Wednesday, March 28, 2007
 
Steve:  Rush
More for Nick this announcement:

One Rush site says tickets available for UK 9am Sat 31st March. Shall I get you one? Dates and details are HERE

Comments:
Blogger Steve: Comment so Nick gets an email on the Rush topic.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, thanks for posting. Yes I'd definitely be up for going to that.

If you're getting tickets, please get one for me.

thanks
 
Blogger Tim: I might be tempted too if it was a bit cheaper and a different time of year (usually on holiday then). And a different venue.
 
Blogger nick: ...and a different band?

come on tim, might be the last chance you ever get: it's only one night and I know what a big rush fan you are (how many times did you see them in the 80s?)
 
Blogger Steve: Very funny Tim, and a different group I assume. You have probably seen them more times than the rest of us put together.

Yesterday after school, Paul did 20 miles on road and Matt did 10 miles off-road. I plan to do the 10 off-road tonight having finished at 4:30pm (miracles do happen apparently).
 
Blogger Tim: It's actually the date thing that's trickiest. Tina's birthday on the 10th is part of the reason we're usually out of the country. Possibly we won't this year, but it's far too early to know.
 
Blogger nick: perfect birthday present!
 
Blogger nick: when was it that we saw Rush at Hammersmith? Cost of tickets this time is £39/45. So it is now costing 80-100 Mars bars (assuming mars cost 45p); in 1981 assuming ticket cost of £12, cost would have been not a lot different.

See mars bar price index.
 
Blogger Steve: Good I'm glad you said that. So even £10 CDs are pretty cheap compared to 20 years ago when they first came out. I still like the £5 ones though :) I'm going through a phase of not having anything I want to listen to which is very annoying.
 
Blogger Tim: You're right there, I don't think I'm keeping up with inflation.

In itself, I don't think £39/£45 would prevent me from going, but it does still seem a bit steep. However, I wouldn't have much trouble shelling that out for a football match (an international, say), possibly because I never went to any for £6.50 when I was a teenager. Also, even rubbish Southampton matches are about £25.

Sorry to hear about your listening predicament, Steve. AFAIK there's not much you can do about it except maybe try a few things on the offchance, and wait...
 
Blogger Steve: I still will only believe it when I see them in my hand but I got front middle block, row 17 at Wenbley Arena!
 
Blogger nick: "wenbley"? oh dear.... ;-)

thanks for sorting out tickets steve, let me know what I owe you and I can send you a cheque. I'm off on holiday for a week, leaving tonight, but can get it in the post this evening I expect.

Any interest in Bo Diddley then? Also I think you mentioned IoW ride on 4/5/6 May - that's when Ranadee is so count me in for that one

nick
 
Blogger Tim: "Ranadee"? Oh dear.

55km sounds fine, 100km is a bit daunting. Where's the 80km option??
 
Blogger Tim: Er, did we already know about the South Downs randonnee, too?

http://www.randonnee.org.uk/
 
Blogger Steve: Okay I had a nice evening of loud Flower Kings last night so didn't waste the home-alone session. Heard new stuff (new amp) on one album which was nice. So allis not lost on the music front - Romantic Warrior in the walkman today. Went for a 6 mile run as well so am a bit tired today.

I'd love to do the whole South Downs 100 miles in a day but I imagine it's a killer. Actually the guy has made a nice readable write-up of the history of the event and a few key people have died but not on the actual route.

Talking to Faye here (just joined) at work who used to work for Microsoft in marketing, Vista has been a complete flop. Yes it's on all new machines but no-one is actually buying it. Good to hear.

Also we now have 25 days holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has cheered me up a bit to be honest.
 
Blogger Steve: Just got a Sony Ericsson W880i as my work phone and for someone who is not into phone technology I am knocked out by it. 1GB memory (upgradable by memory stick) - the most lovely-looking thing I've seen and sound quality is fine - some noise at very low levels but for a portable fine. I need to get a case as it must not be marked in any way but as it's so new you can't buy them yet.

The novelty will wear off I know but MP3 will allow me to easily try stuff from other people here that was too much faff before. Will let you know new number as I'm keeping the other one for PAYG cycling etc.
 
Blogger Tim: What's going on? New colleagues, more leave, new phone... have you got a new job or something?

Anyway, v nice. What colour?! And, are you using SonicStage or is there some other handy software?

There are cases at Amazon... or, replacement fascias (keep the old one in your desk) if you don't really want to use a case.
 
Blogger Steve: Went for silver although black looked nice. Just ripping through Windows media player and copying onto it as a memory stick drive letter. Avoiding installation of bloatware whenever possible. Ordered a cheap clear case from eBay for £3 so will see what happens. BTW that Norman Feller album you put Paul onto Tim is good - another MP3 test for me.
 
Blogger Tim: Yes, I played the Norman Feller a couple of days ago, as it happens. Definite winner. No idea if his other stuff is any good (e.g. aka "Nor Elle") - maybe there are some MP3s you'll have to try out for us.
 
Blogger Steve: I got a shock in HMV today - several Genesis 2007 remasters with one disk as audio CD/SACD and the other a DVD - Duke seems to have the Lyceum 1980 on it, now to investigate... They were £15 in HMV which is pretty good for the package.
 
Blogger nick: Good tip on the Genesis remasters, Steve, I've ordered "Duke" and "Trick of the Tail" from Amazon. That'll make it the third time I've bought those CDs, but I think they're worth it. TotT has footage of concerts with Bruford, according to Amazon.

Sounds like the Bachinis might be coming to Hampshire on 4/5/6 May? Tim are you around too? I get profit share this month so maybe after I've handed my essays in (due next week and the week after) I'll treat myself to a road bike, in time for the IoW trip. Can't wait.

Did plenty of reading on holiday but not much else. We didn't see much of Tenerife outside the hotel complex: wouldn't have minded going up the volcano but the kids weren't too bothered. Quite hot there. Hope everyone's well

nick
 
Blogger nick: just noticed that David Nobbs has got his own web page. I've read "Cupid's Dart", his most recent book, and it was pretty good, about a philosophy professor who has an affair with a young girl. IIRC one of his daughters studied philosophy.

Maybe I should tell him about my putative dissertation "Truth and Tragedy in the fiction of David Nobbs", I've not yet decided whether to do that or one about music.
 
Blogger Tim: Aha, I thought you must be back Nick because the postcard arrived this morning, cheers. We did go to Playa Paraiso once when we were there but think we ended up at the wrong Playa because it wasn't very Paraiso at all.

Yes, I've got the 4/5/6 pencilled in, especially the Randonnee of course. Must get me bike out of the garage again before then.
 
Blogger Steve: The weekend mentioned has a few things for Deborah so it wouldn't be all of us. I can't make my mind up whether to do the round IoW just us or with the hoards, i.e. a day early? Went on the road bike yesterday - awesome every time I change gear. Ordered THREE Genesis albums, Trick/Wind/Duke! HMV are cheaper than Amazon but I get depressed that they post every item separately.
 
Blogger Steve: Well 65 Days was good - the boys enjoyed it. My heart sank when I saw the timetable - main band on at 9:50 with 2 supports. In fact we really enjoyed the 2 other bands and the time went really quickly. Matt was impressed when the main drummer broke a stick 30 seconds in to the set!

BTW D is away the next 2 weekends so I'm open to visits :) Probably have some football lift/watching Sunday afternoons - that's all.
 
Blogger nick: Steve, I was busy this weekend and next Sunday have to be at my aunt's house for reading of my grandma's will. But I think I could be free Saturday, is it worth coming to Luton? I am also considering getting a new bike, maybe you could help me choose one.

Quite a long article in today's observer about 70's synth music. Sounds like he talked to quite a few people, quotes from Schulze, Froese and Hillage included.

I handed one essay in last Friday, another one still to do for this Friday. The "art" one was especially hard: I made notes for what I wanted to say and thought I'd have no trouble, but found that I couldn't fit everything in to 3000 words, and by the time I realised I couldn't really change my approach so ended up having to chop loads out, not sure it'll get a very good mark.
The next one is all about Daniel Dennett. Is he right? (maybe tim can say, he's read some of Dennett's books).


nick
 
Blogger Tim: *Possibly* I could tag along Saturday too, so keep me posted about any arrangements or suchlike.

Dennett, is he right - when he says what? Is there some central Dennettism he's known for?

I recently finished 2 books by David Mitchell (no, the Cloud Atlas one). Ghostwritten was 9 assorted stories from around the world, all intertwined. Bloody complicated, have to read it again some time. Black Swan Green is about being a 13-year-old boy; not bad, but more Nick's sort of thing I spose.
 
Blogger nick: I know how interested you are...

"If attributing a particular set of beliefs to Tom Cruise provides the
best explanation of his behaviour, and allows us to predict it
accurately, could it nevertheless be wrong? Discuss with reference to
Davidson or Dennett."

The relevant bit of Dennett is his idea of the "intentional stance":
we can make predictions and explanations of the way Cruise behaves
by adopting the intentional stance: ascribing to him various beliefs
and desires etc.. This isn't to say such things as beliefs
really exist (or, no more so than "the equator" really exists),
but rather that adopting this position allows us to come up with
explanations reasonably quickly and reliably.

Another way of explaining his behaviour, for example, would be to
adopt a "physical stance": theoretically at least we might think that
if we could describe the position of every subatomic particle in his
brain, and also know how particles interact, and also know what things
are going on in the world that might make changes in his brain (e.g.
sound waves entering his ears and making the eardrums move which causes
electrical activity which....). Adopting a "physical stance" might
also allow us to explain and predict Cruise's behaviour (and maybe would
be more accurate than the intentional stance).

But the physical stance sounds like it is going to be an awful lot more
difficult to use than the intentional stance, so it looks like the IS has
something going for it.

So what's wrong with the idea of the intentional stance?
 
Blogger Tim: Right, the intentional stance, yes I suppose I should have guessed.

It's not very reductionist is it? Still seems fine to me, I confess.

Can't think who Davidson is off the top of my head, I remember Skinner being a target a lot, and I found that attack fairly convincing.
 
Blogger Tim: I posted another comment, where's it gone? I must have knackered it up.

What's the outlook for 4/5/6 May?

If we're not doing anything on the 6th, I'll go to the Saints game (last one of the season).

But if we are, fine.

And ,do I need to take the 4th off?
 
Blogger Tim: Lads.

This Saturday.
And 4/5/6.

Any hints, at all?...
 
Blogger nick: not sure about saturday yet, waiting to hear from Steve, maybe he's away, I will give him a call tonight unless I hear.

Next weekend, I'm available all of it, don't mind when we do the Randydandy, but if I'm getting a new bike maybe that would affect things one way or another

nick
 
Blogger Tim: OK, that's a start, cheers.

For 4/5/6, are there some general arrangements already? e.g. who are you expecting and when?
 
Blogger nick: 4/5/6 I only know from something Steve said (on here) that Deborah might not be coming. Not sure who else is, or when.
 
Blogger Tim: Right, that's all sorted then, thanks.

I'll have another look back here tomorrow on the offchance.
 
Blogger nick: Just come off the phone with Steve.

Plan for this weekend is that I'll be there on Saturday, coming back Saturday night. Steve is happy for us to arrive Friday evening or Saturday morning, so if you want to come Tim then I'll let you decide: I can give you a lift from Basingstoke to Luton and back fwiw.

For the following weekend, Steve's planning on coming to Basingstoke on the Saturday, with a view to doing the Randonnee on the Sunday.

How's that all sound?

nick
 
Blogger Steve: Yes sorry for the delay in replying - work has been manic and I don't tend to look in the evenings. And it had been pretty quiet for a few weeks.

MK has a big selection of road bikes to try at Evans but Nick wants at least Shimano 105 shifters (like mine) so it cuts it down (and raises the price bracket). There is too much choice with everything these days so this is the only way to go. Nick you need a new CD player as well!
 
Blogger Steve: At the risk of us looking like twins, there may be the odd one left HERE
Free delivery! 56/58 size - 56 might be better for you.
 
Blogger nick: ooohh, that's quite tempting, but it does mean that it would come not assembled, and I would not want to build it myself (not as brave as Tim). I'll have to think about that
 
Blogger Tim: OK, well done boys. Saturday is looking good, and Friday night might be a good option - what sort of time would fit in with you, Nick? At Bstoke station. I'll be aiming to get back to Soton mid Saturday evening but I can train it of course if necessary.

The following weekend - now that there's something lined up I can cock it up. I've now got a ticket to the match on Sunday, and I came to the conclusion that the Roundynoo is too scary anyway. How about a more moderate route in Hampshire on Saturday, and attempt a longer IOW thing next time round? Yeah, typical. What do you reckon?

Was the other old Felt at Evans a goer, or not?
 
Blogger Tim: Or, a couple of moderate rides, 5th pm and 6th am?
 
Blogger nick: well... we did discuss perhaps doing the IoW on the Saturday instead of the Sunday, so maybe that would be a possibility, but I think we are reasonably keen to do the Randonnee which would mean Sunday is allocated. Not sure what Steve's constraints are wrt Saturday though, so maybe we could do something then as well?
 
Blogger Tim: I do fancy it, in theory, but pretty sure it'd be a bad idea for me to attempt it. Next year though, of course.

But I wouldn't want to hold you back...
 
Blogger Steve: Right, what to make of this then? I can probably make it for some of Saturday and some of Sunday - I had got Paul on board for the IoW and maybe even Matt with a practice on a road bike. Paul works Sat so we would've come down evening time.

As I said I can probably do the Sat/Sun thing.
 
Blogger Tim: OK, well, apologies for bottling out. Like I say, don't let me hold you back if you're all geared up for it.

Trouble is, I just haven't got in the habit of going out on the bike, and I don't think that if I fitted in a couple of quick trips that'll prepare me for 100k.
 
Blogger Steve: THIS bloke Tobin Amon sounds pretty good and weird from the samples. I'm wondering if I've heard of him Tim?
 
Blogger Tim: No you haven't, but you've probably heard of Amon Tobin. So have I, but I think that's as far as it goes?
 
Blogger nick: I'm not sure I believe this report can be right: there must be some spin on it. But it is quite funny. See how well you think you can answer the first test, before looking at the second.

Mathematicians set Chinese test

nick
 
Blogger Steve: I got the Big Chill brochure through yesterday. I'm not saying to do it this year but it might be like a nicer version of Glastonbury - i.e. get festival-fever out of my system without there being a load of awful bands to see. This year I see Biosphere on the list but it could be someone else with the same name I suppose. It really hangs on whether the music would be any good doesn't it? Although it seems to be a general art/video/music experience.

So when do I expect you this weekend?
 
Blogger nick: Well it looks like Friday evening might be awkward for me... my car has been in for repair and although it was meant to be back today they've said it won't be ready until tomorrow, which might mean I have to pick it up Saturday morning (I have a courtesy car of theirs which is insured for a limited time). So if poss I will aim for tomorrow night but can't guarantee it at the moment.

Tim, what times could you be here on Saturday morning? I think the car place opens around 8, so could plan on leaving here just after then in order to get to Luton just after 9 for breakfast, not sure if that would suit you though.

And if you were coming on the train on Friday, what time would you expect to get to Basingstoke?

nick
 
Blogger Tim: 1) I'll have a go at the test, haven't looked at the English one yet. What does "foot of perpendicular is E" mean?

2) Biosphere at Big Chill sounds right, rings a bell. Will have a shufti at your brochure...

3) Friday would be pretty much any time you like, Saturday morning: how about 8:46?..
 
Blogger Tim: BTW where is the car?
 
Blogger nick: car is at a garage in basingstoke; I have a courtesy car in the meantime. so i'll be dropping that off and picking up my car. It may be that I can do this tomorrow evening but I won't know until I hear from them tomorrow. I think 8.46 on Sat am would be ok, would mean getting to Luton around 10, how would that sound, Steve?
 
Blogger Steve: 10am Luton is fine - I appreciate you coming. More possibility of avoiding the raised flower bed construction.

Weather forecast is excellent (23 sunny) if bikes are in order. BTW the second maths was easy but the first!!!
 
Blogger nick: OK let's go for Sat am then. And I'll be at the station to get Tim from the train that gets in at 8.46, in one car or another.
 
Blogger Tim: Right you are.

Any idea when you're coming back? (Just trying to gauge whether I'm likely to cadge another lift or train it.)
 
Blogger nick: No idea when I'm coming back. When Steve gets fed up?

finished the second essay last night at 3am, then up at 7 this morning in order to drive to Reading and hand it in. Now feeling a bit zonked, so maybe it's for the best that I'm not driving to Luton tonight...
 
Blogger Tim: At least you didn't leave it until the last minute.

Steve, is there by any chance a bike I can borrow then? Preferably not a tandem.
 
Blogger Steve: Of course we have a selection of bikes to hand. We have 4 road bikes (Paul's old one has a puncture but a simple job). We have 3 off-road bikes (Paul's front fork doesn't move very much.)

So Nick if you bring your MTB or road bike we are easily sorted - might be able to tempt Matt out. I have a handy 20-mile off-road route (Nick has done it). On-road I can improvise.
 
Blogger Steve: Nick's gone quiet on the bike front, maybe a banana-yellow one will be sitting in the back of his car tomorrow.

BTW the remasters are very very good, Duke not as noticeable due to the general wash of synths but the vocals and instruments on the other 2 are beautiful. The free concert video featuring Bruford is fantastic - noticeably different versions of things.
 
Blogger nick: I was just thinking what I could use for cushioning in the boot if I bring my MTB to Luton and end up taking a new bike back as well.
 
Blogger Steve: Well Tim's legs of course.
 
Blogger nick: Called the Kingston shop yesterday, asking to order a 54" F65. They said "they've all gone". I said "the guy in MK said yesterday that there was one in Glasgow, and one(I think?) in the warehouse in Gatwick. Also the web site shows "in stock". He said "sorry, the website is quite often wrong, I've checked and there are none".

Last night (and this am) the website still shows the bike as available, so I ordered one using the online system. It seemed happy with that and I think has debited the card.

So I guess some time this week I'll get a phone call saying they're REALLY all gone and my card will be refunded, but I thought it was worth a try.

If no F65, then maybe I'll have to do more test rides...
 
Blogger nick: well, looks like i'm in luck. They sent me a mail asking me to fax in proof of address. I queried this, and they said:

We will still require the proof of address.
The reason for this is because Datacash (our payment provider) will not allow us to take the funds for the order until we can confirm the order, and we cannot send the order out without taking the money for it.
If you can sent the information in tomorrow that is fine. You order has been allocated, so there is no chance of your items being given to someone else.
We will still require the proof of address.
The reason for this is because Datacash (our payment provider) will not allow us to take the funds for the order until we can confirm the order, and we cannot send the order out without taking the money for it.
If you can sent the information in tomorrow that is fine. You order has been allocated, so there is no chance of your items being given to someone else.
 
Blogger Steve: Sounds promising. How many people have faxes! I suppose you can scan a bill and email it but some places insist on fax.
 
Blogger Steve: Any news then?? BTW Paul is exited about Sunday, hopefully get Matt to have a go tonight on my bike. Another programmer leaving here now, what fun.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger