Thursday, May 07, 2009
 
Steve:  May
Good effort Nick, I'll check my calendar and we will do something. Just got the central London cycling map out here coincidentally for someone who wants to walk at lunchtimes, good old Ken.

Comments:
Blogger nick: here's a good one for Paul (and maybe me- no hills)

Flatout in the Fens.
 
Blogger Steve: BTW one of the Icknield club died on Sunday on a time-trial on the A1 and I'm pretty upset about it. Paul is pretty bad as well as he had a bit more dealing with the guy. Just 38 with a family.
 
Blogger nick: oh... sorry to hear that, thoughts are with you..
 
Blogger Tim: Oof. For some reason I assumed he keeled over (probably because I can relate to that) but I see from google news it was a car crash, ugh.

Not connected at all, honest: Nick, I think I'll give cycling a miss tomorrow, weather's not looking that fab.
 
Blogger Steve: Yes it's the crash aspect I think that is doing me in but I'm not sure why I'm so upset to be honest.

The following dates I have availablity:

Sun 31st May - not ideal as Paul has a race but D could take him

6/7th June clear
27/28th June clear

Currently reading Simon Schama's 1st British history volume (I bought all 3 from eBay recently). Only as far as 1066 though.
 
Blogger nick: re:riding - no problem tim, maybe next week?

re: cycling dates, I can manage any of the days you suggest Steve. Over to you Tim
 
Blogger Tim: Next week, yep probly.

Those other dates look fine, let's try and book two of them in.

31st and 27/28 have the advantage of being furthest apart, but that's hardly crucial.
 
Blogger nick: Right

6/7-Jun (exact day tbd) let's do the Reading Thames ride then. I would offer to plan a route but it's not my strongest ability - Tim?

and 27/28-Jun either Greenwich or London town

all ok for that?
 
Blogger Steve: Yep it's a deal. I have the Reading map somewhere that I bought so I'd better make a start on that route.

Paul came down for a memorial ride for the guy and it was great but not a big turnout so not sure who organised it. We did a lovely 55 - the weather was amazing. You should tag along to one of your local rides Nick although I guess it would clash with church.
 
Blogger Tim: Yep. Steve's got the maps though.
 
Blogger nick: re: memorial ride - what an excellent idea!
 
Blogger Tim: The current forecast for Saturday is "Rain". But I'm available should it improve.
 
Blogger nick: I think I better duck out of this Saturday - not the rain, I don't mind that - but my dad is here from the US and wants to drop in on Saturday morning on his way to the airport.

maybe 23rd? Or maybe it's getting light enough that we could consider an evening ride
 
Blogger Tim: OK.

Evening rides, I've forgotten how that works - what time do we start?
 
Blogger nick: Not sure if you've been following this, but Simon Singh was in court last week and the ruling from the judge wasn't very favourable, see
Jack of Kent blog.

But he has apparently said that he'd like to appeal, so maybe it's not over yet...
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, it's been all the talk. It does seem a bit Kafkaesque that to defend the case he would have to prove something that he doesn't think is true.
 
Blogger Steve: Why can't I see you arranging a ride for this Saturday???
 
Blogger Tim: Good point!

The weather forecast is not looking bad, as it stands, and I'm available.

How about you two? :-)
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I'm available, hence the question! I was going to sneak in but if you haven't arranged one bit difficult.
 
Blogger Tim: Excellent. I have a bit more leeway on timing this week, in case a 9am Micheldever start is a problem.
 
Blogger Steve: Ok I'll look at trains, timetable didn't indicate engineering delays but I will book face-to-face as we tried to book a cycle space for Paul the other day and the online system mucked it up. He was allowed on however. If we have a plan I would turn up for between 9 & 10 and leave say 4pm.

BTW there is (of course) a Hampshire Jam again this year but I think Bas Broekhuis's drumming was a suitable swansong.
 
Blogger nick: there seems to be a load of activity going on all of a sudden..

ok, I can make Saturday - Lesley is in Spain but I don't mind leaving Ella for the morning. You're welcome to stay over at ours if it helps, Steve/Tim.

