Friday, September 05, 2008
Tim: Next audio component
Right then blokes, it came to pass that I found I need a CD player with digital out. (I'm borrowing the one from the lounge at the mo, for DTS). I also have a couple of DTS DVDA discs. So - what do I need to buy? And are there any other formats I seriously need to consider?
Comments:
<< Home
Tim: OK, based on a quick shufti, a DVD player that does DVDA will typically also do CD and SACD fwiw. That covers it then?
Steve: I was going to mention SACD - Nick has some Genesis remasters that you can use to test it out. As for brands/models who knows?
BTW I have had an idea to take my under-utilised MTB to work for the odd lunchtime ride. The roads are busy at peak times but during the dy they are not too bad, just lots of traffic lights!
Paul is in love with his fixed-wheel that he's got going. he even got up Stockingstone at the end of yesterday's club ride.
PS I know why Gentle Gient didn't make it big, that album I bought is awful on first go!
BTW I have had an idea to take my under-utilised MTB to work for the odd lunchtime ride. The roads are busy at peak times but during the dy they are not too bad, just lots of traffic lights!
Paul is in love with his fixed-wheel that he's got going. he even got up Stockingstone at the end of yesterday's club ride.
PS I know why Gentle Gient didn't make it big, that album I bought is awful on first go!
Steve: Nick, Point Blank was excellent! Even read a bit in the evening which is unheard of for me. Paul is reading it as he is working on his own with very low customer numbers. have given him Naked Prey as a follow-up. I am now on The March by E.L.Doctorow - US civil War novel. it was on the 'new in' stand when I went to pick up Churchill III and I fancied it. Very good so far, I can't do straight historical books (except Churchill) as I find them boring. Someone has to have it happening to them. Highly recommend The Siege by Helen Dunmore.
I think I had a lucky escape on the Eng Lit front - watching a bit of a Thomas Hardy programme they were talking about one of his heroines and I nearly threw a brick at the screen.
I think I had a lucky escape on the Eng Lit front - watching a bit of a Thomas Hardy programme they were talking about one of his heroines and I nearly threw a brick at the screen.
nick: Tim - next saturday doesn't look good: I think we'll be travelling down to Exeter on Friday evening. How about 20th or 21st?
Glad you liked "Point Blank" Steve. I originally got it from the library as it was out of print, but they seem to have re-issued them lately. I've read a few more in the "Parker" series and they all seem pretty good, although maybe they don't all have the same impact of the first one. I saw the Mel Gibson version of the film recently and it wasn't bad. I'd like to see the Lee Marvin one.
I finished "After Dark" thanks Tim- OK but a little bit on the surreal side for me. Just borrowed SS-GB (Len Deighton) from the library because they didn't have "Bomber" when I looked.
No idea about SACD. But it would be interesting to hear one, and as Steve says I've got a few Genesis albums.
Glad you liked "Point Blank" Steve. I originally got it from the library as it was out of print, but they seem to have re-issued them lately. I've read a few more in the "Parker" series and they all seem pretty good, although maybe they don't all have the same impact of the first one. I saw the Mel Gibson version of the film recently and it wasn't bad. I'd like to see the Lee Marvin one.
I finished "After Dark" thanks Tim- OK but a little bit on the surreal side for me. Just borrowed SS-GB (Len Deighton) from the library because they didn't have "Bomber" when I looked.
No idea about SACD. But it would be interesting to hear one, and as Steve says I've got a few Genesis albums.
Steve: Weird thing about Point Blank, I ignored the cover picture of a 50/60's car and assumed it was set before the war by its style! Not read SS-GB so don't blame me!
Tim: Nick, OK let's pencil in 20th am for now?
I'll probably just get a Cambridge Audio dvd player so it matches the amp (not important but makes deciding easy), only £99 and bound to do the trick.
I'll probably just get a Cambridge Audio dvd player so it matches the amp (not important but makes deciding easy), only £99 and bound to do the trick.
Steve: Of course you must put the DVD-player UNDER the amp to preserve it from heat and vibration. Can't wait to see how you manage it.
I'd get the £10 5-year warranty on that as well - refundable it's a no-brainer (although I forgot to cash my amp one in!).
I'd get the £10 5-year warranty on that as well - refundable it's a no-brainer (although I forgot to cash my amp one in!).
Tim: Just a couple of planning snippets...
We've going to be on holiday 15-25 Oct. Anything on the horizon between now and then (except Sat 20)?
Steve, did you get any TD tickets in the end?
We've going to be on holiday 15-25 Oct. Anything on the horizon between now and then (except Sat 20)?
Steve, did you get any TD tickets in the end?
nick: what's happening on 20th Oct? Did I miss something?
Tim, this is what you need to get down to the shops for...
Tim, this is what you need to get down to the shops for...
Steve: No I didn't order tickets in the end as it didn't seem like we were that keen. Have we been invite to the HJ?
I was thinkling of seeing AH but probably won't on finance grounds. I can also apply this to the TD one.
I was thinkling of seeing AH but probably won't on finance grounds. I can also apply this to the TD one.
Tim: Nick, by 20th I mean Sept, bike possibility.
A guy here has got Spore and is going on about it quite a bit. I'll have to find out what the hardware reqs are.
Steve, right, I thought we were doing TD because we might as well, but yes it could be a waste of money so fair enough.
Nothing on the HJ front yet. No doubt something will spring up on emportal.info when anything happens.
A guy here has got Spore and is going on about it quite a bit. I'll have to find out what the hardware reqs are.
Steve, right, I thought we were doing TD because we might as well, but yes it could be a waste of money so fair enough.
Nothing on the HJ front yet. No doubt something will spring up on emportal.info when anything happens.
Tim: Sporeguy has just pointed out that there's a war on about the game's DRM, and most of the reviews on amazon uk give it one star.
nick: yes, now I come to think of it I do remember there being a bit of moaning about the DRM thing. Didn't mention that in the Guardian review though.
And I didn't know they were even touring, let alone that the tour had been cancelled. I'll keep an eye on the Brook website so we know when they'll be there.
And I didn't know they were even touring, let alone that the tour had been cancelled. I'll keep an eye on the Brook website so we know when they'll be there.
nick: btw tim, tony bought tickets for the "definative" genesis tribute band on 28th Sep at the brook. Didn't hear from you so didn't get you one, but I don't imagine they'll be sold out yet...
Steve: A stand-in for Jon, what are they thinking of?!? And their 40th(!) anniversary, so what have they done that's decent for the last 30? Nothing.
Although it's our 23rd (not too sure) anniversary at the weekend and what have we managed?
Post a Comment
Although it's our 23rd (not too sure) anniversary at the weekend and what have we managed?
<< Home

