Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Tim: New post same subject
OK, as I was mentioning to Nick last night, I can use the car (and avoid trains/buses/trams/rickshaws) as long as I can skive off mid-afternoon on Saturday.
So what I'm thinking is: turn up at NW maybe 8pm Friday for a bit of Naqoyqatsi and bad music. Up with the lark for a nice ride in the rain. Bit of lunch maybe, then head off say at 2:30, something like that.
Is that any good? I can have a rethink if that's not going to work.
Actually, lunch may not be so necessary, I can bring some sort of tucker that we can have en-route. Good plan? Or nowhere to stash it?
Comments:
<< Home
Steve: I'm thinking of 'donating' Friday afternoon to the cause, when could you get home by Nick? I'm stupidly thinking I could beat the M25 weekend jam. I wouldn't be setting off before say 2:30 as I have to get home first.
nick: Hmm not sure I can get away very early on Friday, I have something I need to get finished. So I could be home by 6 but maybe not much earlier (there's likely to be someone around though).
On Saturday, if the constraint with Tim is to do with the car, then maybe it would be easier if we drive to Tim's, if we can take 3 bikes on Steve's car. I think trains are going between Netley and Winchester, so depending on what we're doing, we don't have to drive far (Winchester is only 10 miles or so from my house).
Need to decide what exactly the itinerary is I suppose. Steve, when are you planning on going back to Luton (no hidden agenda, just I don't know)?
On Saturday, if the constraint with Tim is to do with the car, then maybe it would be easier if we drive to Tim's, if we can take 3 bikes on Steve's car. I think trains are going between Netley and Winchester, so depending on what we're doing, we don't have to drive far (Winchester is only 10 miles or so from my house).
Need to decide what exactly the itinerary is I suppose. Steve, when are you planning on going back to Luton (no hidden agenda, just I don't know)?
Tim: Hmmm, you're worrying me now. How long are we expecting to be riding, roughly? All of Saturday morning not long enough?
Or is it the Friday evening thing that doesn't fit in so well?
Or maybe I'm just not keeping up.
Or is it the Friday evening thing that doesn't fit in so well?
Or maybe I'm just not keeping up.
Steve: Nick I didn't expect you to get home especially early, it's just that if I come down Friday I need to set off early or late. Late means getting to yours at 9pm earliest.
I have allocated the whole weekend to be down there so can come back as late as Sunday (late) afternoon). Maybe the Friday night is looking dodgy and we meet up with Tim again on Sunday - Tim we don't know your full availability. Nick do you have church Sunday AM?
As for riding time, I guess all of Saturday AM is long enough with an early start (dependent on when I come down).
I have allocated the whole weekend to be down there so can come back as late as Sunday (late) afternoon). Maybe the Friday night is looking dodgy and we meet up with Tim again on Sunday - Tim we don't know your full availability. Nick do you have church Sunday AM?
As for riding time, I guess all of Saturday AM is long enough with an early start (dependent on when I come down).
nick: Well, I think the original idea was to cycle from North Waltham to Netley (or back), and I'm still pretty keen to do that. I am guessing that would take 3-4 hours (at a reasonably leisurely pace) - about the same amount of time as it took to get the flipping map done.
How about this. I'll call it suggestion "1" so feel free to refer to it as such, or make other suggestions
1. Tim gets to North Waltham in time for Saturday morning (either come Friday night to Basingstoke, or Sat AM to Winchester, we can get to either station to collect). Then on Sat we all cycle to Netley, and after a suitable recovery period, Steve & I get the train back to Winchester (with a bike each) and cycle back to my house from there (it is about 16 miles by road). My old bike will be left at Tim's but I can come and collect next week (I don't mind it being left in the garden with a sign on saying "please help yourself" in the meantime).
How about this. I'll call it suggestion "1" so feel free to refer to it as such, or make other suggestions
1. Tim gets to North Waltham in time for Saturday morning (either come Friday night to Basingstoke, or Sat AM to Winchester, we can get to either station to collect). Then on Sat we all cycle to Netley, and after a suitable recovery period, Steve & I get the train back to Winchester (with a bike each) and cycle back to my house from there (it is about 16 miles by road). My old bike will be left at Tim's but I can come and collect next week (I don't mind it being left in the garden with a sign on saying "please help yourself" in the meantime).
Tim: Well, if it's the effort expended on the map that you want to recoup, then we can all do the NW to Netley, break, to Botley, train to Winchester, bike to NW, can't we?
I suppose the catch is that you get the rusty bike back, is *that* what your looking to avoid?
I suppose the catch is that you get the rusty bike back, is *that* what your looking to avoid?
Steve: I can't fault the plan. We could even pop down to see Tim on the Sunday and pick the bike up as part of that.
Tim: Here's another suggestion. I'll call it suggestion 6. It's based on a bit of guesswork that what Nick wants to do is a bit of cycling away from his neck of the woods.
6. Get all the bikes in a car (or two) and drive to somewhere on your route that you don't usually get to. Itchen Abbas, for example. Ride from there to Netley. Break. Ride back (same or different route).
6. Get all the bikes in a car (or two) and drive to somewhere on your route that you don't usually get to. Itchen Abbas, for example. Ride from there to Netley. Break. Ride back (same or different route).
Steve: Yep, In Vitro is pretty stunning, probably the best DiN I've found. His other album I got the other day is not as good but is still worth having.
So is anything happening on the Sunday?
So is anything happening on the Sunday?
Tim: Sunday will be chores, mostly. I might be able to rustle up some availability in the morning though...
Steve: Right down to Tim's Sunday morning. Bike ride: who knows. I've still to decide on when I come to you Nick, maybe aim to get there for 9-9:30 Friday night and keep the half-day?
nick: Steve,
yes I reckon you might as well come a bit later on Friday and save your half day. It's a while since I've done M25 on Friday night so I've no idea how bad it is, although M3 doesn't seem a problem when I go home on Friday at around 6
nick
yes I reckon you might as well come a bit later on Friday and save your half day. It's a while since I've done M25 on Friday night so I've no idea how bad it is, although M3 doesn't seem a problem when I go home on Friday at around 6
nick
Steve: Right, we should all provide our own packed lunch for Saturday I reckon to prevent one person (Nick) having the burden. I can bring a rucksack. The weather forecast is not too great I see (hence Tim's rain comment I guess.)
Steve: Well for me yes :)
BTW I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and it was very good, cheers for that Nick, D's reading it now (maybe we do have stuff in common!). Now on Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland - I love his writing style.
BTW I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and it was very good, cheers for that Nick, D's reading it now (maybe we do have stuff in common!). Now on Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland - I love his writing style.
Steve: Whot no plan changes?
BTW I will eat before I set off tonight Nick, aim to leave Sunday afternoon (say 4pm).
Post a Comment
BTW I will eat before I set off tonight Nick, aim to leave Sunday afternoon (say 4pm).
<< Home