My (last ever) philosophy exam was last night - I don't think I did fantastically well but wasn't too bad so I reckon I'll be OK. No more studying for a while! Now I can play Battlefield:Bad Company and read non-textbooks without feeling guilty!

Has your class finished yet Steve?
 
Blogger Tim: I think the amount of leeway I've got tomorrow is: I can do 9am, 10am or 11am at Micheldever. (Or 8:30 or 9:30 at Hedge End, but I can't see that helping.)
 
Blogger Steve: I'd say aim for 10AM Micheldever and I'll try to get to Nick's in time for this. I'll just get a day return and aim to get a 4PM train home.

One more painting class I think after half-term, you must be well relieved Nick.
 
Blogger Tim: OK. That's a day return to Hedge End I suppose you'll want then, Steve, unless you're going to make Nick do both ways.
 
Blogger Steve: Good point on the ticket well done. My season counts as a railcard so Nick's return will be well-cheap. Although we could ride back...
 
Blogger nick: ok so just to confirm:

Steve's going to be at mine by 9.30; we'll ride to Micheldever, to rendezvous with Tim around 10, then all cycle to Hedge End, and then Steve and I cycle/train back to Micheldever.

What kind of bikes? Tim has up until now planned routes that require off-roading, in which case Steve needs his MTB.

I don't mind either way, but Steve probably needs to know in advance..
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I'd need to know before I set off, I'd probably prefer road so it's not such a schlep across London and to Nick's. But MTB is fine, I use it to train at lunchtimes :)

Didn't have to reserve a bike space so should be fine whatever train.
 
Blogger Tim: Good point, I'll plan an on-road route, with an optional off-road stretch or two should Steve turn out to be man enough. I'll find out when you both finally turn up at Micheldever whether I'm going to be fastest or slowest.
 
Blogger Steve: Ok got that thanks - another good reason for using the road bike is that the MTB is in the office so I would have to take a detour to get it/return it. hello dx
 
Blogger nick: steve, do you need a lift from the station tomorrow?

nick x
 
Blogger nick: I sent an email to my MP yesterday about the fact that the minimum railcard fee went up from £10 to £13.

Within a few hours, he replied. He put the correspondence on his websiteAt this rate, I think I might have to vote for him.
 
Blogger Tim: Well done.

And here's that Ico thing.
 
Blogger Tim: Speaking of which, do the new PS3s have any advantages over the old PS2-compatible ones?
 
Blogger nick: yes, saw the trico trailer - looks promising, and I think I might be able to guess where the emotional stress will come into that game... Also some of the comments made reference to the Colossus game in a way that made me think perhaps I should play it a bit more.

Re: PS3 - they've removed PS2 compatibility (and other stuff) since launching, and AFAIK they've not added anything (apart from upping the hard disk size). So the PS2 compatible ones ought to be better (they also have more USB ports, and SACD compatibility, I think wikipedia will tell you).

I suppose the early models might be less reliable or more noisy (they've rev'd various hardware components)? although I don't think I've heard any complaints.

There are rumblings that a future "firmware" update will add PS2 compatibility, although some people say that this is not technically possible. It's also claimed that this wouldn't happen until the PS2 line stops being profitable (Sony still make a lot of money out of selling PS2s apparently).
 
Blogger nick: and while on the subject of ps3/ico, here's an Ico level that someone built in Little Big Planet. Not sure it's that fantastic but gives you an idea of the sort of thing you can do with the workshop bit of the game (if you've got the time)
 
Blogger nick: This year's Big Wheel is on Sunday 26-July
 
Blogger Tim: I was having a look yesterday lunchtime - PS3s are huge! I never realised.

Anyway, forecast for Saturday is sunny, and I'm available.
 
Blogger nick: re: saturday ride - not going to be able to do this, sorry - although weather does look quite good.

Do we know what we're doing next weekend yet?
 
