when the keys
on his phone got stuck."
Just sold another philosophy book on Amazon - I'd forgotten they were still on there! That means I've only one book still left on my seller list.
Going to London tonight to see a film "NEDS" with my brothers.
Good quote in the Guardian today about one of the NotW reporters accused of phone-hacking:
"However, a senior News International executive has
claimed that Dan Evans's defence is that he phoned
Kelly Hoppen's number for legitimate reasons and
accidentally accessed her voicemail when the keys
on his phone got stuck."
Steve: BTW Rush tickets have arrived and well ahead of time so I now have the worry of losing them rather than the worry of them not turning up!
Steve: Just finished watching Into the Wild, one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. Paul recommended it, I can't praise it enough.
nick: Rather unbelievably, after someone bought my penultimate book on amazon on Wednesday, the final one sold last night. So 18 months of not selling anything, then the last two go in the space of two days.
But not really a money-making scheme though: I'd say that after postage/amazon fees are taken into account, I perhaps did a little better than breaking even on the whole thing.
But not really a money-making scheme though: I'd say that after postage/amazon fees are taken into account, I perhaps did a little better than breaking even on the whole thing.
Steve: Nick, don't forget to put Friday 15th April Luton Strawbs in your calendar, I seem to have missed this one, I seem to have a lot booked up this year already.
nick: Thanks for the reminder Steve -already in the calendar
Talking of which, I think Tim is going to set up a shared google calendar for us?
Talking of which, I think Tim is going to set up a shared google calendar for us?
nick: Been listening to LastFM a bit - don't seem to be *too* many adverts. Specifically listening to a station using the "dream pop" tag which has cocteau twins like stuff.
And actually most of it seems pretty good. It's playing some "Curve" at the moment which I might have to buy, and there's been loads of stuff which I'd never heard of before and is quite pleasant.
And actually most of it seems pretty good. It's playing some "Curve" at the moment which I might have to buy, and there's been loads of stuff which I'd never heard of before and is quite pleasant.
nick: Inspired by Vince Cable
Q: You're locked in the room with a mad dog, a mountain lion and a banker and you've got a gun loaded with only two rounds. What do you do?
A: You shoot the banker twice.
loads more in the guardian article today
Q: You're locked in the room with a mad dog, a mountain lion and a banker and you've got a gun loaded with only two rounds. What do you do?
A: You shoot the banker twice.
loads more in the guardian article today
Steve: This was funny/cringe-making...
A beggar got on the tube last night and was politely asking for money as we all mentally la-la-la-ed to block it out. He said he had 34p etc etc. Someone gave him some money so he moves to the next half of the carriage and repeats his patter but now he has 64p! So we're all thinking that the last person only gave him 30p and they are probably thinking thanks for telling everyone!
Post a Comment
A beggar got on the tube last night and was politely asking for money as we all mentally la-la-la-ed to block it out. He said he had 34p etc etc. Someone gave him some money so he moves to the next half of the carriage and repeats his patter but now he has 64p! So we're all thinking that the last person only gave him 30p and they are probably thinking thanks for telling everyone!
<< Home

