Saturday, February 16, 2008
Steve: Weekend

I've started a new one so we can arrange and I can post a picture of the current setup. I have an LP of Colisseum II on to test it after hearing one of Tim's
Yes recordings (I won't use the actual word). It sounds really nice considering the technology, as usual the band are trying to keep up with the drummer. Note the use of the trusty Cambridge amp as turntable preamp so that's saved me a bit of money. I had to un-bi-wire but I only have one join in each channel so it remains to be seen if it affects things. I'm probably going to buy some decent phono cable to make a short CD link. More later.
Comments:
<< Home
nick: Looks very nice Steve, maybe I need a new hifi rack too. I recognise that Yes "recording" at the front.
Ella has arrived in Colorado after a mammoth trip: left Basinsgtoke at 4am yesterday morning; flight from LGW was delayed which had knock-on effects on subsequent connections, so they didn't arrive at their resort until 5am this morning (10pm local time). They are due to get up 6am local time for equipment fitting and first ski lessons so I reckon they'll be tired. She is due back next Sunday, arriving at school any time from 11am onwards so I will need to be available in Basinstoke on Sunday morning.
I saw "No Country for Old Men" last week - was very good, and wouldn't mind seeing it again if that's something suitable for fitting in next weekend. I think Tim might like it - there is a plot, but they don't make it particularly easy for the lazy viewer.
If the weather next weekend is like it is now, it will be pretty good for cycling. Are you up for that Tim? Failing that, anything else you fancy doing?
Another top-cultural event in Basingstoke is on Thursday Feb 28th at our local library. Check out this link. Tim and Steve might be interested, having read some of his books; I've not yet (despite receiving one from Steve - thanks) but I could read it if we're going.
Ella has arrived in Colorado after a mammoth trip: left Basinsgtoke at 4am yesterday morning; flight from LGW was delayed which had knock-on effects on subsequent connections, so they didn't arrive at their resort until 5am this morning (10pm local time). They are due to get up 6am local time for equipment fitting and first ski lessons so I reckon they'll be tired. She is due back next Sunday, arriving at school any time from 11am onwards so I will need to be available in Basinstoke on Sunday morning.
I saw "No Country for Old Men" last week - was very good, and wouldn't mind seeing it again if that's something suitable for fitting in next weekend. I think Tim might like it - there is a plot, but they don't make it particularly easy for the lazy viewer.
If the weather next weekend is like it is now, it will be pretty good for cycling. Are you up for that Tim? Failing that, anything else you fancy doing?
Another top-cultural event in Basingstoke is on Thursday Feb 28th at our local library. Check out this link. Tim and Steve might be interested, having read some of his books; I've not yet (despite receiving one from Steve - thanks) but I could read it if we're going.
Steve: Any ideas on the timings for Friday?
I recently re-read No Country (it seemed familiar as I progressed through it). It is an awesome book - you are right that the plot is not the main thing. It is written in McCarthy's particular terse and tough style rather like a western. A couple of moments when a hitman is talking to his victim are particularly compelling.
Not sure about an evening of poetry and music to be honest.
Halving the cable, single-wiring and doubling the length of the speaker cable has spoilt the bass sound; it waffles around a bit. I have read sensible articles on the rubbish cable manufacturers say and ordered some hopefully thick cable from a 'normal' cable seller. I'll use this for the bass units in case frequency response is an issue.
I recently re-read No Country (it seemed familiar as I progressed through it). It is an awesome book - you are right that the plot is not the main thing. It is written in McCarthy's particular terse and tough style rather like a western. A couple of moments when a hitman is talking to his victim are particularly compelling.
Not sure about an evening of poetry and music to be honest.
Halving the cable, single-wiring and doubling the length of the speaker cable has spoilt the bass sound; it waffles around a bit. I have read sensible articles on the rubbish cable manufacturers say and ordered some hopefully thick cable from a 'normal' cable seller. I'll use this for the bass units in case frequency response is an issue.
Tim: Basigstoke is wehre it's all at on Thursdays then.
I take it we're not doing the Henry Moore this time, so is it worth lining up a day off in March?
If it fits in I'll come up Friday evening, and back Saturday evening, unless some other plan materialises? Can bring bike, of course.
I take it we're not doing the Henry Moore this time, so is it worth lining up a day off in March?
If it fits in I'll come up Friday evening, and back Saturday evening, unless some other plan materialises? Can bring bike, of course.
Tim: News just in -
Squinting Cat Productions
announces its last ever event
HAMPSHIRE JAM VII
THE FINAL ENCORE
Liphook Millenium Hall, Hampshire
DATE STILL TO BE CONFIRMED - LIKELY TIMING OCT/NOV 2008
Line up to be revealed on the day
Tickets priced at £35 (cash payment on door) or £36.45 via Paypal. Sorry no cheques.
Further information will follow. Please visit this page for regular updates on status. This really is the last one!
- So, there's not a huge amount of information there, but shall we try and do it? I'm game to buy some tickets, and get rid of them later if needs be. What do you think?
Squinting Cat Productions
announces its last ever event
HAMPSHIRE JAM VII
THE FINAL ENCORE
Liphook Millenium Hall, Hampshire
DATE STILL TO BE CONFIRMED - LIKELY TIMING OCT/NOV 2008
Line up to be revealed on the day
Tickets priced at £35 (cash payment on door) or £36.45 via Paypal. Sorry no cheques.
Further information will follow. Please visit this page for regular updates on status. This really is the last one!
- So, there's not a huge amount of information there, but shall we try and do it? I'm game to buy some tickets, and get rid of them later if needs be. What do you think?
nick: Friday timings: not sure yet - do you have the afternoon off steve? I may take some time off on Friday depending.
Hampshire Jam - I'm up for that; it would be a shame to miss the absolutely final one ever.
Hampshire Jam - I'm up for that; it would be a shame to miss the absolutely final one ever.
Tim: Nick, Steve said "I have the afternoon of the Friday off. If you are not around Nick I could always ride to Basingstoke for a laugh."
nick: right.. ok I'll have a think. We could try riding to Basingstoke from my office, but that poses a slight logistical problem of how I get my bike here.
Steve: Yes I'll go to the Jam thanks. I have the PM off but have to visit a customer that day so we are going for AM but I can just see the hassle of not finishing ontime! It means I have to bring spare clothes as well as the bike - maybe bring the suit in Thursday and leave it here. Visiting Warwick uni tomorrow so a nice day out with Paul.
Does a train get you anywhere near work Nick? Although you will then have to avoid the peak period with your bike. Or you drop it the day before via car...
Does a train get you anywhere near work Nick? Although you will then have to avoid the peak period with your bike. Or you drop it the day before via car...
nick: I've spent quite a while looking into it and can't see an easy way to get me and my bike into work on Friday with the car somewhere else.
The most likely option would be for me to park the car halfway to work on Friday, and cycle in the rest of the way, so that we could cycle back to my car later in the day. But for that to be a worthwhile ride, it'll have to be reasonably long, which means (a) there's more chance I'll get lost and (b) I might get tired, doing it twice!
So I think it would be better if I just bring my car in on Friday and give Steve a lift home: I can take the afternoon off and we can do a cycle ride in the afternoon (maybe around Hampton before going home). How does that sound? Also means we aren't committed to a long ride if the weather is bad.
Tim you're welcome on Friday. There is a performance of "No Country for Old Men" at 8.15 Friday evening, so I could book that for the three of us.
The most likely option would be for me to park the car halfway to work on Friday, and cycle in the rest of the way, so that we could cycle back to my car later in the day. But for that to be a worthwhile ride, it'll have to be reasonably long, which means (a) there's more chance I'll get lost and (b) I might get tired, doing it twice!
So I think it would be better if I just bring my car in on Friday and give Steve a lift home: I can take the afternoon off and we can do a cycle ride in the afternoon (maybe around Hampton before going home). How does that sound? Also means we aren't committed to a long ride if the weather is bad.
Tim you're welcome on Friday. There is a performance of "No Country for Old Men" at 8.15 Friday evening, so I could book that for the three of us.
Steve: OK I will train/cycle to your work Nick but the arrival could be a bit hard to predict because of the site visit in the morning. I will probably tube a bit of the way to save time and hassle. It's fine that we are not riding to Basing actually as I would have my rucksack of clothes etc which could be a pain after a while. But we can do something in the afternoon no problem.
Tim: I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get a train on Friday before the one that arrives MichelD 20:02 / Basingstoke 20:15 so NCFOM looks a bit tricky unless there's a later slot or one on Saturday?
nick: Steve, I'll book the afternoon off but can hang around at work until you get here. Do you need directions? Some stuff is n our website, or just give me a call when you're nearby. We're just down the road from Hampton railway station, in case you might find it useful to come part of the way via train.
NCFOM is on 8.15 on friday and 8.15 saturday (no other times I can see). So if you are around on Sat evening we could try for then.
NCFOM is on 8.15 on friday and 8.15 saturday (no other times I can see). So if you are around on Sat evening we could try for then.
Steve: OK I will get the District Line to Richmond to avoid central London then I will be coming along the Thames Path to your office Nick. Estimate arrival there between 1 & 2. So maybe if we coordinate you can set off towards me along the Thames Path to meet halfway when I get to Richmond - it's about 6 miles?
Tim: Great weekend boys, lets keep lining them up. Hope your journey home wasn't (isn't being?!) too torturous Steve.
Anyway, I just went to hmv as instructed, ordered the two upcoming CDs at decent prices, plus X and Digit (with dvd) for £2.99 each. Eh?
Anyway, I just went to hmv as instructed, ordered the two upcoming CDs at decent prices, plus X and Digit (with dvd) for £2.99 each. Eh?
Tim: Or did I mean tortuous? Tortoisous??
Anyway, latest HJ7 news posted at emportal.info:
"Looks as if tentative date is Sat Nov 15th. Will confirm definitely in next few days. Steve"
Anyway, latest HJ7 news posted at emportal.info:
"Looks as if tentative date is Sat Nov 15th. Will confirm definitely in next few days. Steve"
nick: Thanks very much to all for coming, I think it was a good weekend. Sorry if it was a bit too film oriented for you Tim...
re: £2.99 KS CDs - yes Steve came across these last night when we were having a browse. And he's ordered multiple copies of them, so I don't think we're going to be short (assuming that they actually arrive).
Ella got back OK this morning, but said that one of the students on the trip lost their passport, which they didn't realise until they were about to board the connecting flight from Atlanta to LGW. They (and a teacher) have had to stay in the US until a new passport can be issued - which is likely to take 5 days. I don't envy that teacher.
Tim do you have my gloves by any chance? I couldn't find them this afternoon when I went out for my ride.
re: £2.99 KS CDs - yes Steve came across these last night when we were having a browse. And he's ordered multiple copies of them, so I don't think we're going to be short (assuming that they actually arrive).
Ella got back OK this morning, but said that one of the students on the trip lost their passport, which they didn't realise until they were about to board the connecting flight from Atlanta to LGW. They (and a teacher) have had to stay in the US until a new passport can be issued - which is likely to take 5 days. I don't envy that teacher.
Tim do you have my gloves by any chance? I couldn't find them this afternoon when I went out for my ride.
Tim: Oops, well you can't have too many copies of X can you.
Your gloves are in the drawer. Or, a drawer, anyway.
Your gloves are in the drawer. Or, a drawer, anyway.
Steve: An excellent weekend thanks with great food (which is the main thing isn't it?). The remaining hotcrossbun only made it until Woking :)
Journey back wasn't too bad. I cycled to the station but turned right too early and ended up at Maplin. I was seduced by the Big Wheel route I think - it looked familiar. But I arrived at 9:35 for the 9:44 and the bike door was right in front of me. Very slow to London (1:45) as it detoured around Surrey. Works also on my line so I went to St Pancras but there was a fast Thameslink waiting for me so home by about 12:40.
If we have too many X's etc we can flog them on eBay no problem. I still haven't even opened the Cyborg I got ages ago - it's not remastered but is digipak.
Looked at Paul's broken bike and it needs a new derailleur and Campag stuff is pretty expensive. New handlebar tape also required and one of the shifters was already duff and they are over £100 a pair!
Is Good Friday any good for Kew? We are a bit pushed for other weekends, not sure about days off yet. On foot I'd say and I'm trying to talk Paul into coming, maybe Matt, maybe Sophie.
Journey back wasn't too bad. I cycled to the station but turned right too early and ended up at Maplin. I was seduced by the Big Wheel route I think - it looked familiar. But I arrived at 9:35 for the 9:44 and the bike door was right in front of me. Very slow to London (1:45) as it detoured around Surrey. Works also on my line so I went to St Pancras but there was a fast Thameslink waiting for me so home by about 12:40.
If we have too many X's etc we can flog them on eBay no problem. I still haven't even opened the Cyborg I got ages ago - it's not remastered but is digipak.
Looked at Paul's broken bike and it needs a new derailleur and Campag stuff is pretty expensive. New handlebar tape also required and one of the shifters was already duff and they are over £100 a pair!
Is Good Friday any good for Kew? We are a bit pushed for other weekends, not sure about days off yet. On foot I'd say and I'm trying to talk Paul into coming, maybe Matt, maybe Sophie.
Steve: Looks like they are here to stay unfortunately. Have a look at this site on those new cases - "Perhaps one of the most pleasantly surprising aspects we have noticed is that due to the robust quality of Super Jewel Box products far, far less are used in the after market either by retailers, distributors or consumers. Whereas Original Jewel Box would crack and fall apart very easily, Super Jewel Box has been designed and engineered to last much longer."
nick: Good Friday (21-March) looks fine for me. I'll talk to Lesley about it when she gets back (due back late this evening)
nick: I notice that the films we saw over the weekend won a total of 7 oscars between them (NCFOM:4; BU:3).
Tim: For a minute I thought Steve had managed to do a Nick-style endless hyperlink.
Good Friday looks, er, good.
Good Friday looks, er, good.
Steve: Kontinuum sounds good and familiar - on the way to HJ?
Gong - You is too much faffing about so a fiver saved there.
It appears I now have to buy Trancefer for the remixes which are noticeably different.
Gong - You is too much faffing about so a fiver saved there.
It appears I now have to buy Trancefer for the remixes which are noticeably different.
Tim: It has been reported by a team member that "the great earthquake of 2008" could be felt in the northern part of Basingstoke. Nothing round here though.
How about you two?
How about you two?
nick: Didn't feel anything in North Waltham, but a team member here claimed that he'd heard it could be felt as far south as Southampton.
nick: I didn't see much publicity for "E-Day" yesterday: a campaign to get people to turn off appliances overnight rather than leave them in standby.
I turned off a load of stuff and was rewarded by finding that my router wouldn't work when I turned it back on again. After a fair amount of power cycling and faffing about, it's come back.
Even more disappointingly, the stats from their page appear to show that usage on E-Day was higher than for a normal day (these are updated in "real-time" so I don't know how reliable they are, but currently show that usage was 2.9% HIGHER than normal).
See:
for current info
I turned off a load of stuff and was rewarded by finding that my router wouldn't work when I turned it back on again. After a fair amount of power cycling and faffing about, it's come back.
Even more disappointingly, the stats from their page appear to show that usage on E-Day was higher than for a normal day (these are updated in "real-time" so I don't know how reliable they are, but currently show that usage was 2.9% HIGHER than normal).
See:
for current info
Steve: I've thought about putting the router on a timer but haven't for exactly the reason you saw. I must crack on and get that mains monitor built...
(Nick) I've had a quick look at volunteering through work and there is a mass of web sites but what I want is something like:
"You've got 6 blokes for a Saturday in London, give us something to do." But I suppose until they know they have your attention they can't plan anything!
(Nick) I've had a quick look at volunteering through work and there is a mass of web sites but what I want is something like:
"You've got 6 blokes for a Saturday in London, give us something to do." But I suppose until they know they have your attention they can't plan anything!
nick: I emailed my MP (George Young) on Sunday saying that aviation fuel should be taxed. Got a good letter back from him yesterday - he agreed, and called the current situation "wholly anomalous". Said that George Osborne is planning to introduce tax of some sort based on fuel usage, rather than per-passenger (which I think is the current government proposal, but means that empty planes don't pay much tax).
Anyway, it was an encouraging answer.
I also emailed M+S to thank them for charging 5p/bag. I said I'd be happy for them to charge £1/bag. They replied today saying thanks and that they'll consider increasing the charge in the future. In today's news Gordon Brown is reported as saying he wants some degree of compulsion to help reduce carrier bag use.
I've not written to the local paper yet.
Anyway, it was an encouraging answer.
I also emailed M+S to thank them for charging 5p/bag. I said I'd be happy for them to charge £1/bag. They replied today saying thanks and that they'll consider increasing the charge in the future. In today's news Gordon Brown is reported as saying he wants some degree of compulsion to help reduce carrier bag use.
I've not written to the local paper yet.
Tim: I'm not sure £1 is such a great idea, because there are occasions I'm going to unpredictably buy something and I don't really want to carry a bag at all times. In fact, that's often the case at M&S. It's more the big supermarkets where I know in advance I'm going to buy stuff...
BTW did you find them gloves?
Meanwhile, just in from HMV:
"Here is an update on the SCHULZE, KLAUS X: 2CD CD
It's out of stock, but don't worry, we're doing all we can to get it, fast. It's a high priority for us." "And it's not our fault, that bloke Steve ordered multiple copies."
BTW did you find them gloves?
Meanwhile, just in from HMV:
"Here is an update on the SCHULZE, KLAUS X: 2CD CD
It's out of stock, but don't worry, we're doing all we can to get it, fast. It's a high priority for us." "And it's not our fault, that bloke Steve ordered multiple copies."
nick: re: £1/bag - I take your point, although I think if everyone did that then people would get used to it and it wouldn't be a problem. Also you could implement schemes like £1 returnable deposit for a bag etc.
re: gloves - yes found them thanks (in the wrong drawer - cuh!)
I got some new shorts from wiggle - endura coolmax - pretty comfy although noticeably cooler than my other ones. They'll be good for the summer though. Steve was right, delivery is free (although not by default, you have to click the "free delivery" button).
re: gloves - yes found them thanks (in the wrong drawer - cuh!)
I got some new shorts from wiggle - endura coolmax - pretty comfy although noticeably cooler than my other ones. They'll be good for the summer though. Steve was right, delivery is free (although not by default, you have to click the "free delivery" button).
Steve: I heard that the famous Irish experiment of taxing 10p on bags has backfired. People are prepared to pay for decent longer-lasting bags so the net effect is actually MORE plastic being used annually.
I ordered a Digit as well for the DVD (and then for eBay).
Had great ride yesterday despite the wind on the old bike which feels good to ride (until I try the new one), all of the people who know say don't respray yourself as it's a heck of a job and lengthy - 2 weeks for the final dry-off. Summer project in the garage then.
I ordered a Digit as well for the DVD (and then for eBay).
Had great ride yesterday despite the wind on the old bike which feels good to ride (until I try the new one), all of the people who know say don't respray yourself as it's a heck of a job and lengthy - 2 weeks for the final dry-off. Summer project in the garage then.
Steve: Apparently the KS are on their way so one will have your name on it Nick if you like. Can't wait.
nick: re: Irish carrier bags - I'd not heard that, but even if the effect is that more plastic is being used (which I'd be surprised is the case, over the long term), at least there will be fewer individual bags floating around and killing swans etc..
re: KS. Can't wait. did you order a Gong cd for me as well? Perhaps I should buy you an hmv.co.uk voucher to pay for it.
re: KS. Can't wait. did you order a Gong cd for me as well? Perhaps I should buy you an hmv.co.uk voucher to pay for it.
nick: Steve
I raised the idea of "software escrow" here after you mentioned it - apparently it is something that we did offer in the past but it involved a fair amount of administrative overhead and so it's not something we do now. We do sell source licenses though so that's a way for customers to get a similar sense of security I suppose.
I also noticed that on (which hasn't got much recent news on it), it's still got Faye's email address. Maybe worth updating - you don't know how many leads you might be missing otherwise!
nick
I raised the idea of "software escrow" here after you mentioned it - apparently it is something that we did offer in the past but it involved a fair amount of administrative overhead and so it's not something we do now. We do sell source licenses though so that's a way for customers to get a similar sense of security I suppose.
I also noticed that on (which hasn't got much recent news on it), it's still got Faye's email address. Maybe worth updating - you don't know how many leads you might be missing otherwise!
nick
Steve: Hmm our web site is a disaster. Yes she's left but her emails are forwarded - I doubt that we have another name to put up there!
Going to see the Luton Symphony Saturday evening if I get time from the decorating. No it should be okay, I've written a list/schedule for the order of things to guarantee a smooth transition to the new carpet. The killer is having to allow a day for a coat of paint to dry.
Going to see the Luton Symphony Saturday evening if I get time from the decorating. No it should be okay, I've written a list/schedule for the order of things to guarantee a smooth transition to the new carpet. The killer is having to allow a day for a coat of paint to dry.
Tim: What are the LSO playing?
Looks like HMV are going to send 1 cd at a time - so far Dig It and Klangart are on their way, separately.
Looks like HMV are going to send 1 cd at a time - so far Dig It and Klangart are on their way, separately.
Steve: It's always one CD at a time I'm afraid although it does mean they fit in the letterbox.
Those disks are still £2.99 but say out of stock so I doubt very much that we'll get them. My X for Christmas from Celia (Play) has still not arrived, nor has a Camel DVD from HMV for Richard.
Tomorrow is nice and varied:
Weber ~ Jubel Overture, Opus 59
Elgar ~ Serenade for strings
in E minor, Opus 20
Rose ~ Romance and Rondo for horn
(Conducted by the composer)
Dvorak ~ Symphony No. 7 in D minor, Opus 70
I think I may have the symphony but haven't heard it for years.
Those disks are still £2.99 but say out of stock so I doubt very much that we'll get them. My X for Christmas from Celia (Play) has still not arrived, nor has a Camel DVD from HMV for Richard.
Tomorrow is nice and varied:
Weber ~ Jubel Overture, Opus 59
Elgar ~ Serenade for strings
in E minor, Opus 20
Rose ~ Romance and Rondo for horn
(Conducted by the composer)
Dvorak ~ Symphony No. 7 in D minor, Opus 70
I think I may have the symphony but haven't heard it for years.
Steve: Bless, Robert Schroeder has a son called Klaus and is about to release the second album of archive material.
Steve: OK HMV came through with the goods - I just wanted to wait until Nick had received his X before I posted this. I have heard 'sides' 3 and 4 of X so far and they seem very nice. Good old Heinrich von Kleist (prob my all-time favourite KS track) is lovely with Harald's drums and cymbals regaining their naturalness instead of the harshness of Magnum's version. Of course I miss the crackles from when I sneezed on the LP - NOT! Listening has not been easy as the front room is in a state so I have badly positioned speakers and lots of echo from the lack of furniture. Paper's starting to go back on so I'm hopeful that the end is in sight.
Be warned D is already asking when we are meeting on Good Friday.
Be warned D is already asking when we are meeting on Good Friday.
Tim: DigIt arrived the other day, and I've just got round to hearing the disastrously named Esoteric Goody and it was better than I expected. Klangart arrived this morning. I had to cancel the rest of my order because I had some credit card strife (the bank phoned me up to check some transactions and they were fraudy) but my new card arrived today so I reordered X. Still £3, although I see Digit is £16 now. The other one I had ordered (Virtual Outback, Disc 1 of Contemporary Works 2) has gone up from £9 to £11 which is enough to make me think again!
As for Good Friday I see there are the inevitable engineering works so I have to change trains and go on a detour after Basingstoke. On the other hand I don't need to wait until 10 to use my railcard. According to the timetable I can make it to either Kew Bridge (two changes) or Kew Gardens (with three changes for that one, so that's never going to work) on the hour-ish. How about 11am or 12?
As for Good Friday I see there are the inevitable engineering works so I have to change trains and go on a detour after Basingstoke. On the other hand I don't need to wait until 10 to use my railcard. According to the timetable I can make it to either Kew Bridge (two changes) or Kew Gardens (with three changes for that one, so that's never going to work) on the hour-ish. How about 11am or 12?
Steve: Unless Nick drives you up but that's not very friendly is it?
Yes I saw that track title as well. Good job I didn't bid on Robert Scroeder's Hamaja - £21 quid! And the interview was interesting as it said that he lived on his music income for the years while he didn't create any new stuff. He must be pretty frugal then.
And yes going over the £10 barrier is off-putting. SMD had a £3 off all main section titles the other day which made things a bit more sensible. But I feel I've spent a bit lately and need more time to actually listen to the stuff.
Yes I saw that track title as well. Good job I didn't bid on Robert Scroeder's Hamaja - £21 quid! And the interview was interesting as it said that he lived on his music income for the years while he didn't create any new stuff. He must be pretty frugal then.
And yes going over the £10 barrier is off-putting. SMD had a £3 off all main section titles the other day which made things a bit more sensible. But I feel I've spent a bit lately and need more time to actually listen to the stuff.
nick: Maybe it would be best if I drive up with Tim - can pick him up from Basingstoke. Slightly reduced environmental impact if we both come in one car...
Review in the paper last Saturday on a book about potatoes. IDKT "Each tuber contains all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, calories and cellulose necessary for life: a healthy adult could survive indefinitely, though perhaps unenthusiastically, on potatoes alone." And someone did just that for a couple of years apparently. See: review.
I've been listening to "X" and it's pretty good. Haven't heard it for ages - I don't think I previously had it on minidisc or CD.
Review in the paper last Saturday on a book about potatoes. IDKT "Each tuber contains all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, calories and cellulose necessary for life: a healthy adult could survive indefinitely, though perhaps unenthusiastically, on potatoes alone." And someone did just that for a couple of years apparently. See: review.
I've been listening to "X" and it's pretty good. Haven't heard it for ages - I don't think I previously had it on minidisc or CD.
Tim: OK great, I can make it to Micheldever at 6 minutes past the hour or Basingstoke at 17 past. Over to you two...
Steve: Is there a plan B if the weather is going to be poor? I don't fancy it much if it's going to be raining. Also we coul go for a meal afterwards before we all split up. Matt is keen on noodles if that helps.
BTW the extended version of Georg Trakl is worth the money alone - what were they thinking of with the edited version? I listened to all of the first disk Saturday night after the visitors had gone.
BTW the extended version of Georg Trakl is worth the money alone - what were they thinking of with the edited version? I listened to all of the first disk Saturday night after the visitors had gone.
Tim: I see what you mean about Plan B, just checked the 5 day forecast and it says sleet! Noodles don't sound so bad though.
Now whistling Trakl.
Now whistling Trakl.
Tim: OK, for plan B I'm available Sat 22, Sun 23, Mon 24, Fri 28, Sat 29, Sun 30 (last day of the exhibition).
In a none-too-spooky coincidence my X was on the doormat when I got in. It's a pity Frank Herbert is still only 10 minutes, he was my favourite...I think.
In a none-too-spooky coincidence my X was on the doormat when I got in. It's a pity Frank Herbert is still only 10 minutes, he was my favourite...I think.
Tim: I finished the Harlan Coben book that Nick recommended, and it was as bad as a bad film. It was easy to read though... :-)
Steve: Tim I've never seen you so 'available'! The plan B I had in mind was an alternative on that day such as piling to Nick's. I think the rest of our Easter is jammed, need to check the following weekend.
And yes I had mentally prepared myself for another 20 minutes of Frank Herbert and was initially disappointed that it wasn't extended.
And yes I had mentally prepared myself for another 20 minutes of Frank Herbert and was initially disappointed that it wasn't extended.
nick: Is there a planned time for meeting in Kew (assuming we do that)? From that we can work out what train Tim needs to be on etc..
I'm not sure what else is in the vicinity of Kew Gardens, but am happy to eat noodles or whatever. If you want to come to Basingstoke on Friday instead, that would be fine. You could watch "The Bourne Ultimatum" again.
Tim, I'm glad you read the Harlan Coben - do you think Tina would like it? It was her I had in mind when I suggested it. I just read another of his ("The Woods") which had pretty much the same meta-plot, but was nevertheless a good read.
I'm not sure what else is in the vicinity of Kew Gardens, but am happy to eat noodles or whatever. If you want to come to Basingstoke on Friday instead, that would be fine. You could watch "The Bourne Ultimatum" again.
Tim, I'm glad you read the Harlan Coben - do you think Tina would like it? It was her I had in mind when I suggested it. I just read another of his ("The Woods") which had pretty much the same meta-plot, but was nevertheless a good read.
Tim: Well, I've got the Friday off so that makes it easier to be available at the weekend too. Nick, have you got any other free slots?
Steve: Apparently we are not especially busy the following weekend. D says I could come to Basing on my own Good Friday if the weather is terrible although she was miffed that I'd seen the Bourne III and she hadn't :)
I'd say 11 at Kew as a rough guess, it's 40 minutes from central London on the tube.
I'd say 11 at Kew as a rough guess, it's 40 minutes from central London on the tube.
Tim: I don't know whether Tina would like the Coben, maybe. It's not too bad to read, if a bit corny. Then it turns out just to be a con. When you say The Woods has the same meta-plot do you mean "main character lies to reader in order to make plot interesting"?
Sat 29th then, maybe? Nobody else is off Friday?
Sat 29th then, maybe? Nobody else is off Friday?
nick: By meta-plot, I mean that both books feature a normal-kind-of-guy who's getting through life having got over some traumatic event several years ago, when, out of the blue, mysterious things start happening which suggest that business was not finished.
He's done a few like this, not all have an "unreliable narrator", although I do remember "Tell No-One" being a bit outrageous in that respect.
I think I am free Sat 29th, but this Friday is a lot more convenient.
He's done a few like this, not all have an "unreliable narrator", although I do remember "Tell No-One" being a bit outrageous in that respect.
I think I am free Sat 29th, but this Friday is a lot more convenient.
Tim: The forecast for Friday has improved a bit, it's now "light rain". Windy though.
When are we deciding on go/no go?
When are we deciding on go/no go?
nick: I say "go", and risk the weather. If it's too bad, I'm sure we can think of something else to do
Tim: Right, then I imagine I'm thumbing a lift from Micheldever at 10:06 or Basingstoke at 10:17..?
Latest forecast (hourly now) has the rain stopping mid-morning but chilly wind after that.
Latest forecast (hourly now) has the rain stopping mid-morning but chilly wind after that.
Steve: Yep we'll go, D & I am in agreement on this. P will be working and I can see M dropping out. A guy here has an annual membership as it is such a nice place to wander in.
See you around 11 at the entrance nearest the tube station I guess.
See you around 11 at the entrance nearest the tube station I guess.
nick: Probably Basingstoke is easiest for me, so pick you up from there at 10.17 tomorrow? Give us a call/text if anything changes
nick
nick
nick: I found the reference that I was thinking of for a definition of art. This is from Oswald Hanfling:
A work of art is an object that fulfils the following three conditions (paradigm case) or at least two of them:
- it is an object made mainly for the purpose of providing aesthetic satisfaction
- it provides aesthetic satisfaction
- it is not easy to make
Not sure if that's right, but it seems to fit quite a lot of cases that I can think of...
A work of art is an object that fulfils the following three conditions (paradigm case) or at least two of them:
- it is an object made mainly for the purpose of providing aesthetic satisfaction
- it provides aesthetic satisfaction
- it is not easy to make
Not sure if that's right, but it seems to fit quite a lot of cases that I can think of...
nick: Although.... as I pointed out in my first essay, ANY object can provide aesthetic satisfaction. So maybe more criteria are needed.
Post a Comment
<< Home