Blogger Tim: That's OK, I quite fancy a lie-in.

Next weekend, Sunday is distinctly best for me (or Saturday morning if we're being less ambitious).
 
Blogger nick: Thanks, Ben Goldacre, I am much more conscious now that articles purporting to be "scientific research" are just the result of a commercial organisation paying money to some academic in order to be able to come up with a press release that they can use for their own promotional purposes.
 
Blogger Steve: I was thinking of the Reading-London one so I guess Sunday then.

Nick do you want my just mastered copies of Gone to Earth (Sylvian) and October (U2)?

Re: Goldacre - like the tea marketing board telling us about the antioxidant properties and bottled water companies saying you need to drink tons of the stuff each day.
 
Blogger nick: Reading->London OK with me. Are you sorted for planning a route tim?
 
Blogger Tim: No, Steve's got the maps, we already said that!
 
Blogger nick: yes, but his maps aren't as up to date as your OS dynamic web link thing
 
Blogger Steve: Yes all I have to do is find the map and work out if it has any that is not good for road bikes (for Stuart who works here).

BTW Richard is 60 so party tomorrow and I've started a proper diet to lose a stone :(

Matt's new guitar amp definitely buggered so I have to heave it back to the shop in London at some point. Means a taxi from St Pancras.
 
Blogger nick: We just published a whitepaper which refers to our use of Data Diodes. I'd not heard of these before they started doing testing on them in the office (I suppose it's a simple enough idea but poses some interesting challenges for messaging)
 
Blogger Tim: OK, I've mapped out an optimal route, but it might need a bit of tweaking if we're restricted to certain surfaces.
 
Blogger Tim: More seriously, what are the actual end-points of the route likely to be? Reading/Staines was totally arbitrary, but I had a look, and see that trains are doable - for me at least. (Might need to reserve cycle spaces?) So, it'd be handy to know what we're actually looking at...
 
Blogger Steve: Nick your link on diodes didn't work :) but I had a look anyway. You haven't wated loads on expensive drawing packages I see!

Tim, what sort of route is that?!?

I was thinking Reading station to London down Sustrans route 4:

Reading - Maidenhead - Windsor - Staines - Kingston upon Thames - Putney Bridge.

It would be easy to keep going to central London for trains back out - well I'll be doing this anyway.

Hurrah I have found the map, it's very good as they break the route into a series of rectangles. It even has surfaces marked but the 3 grades are main road/minor road/traffic-free. Traffic-free can be cycle tracks so I'd say we do MTB and I won't worry about Stuart - we can always do it another time or I'll do a road one separately for him. I'll try to talk Deborah into it as she is out Saturday so we wouldn't see each other all weekend. Matt has exams else he would've done it.

BTW I bought a cheap copy of Record Collector and it seems to be a lot better as vinyl wanes. Loads of reviews and bits of news. This CD/DVD pricing site is mentioned and although the search could be better it does work pretty well.
 
Blogger Steve: Just searching for a way to get rid of Margaret Moran and found the number 10 petitions site - los against the 50MPH on single carriageways. Here's a great quote from the AA:

"Edmund King, president of the AA, warned that the move could alienate some motorists. Last year the AA asked 17,481 motorists if the limit on single carriageway roads should be cut to 50mph. Nearly half backed the move but 38% opposed it."

So more back it than don't but but but 38% opposed it!
 
Blogger Tim: OK, I think I'll be booking Monday off for recovery :-)

I looked at the forecast yesterday and it said Rain for Sunday, but that's now been postponed until Monday which is promising. Will keep an eye on it.
 
Blogger nick: As an aside... recently I've been involved in a fair amount of planning type stuff for work (what are we going to do next/who should be doing what/etc.) and it is such a nice feeling to have you two sorting out the details of this trip - I feel totally cool that I can just turn up and the whole thing will be planned. Thanks!
 
Blogger Steve: Erm pinch and a punch and all that...
 
Blogger Steve: No-one took the hint so new post for June...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger