Friday, July 06, 2007
 
Tim:  Hurrah
Morning boys. Yes it's my birthday, great, thanks for the cards, but also we just exchanged contracts on the house. In the excitement I've just posted another pic from last week on the wiki. Similar to the first one (from mid-May) but looking a lot better.

It being a proper-sized house we'll actually have a real spare room at last so start booking your holidays in south Hampshire now. We expect to have the keys end of August-ish. Or wait until we've got a mattress on the spare bed if you're really fussy.

So, nothing else to sort out except 3 storeys worth of flooring, blinds/curtains for 20 windows, kitchen appliances, a couple of new sofas, lights...

Comments:
Blogger Steve: Congratulations Tim, another year! 44 is a nice round number isn't it - not that I'll think so in a month's time. And another house of course.
 
Blogger nick: yes happy birthday tim. for some reason steve's reply to this was considered "spam" by gmail so I only just came across the entry.

Looking forward to next Tuesday - Tim and I are planning on cycling from Southampton to Basingstoke in the evening.

Also I'm likely to be in London tomorrow for Tour de France prologue so may text you or something Steve, no idea where we'll be but perhaps we can meet up

nick
 
Blogger Tim: Hope you're having fun, I see it's a bit busy.

BTW, on Google Maps:
"New! Drag & drop the blue line to customize your route", fantastic feature.
 
Blogger Tim: So, how did it go?
 
Blogger Steve: Saturday was amazingly busy and a great atmosphere. We caught a few freebies thrown from the cavalcade - Paul's hat has to be seen to be believed. We had a good view of the cyclists but didn;t want to spend 3 hours standing watching 1 a minute so watched some on the grass via big screen.

Sunday we went to Gillingham and got right to the barrier at the sprint section but there was no sprint as Millar was out in front. Very impressive to see them all come through plus the 100s of cars etc. Paul was over the moon at seeing them however briefly. He is recording the daily programmes for future consumption.

Work's pretty crap at the moment but I can;t be bothered to do anything about it. Looking forward to 3 weeks off soon - 1st time I've ever taken this long off in one go.
 
Blogger nick: John & I didn't meet up with steve on Saturday - there were quite a lot of people in London! We were standing on the street near Buckingham gate for the first half, then made our way back to the lawn outside Big Ben where they had a big screen we could watch. I was surprised that you could notice which riders were fast as they went past - I'd assumed they'd be going at very similar speeds, but some were really pushing it.

John isn't very familiar with London so was taking lots of photos of the buildings, bless him. It was pretty nice to be able to walk on the roads which were closed.

I didn't travel anywhere to see it on sunday but I gather the Bachinis did. I watched some of the TV coverage - recognised the bits when they went through Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, since that's where my grandparents used to live.

So have you planned a route for tomorrow Tim? Drag that line around on google maps to avoid the motorway and hills.
 
Blogger Tim: There's an Avoid Highways box you can tick. Nothing about hills, sadly.

Roughly: Woolston/Hedge End/Alresford/Axford/North Waltham. I'll have a map for the middle section (in case I don't recognise it any more). OK?
 
Blogger Tim: Looking at the hills on the OS map, the way to avoid them is to go offroad now and again. But, I assume you're bringing your road bike? What you really need is a cyclocross.

With a bit of luck I'll be home by about 5:15 tomorrow, OK?

On Saturday, if it fits in, Tina and I might pop to Basingstoke in the afternoon, then I can get myself dropped off after that (early evening) - any good?
 
Blogger nick: I have the day off tomorrow so can get down to Southampton whenever.

Looks like train getting into Southampton at 16.40 would be OK, although it's a Virgin one which apparently means I have to make a reservation for a bike. I'll try doing that tomorrow, and send an email to confirm.

Yes I reckon Saturday evening would be fine so far as I can tell
 
Blogger Tim: Right, I'll try and get home a bit sooner then.
 
Blogger nick: train is at 16.36, getting in around 17.15 I think.

I think I may bring the mountain bike - the weather doesn't look great - in which case we can do a bit of off-roading.

Are you planning on being at the station? If not I think i can work out how to get to yours... google maps says it's about 3.5 miles, so should take 15 mins or so I expect.
 
Blogger Tim: OK, right.

On the local forecast this morning they were saying it would clear up for the evening. We'll see.

Fortunately Bevan Close is very close to the route from the Station to North Waltham, so I'll wait there.

The easiest option is to come out of the station on the S side (platform 4) like this. Left out of the station then right at the lights (ignore that imaginary hairpin detour it draws) to go through Harbour Parade, then left to go past Red Funnel at Town Quay then head on to the bridge.
 
Blogger Tim: Steve, you'll like this. Due to mechanical failure (Nick's chain snapped just after Hedge End) we had to resort to catching the train to Micheldever. From there we walked uphill and freewheeled down. Obviously, being so close to North Waltham, we didn't need a map.
 
Blogger nick: ...and according to websites I now need a new chain and new rear cassette. Lucky I'm not depending on that bike for Big Wheel.

Speaking of which, there are notices saying M3 between J4-6 is shut from 10pm to 8am Sat/Sun night. So if you're coming down on Sunday morning, I guess best to time the trip to avoid that (i.e. aim to arrive at Basingstoke between 8-9).

Or you'd be welcome to stay overnight on Saturday - I think Tim is planning on doing that.

nick
 
Blogger Steve: I was really enjoying listening to the arrangements I must say and then the swansong was superb. I thought you had that bike serviced? I normally have chain repair stuff on me but assume it's never needed. You may or may not need a new cassette, if you get a chain we can fit it SATURDAY evening - that was always the plan however vaguely we got it across. It'll be Paul and me and don't forget he works so I imagine 8:30 and we will have eaten.

BTW it'll be interesting to lay the new and old chain side by side - you will probably notice a fair difference. Or just measure the links, 12" should be a round number of links, any more than 1/8th of an inch stretch and the cassette is dubious.

Also BTW I haven't been on the bike for about a week so you should be fitter than me!
 
Blogger nick: yes the bike was serviced but the service didn't include looking at the chain.

That has done well over 2,000 miles in about 5 years so I'm not too disappointed. Don't you reckon I'll need a new cassette then? the wiggle website said I should get one. But we can sort it on Saturday evening as you said. Look forward to seeing you!

nick
 
Blogger Steve: I've just changed chain on my MTB after only a year so maybe it was a cheap one I got. Yet to see if it slips on the old cassette as it's always wet weather and I can't be bothered with the cleaning. (Or I'm on call and daren't risk it.)
 
Blogger Tim: So, the forecast for Sunday is heavy rain. Super.
 
Blogger nick: re: forecast - don't you believe it. It's been really sunny every year I've ever done it.

I put a new chain on the MTB last night but it seems to slip a bit when I pedal. So I brought the back wheel in to work today and took it to the handy cycle shop nearby - they put on a new rear cassette. Not sure whether my front chainset also might need replacing but I gather that could be expensive.

From now on I'll be keeping my chain link tool with me on all my rides..

nick
 
Blogger Steve: I don't expect you'll need a new front drive - I didn't. BTW I was wondering whether to do it on my MTB this year as a challenge. Better check the mudguard situation. If it is wet it's pretty bad having it spraying you as well. At least water won't be a problem this year then!
 
Blogger nick: Well the new cassette is lovely, goes nicely with the new chain: both are sparkling new and make efficient noises.

However, at least two of the front cogs need replacing (middle and outer) - looking at it it's clear that there are some severely worn down teeth on there and the chain slips pretty badly when you push hard. I'm surprised I didn't have trouble before.

Anyway, I guess I won't be using it on Sunday - shiny new road bike for me!
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, what's a good time to turn up this evening? Don't want to interfere with your 'plans'.
 
Blogger Steve: How is everyone? My legs feel like they did something yesterday but are fine really. Looking forward to the next session. I may try the 15-mile TT Tuesday night so will rest tonight.

BTW I may have to buy that 10cc album Nick, it's pretty good.
 
Blogger nick: Feeling fine today, legs only slightly tired and I did notice a bit of soreness when I rode my MTB to the bike shop just now in order for them to fit a new chain ring (picking it up tomorrow).

re next week, here's something to start with as a plan:

Monday
Afternoon: cycling
Evening: Midsummer Night's Dream

Tuesday
Morning: Pitch & Putt
Afternoon: Cycling
Evening: Film/DVD whatever

Wednesday
AM: Cycle to Southampton
PM: Back to Basingstoke (cycle?/train?)
 
Blogger Steve: I can see your drive train being placed on the wall of the shop as an example of how far some people let it go :)

Looks like road bikes then if we are doing that much riding. I'd better check with Matt that he is okay with it. Of course the weather may have some effect on this.

BTW have you got any wood to chop while I'm down there? Get it nicely weathered for when winter comes around.
 
Blogger nick: Well that's only a starting suggestion, I don't mind if anyone has other ideas to throw in.

No, don't have any wood at the moment, but maybe I should order some.
 
Blogger nick: Front chainset replaced, and they let me keep the old one for spares. Bits
of it do seem to be a bit worn though..

See picture.
 
Blogger Steve: Funny how some teeth are a lot worse than others - to do with the profiling of them apparently as some are shaped to help shifting. I was speaking to someone who cleans their chain by unlinking it and putting it in a coke bottle with petrol (cheaper than degreaser). He says if you use a magnet you get tiny metal pieces in the sludge.
 
Blogger Tim: Well, my legs were hurting Monday morning, but by the afternoon they were OK. Could have been worse.
 
Blogger nick: ok if people are up for the shakespeare, I need numbers and date options (Tim said he might be able to make it?) so I can book.

ETA for my Dell is currently showing as 24-July, i.e. next Tuesday, which may be handy or may be awkward. Try this link.
 
Blogger Steve: Well done for the organisation Nick - it will be just Matt & me for the duration of Monday lunch to mid-Wednesday afternoon if that's okay. Paul will stay at home as the attracion of Kimberlee is higher than that of Nick. Hard to believe I know.

15-mile TT last night and it was pretty windy (get the excuses in). I did 42:00 and Paul did 39:30 I think. I rode pretty well as hard as I could for the duration but could've saved a bit of time on the roundabouts I think as one of them you go straight over 4 times. Legs a bit shot today but I slept okay (usually feel uncomfortable after a session and wake up a lot).
 
Blogger Steve: Sorry, forgot to mention - pls book us both for the Shakespeare, it'll be a nice surprise for Matt!

BTW still playing the 10cc, am I going to have to buy all of my Mum & Dad's albums at this rate?
 
Blogger Tim: A few things...

This weeks' restrictions at work mean that I can't see blogspot during the day. I'll check it evenings, of course.

Steve, eventually I realised I wrote Deborah's cheque out for the wrong amount, duffer. More (or replacement) next week.

I'm thinking I won't make Monday evening, happy to do Shaky on the Tuesday if appropriate, whatever works out best for you lot.
 
Blogger nick: ok I'll see about booking the shakespeare for either mon or tue depending on availability - if tue then I'll book for Tim as well.

Steve, if you are that keen on 10cc, they're playing (well, one of the original members is) in Basingstoke in November I think. Bring your parents!

Also, if you want to get anything from foska.com, you can get 10% off by entering TDF07 at the checkout (until 29 July). Still seems a bit expensive to me though - 40 quid for a top!

nick
 
Blogger nick: we're on the gazette website (very small pic though!)
 
Blogger Steve: Not sure about seeing 10CC or 2.5CC really and I bet my Dad will say that he's not into them any more. Don't forget Original Soundtrack is also good. Pretty useless sleeve notes - an article about the bandbut no lyrics to ponder. And the extra track isn't up to much.

I still can't work out why it's us on there out of 1000 cyclists! BTW Paul did 40 miles last night! In a tiny amount over 2 hours and it's a hilly course.
 
Blogger nick: We are on the front page of the gazette and also page 4. I'll save a copy for you.

Shakespeare booked for me, steve, matt on Monday evening.
 
Blogger Tim: OK. I should be getting there late Tuesday morning/lunchtime. Wouldn't mind a bit of P & P in the afternoon. Can either invite myself to kip on the sofa or would bring the car (Tue only) so can get back easily enough. Either way, Wednesday is cycling to Woolston. Right?

Sounds good to me.
 
Blogger Tim: Lads, could do with a tip on whether to drive up and back Tuesday or not.

Driving means I get to Nick's a bit sooner without needing to be picked up. 11:30? But then I'll need to be off again in the evening to get rid of the car and will be back on the train somewhere next morning?

Or, well...vice versa. Need picking up Tuesday lunchtime, kip on a sofa, but no hassle Wednesday am.
 
Blogger nick: hi tim

probably best if you could train up and sleep over on Tuesday night. Means I have to clean the bedroom out but at least we'll have early start for Wednesday. Have you got the route sorted?

We're just off in to town to spend Matthew's HMV vouchers, see you later

nick
 
Blogger Tim: OK, ETA 12 noon, I'll text you when I'm on the train to Basy.

As for the route, what sort of bikes will you boys be on?
 
Blogger nick: Hi Tim

the boys have brought their mountain bikes. You can use either yours or the 2nd hand road bike. I'll be on whichever is most suitable.

May be best not to do too much off-road: we just were out and the ground is quite muddy..

nick
 
Blogger Tim: OK. It's CX for me, so I can get it home!

You pick us a route to Alresford (or we just do Axford/Candovers), and I'll do the rest of the way, OK? Mostly onroad.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger