Saturday, October 28, 2006
 
Steve:  Weirdness
Looking around the Net and especially the Brand X official site, I saw that hero Pierre Moerlen died last year aged just 53. Great shame that. I also see that Dean de Benedictis is mentioned as being a recent/current member (he's Mr Surface 10 Nick - nevermind). They plan to do another album but are having 'corporate bootlegging' problems as of 12th September apparently. Percy Jones is not with them however.

Comments:
Blogger Tim: Poor old PM, he looked fine last time I saw him.

As for DdeB there's some stuff on In Vitro Tide that reminded me of Brand X, well I never.

I had a funny turn, and tried ordering the two KS Live at Klangart CDs from CDServices. And to make it worse, also ordered Box 5 of Utimate Edition (approximately 5 CDs from Jubilee Edition and 5 "new" discs). I've got most of these on MD somewhere, but can't be bothered to dig them out. I'm hoping that on CD I'll give them a proper listen. You never know.
 
Blogger nick: oh, that's surprisingly upsetting. :-(

I'll listen to "Time is the Key" tonight.
 
Blogger Steve: Good idea on the paying homage to Pierre, Nick, I'll have a go as well. Tim, I'm surprised you are getting more KS, when do you get the time for all this?
Rode twice this weekend and my back wheel is out of true so I need to get that done now! I think this is fairly typical of new wheels as you give them a lot more stresses and strains than the robot that builds them. Either that or I'm too lardy...
 
Blogger Tim: I'm surprised too, to be honest. There are a few bits I fancy hearing, is the only justification.

Incidentally, I see that the beautifully-titled Drums 'n' Balls is due to be reissued. Didn't you rate that one?
 
Blogger Tim: How exciting would this have been 25 years ago??
 
Blogger nick: had an email from amazon today, a "based on your previous purchases, you might be interested in.." one.

It was formatted a bit strangely in my email reader, which meant when I first looked at it I thought one of its suggestions was "Wittgenstein, Live in Leeds"
 
Blogger Tim: Wittgenstein: "HELLO LEEDS!!!! THANK YOU FOR COMING!"
 
Blogger Tim: Great KS news. CDServices list stuff for sale on their site that they haven't got in stock and has been unavailable for years. So I'm off the hook.

Maybe I'll even try to dig out the MDs.
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, I can't see the wiki - I'm out tonight but should make 8am Sat for a bit of CC. OK?
 
Blogger nick: my router is losing its connection lately, I think it might be to do with the 8MB upgrade: they said there would be a bit of disruption. Yes should be ok for CC tomorrow at 8e
 
Blogger nick: found an old song on youtube.

One of the comments was good:

I watch this every day at work to remind myself that once upon a time I had my whole life ahead of me and Sailor provided the sound track. They still provide the sound track, but sadly I don't have the youth and hope I once had to go with it!
 
Blogger Steve: Yes I am still here.

Oh dear, actually I don't ever remember looking ahead to a great load of stuff so I have no similar disappointment.

Absolutely nothing else to report apart from finding George Bush's reaction to the election defeat choice. Today's CD is OK Computer after a coupl eof days of Pierre Moerlen. No sign of the sale electronic CDs yet but if it's surface mail then who knows...
 
Blogger Tim: Damn, I forgot to look at that last night, and I can't get at it from work. I'm assuming it's something I'll know? Or maybe I won't admit to it.

On the CD front, I haven't been too impressed with Septentrion so far, although it's not bad. Autonomic, on the other hand is a definite winner. Also on the go is a thing Neil lent me, by Godspeed You Black Emperor, quite a good post-rock racket.

And in books, we have Churchill's The Second World War. I'm about 200 pages into volume one and we're up to 1938 :-) Pretty interesting though, and all a complete shambles, according to Winnie.

Any prospects for anything happening the rest of this year? I'm due to line up a flexi-day soon, it'll just be a bog-standard day off unless anybody else is about?
 
Blogger Steve: Don't get too excited about the clip!

I suppose you have more RMI than I do so it may not have the novelty factor. Yes Autonomic is goos although the live one you also have is maybe better?

I gave up with Martha Quest on book 3. I didnlt mind when it was about her but pages of waffle about other characters at political meeting in South Africa is not for me. Currently on The Shining which is okay so far. What was that Speer book you mentioned ages ago Tim?

Actually I did forget something - we moved office last weekend which went well and I 'only' worked the Saturday. A bit stressfull trying to deal with 8 eBayers picking up their desks while it was all going on. Actually in the old office today as we have no phones in the new one - delay on BT installation. New address is:

Aldersgate House
135-137 Aldersgate St
EC1A 4JA

Directly above Barbican station but not once have I managed to get a train that stops there for a direct route, what with delays and points failures etc etc.

I fancy a Friday PM CD shopping and maybe you can stay the night Tim? I need to get an assorted handful for the lads for Christmas at some point.
 
Blogger Tim: That sounds like a plan; post a list of suitable Fridays.

"Inside the Third Reich" - I can extract it from the garage if you like.

Septentrional (that's better) doesn't seem bad, but I'm surprised how drifty a lot of it still is despite vicious editing. I'll keep at it.
 
Blogger Steve: Went 20 miles off-road today despite the mud. Hmm it's much tougher than on-road but worth it for the stonking descents and glorious amber beech leaves.

How about the 1st/8th/15th of December for a shopping spree?

Actually Saturday the 2nd Luton Symphony are playing at the Baptist church again:

Rossini's William Tell Overture, Saint Saens' Cello Concert No 1 in A Minor, Opus 33 (with soloist David Foster) and Beethoven's Symphony No 5 in C Minor, Opus 67.
 
Blogger Tim: How about if we say 1st December? Then if there's any cockup we might still have an opportunity to reschedule.

I'm not tempted to stay on for the concert though.

Nick, any interest?
 
Blogger nick: Believe it or not I think I'm busy then: my brother is coming to stay. And on the Sat/Sun I'm meant to be going to Exeter for the weekend. I think I ought not to arrange anything else...
 
Blogger Tim: 8th or 15th?
 
Blogger Tim: Nick, you probably saw the Bad Science guy in the Guardian got his Freedom of Information request turned down by durham Council on grounds of scale, so he asked readers to submit requests, each for a bit of what he's after?

About twenty-eight have gone in so far, judging by http://www.badscience.net/?p=321. All good fun.
 
Blogger Steve: Batch of CDs arrived from that closing down sale. Not all in there but looks like the package can only take 4 at a time. (One in there for you Nick - bet you can't wait.) One of them is Cyborg - *I* can't wait to hear that one, nice digipack with NO extra tracks.
 
Blogger Tim: What's Nick got then, or is it a surprise?
 
Blogger Steve: Well it's to pay a debt - he said "Buy me an album". Hmm I thought, what to get - it's In Vitro Tide. I listened again today in a quiet office on earphones - there is so much greate stuff going on that I emailed Dean to tell him how good it is.
 
Blogger Tim: Nick will be thrilled.

BTW, I've booked 1st Dec as leave (can always cancel) but definitely wouldn't be able to make the 15th.

8th is still OK, and you never know Nick might fancy tootling about that day depending on what other birthdayish fun he's got lined up...?
 
Blogger nick: I'm pretty sure I'm busy on 1st and 8th, sorry.

Looking forward to my CD, even though I know the name of it it'll be a surprise because I don't have a clue what it is. I've been listening to quite a lot of Yes lately, surprising how good it still is. A bit distracting at work though - at the end of a track I feel like taking my headphones off and saying "Wow!".

As I mentioned to Tim, there's a production on next year at English National Opera that we really ought to see. So long as it's not the one with the bloke shovelling hay.
 
Blogger Tim: That wasn't a shovel. Don't you know your ancient Egyptian tools??
 
Blogger Steve: What are 'english surtitles'? Oh it's okay, Wikipedia tells all. What the heckis going on with all of these busy weekends, I thought I was the holdup!
 
Blogger Steve: I thought this video of some consequences of driving into a pedestrianised part of Manchester funny, courtesy of CTC. Scroll down for the clip.
 
Blogger nick: ooof! good one. serves 'em right.
 
Blogger Tim: My, how that made me smirk.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger