Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Steve: VMWare Server
This is free download now but what I can't work out is how is it limited? It looks like you can hae virtual machines running. If so what would you get with one of their paid-for apps?
Comments:
<< Home
nick: I'm not I fully understand all the VMware stuff... What I run at work is VMware workstation (I think) which cost around £100 and lets me install any number of "guest" operating systems on my Linux box. At the moment I have a Windows XP system, a W2K system, and a couple of SuSE and Slackware systems.
Recently they made VMware "player" free. AFAICS this lets you run "guest" VMs which someone else has built. I.e. you can't start up a VM and install an OS of your choice, but you can boot pre-built VMs that someone else (e.g. me, with my VMware workstation) has created.
So I would guess that VMware server is a similar thing but targetted for server (i.e. non GUI?) environments.
I would thoroughly recommend VMware though. I have considered buying it for myself and using it at home. Being able to take a "snapshot" of a system at any time and then revert to it (e.g. if you installed something which you realised you didn't actually want) is dead handy. And I guess that VMware player would be a good way to try out Linux without having to repartition your disk etc. Tim, you could do this I think.
On another note, I've written to my MP (Sir George Young) about taxing carrier bags. Checking out the web, there are those in the industry (presumably the plastic bag industry) who have arguments against, and presumably campaign to prevent such a measure being introduced. But there's a good set of arguments at this website. I'll let you know what George says. Then once I've got him interested I'll tackle him on taxing airline fuel.
Recently they made VMware "player" free. AFAICS this lets you run "guest" VMs which someone else has built. I.e. you can't start up a VM and install an OS of your choice, but you can boot pre-built VMs that someone else (e.g. me, with my VMware workstation) has created.
So I would guess that VMware server is a similar thing but targetted for server (i.e. non GUI?) environments.
I would thoroughly recommend VMware though. I have considered buying it for myself and using it at home. Being able to take a "snapshot" of a system at any time and then revert to it (e.g. if you installed something which you realised you didn't actually want) is dead handy. And I guess that VMware player would be a good way to try out Linux without having to repartition your disk etc. Tim, you could do this I think.
On another note, I've written to my MP (Sir George Young) about taxing carrier bags. Checking out the web, there are those in the industry (presumably the plastic bag industry) who have arguments against, and presumably campaign to prevent such a measure being introduced. But there's a good set of arguments at this website. I'll let you know what George says. Then once I've got him interested I'll tackle him on taxing airline fuel.
Tim: Hello boys.
A bit late, I know, but btw that minidisc article was April Foolery.
Haven't thought of an excuse re bike ride yet.
A bit late, I know, but btw that minidisc article was April Foolery.
Haven't thought of an excuse re bike ride yet.
Tim: No, it's pretty poor April Foolery. It's not like there's controversial stuff in there and now you're thinking "damn, how did I get taken in by that?!?".
Also, just noticed from the URL of Nick's placcy bag link that it's the website of good old Julian Cope.
Also, just noticed from the URL of Nick's placcy bag link that it's the website of good old Julian Cope.
nick: Yes, I did see that it was an April Fool just after posting my comment. Took me in though.
I checked in the Sony shop today and they've not got any yet.
I checked in the Sony shop today and they've not got any yet.
nick: Just reading Wikipedia's entry on Incantations while listening to it, and I never knew this:
Essentially, the first few minutes of part 2 are backward. When this section is played in reverse, music very closely resembling one of the main themes from part 1 is heard.
I put it through audacity, and they're right! I guess everyone but me knew all along.
Essentially, the first few minutes of part 2 are backward. When this section is played in reverse, music very closely resembling one of the main themes from part 1 is heard.
I put it through audacity, and they're right! I guess everyone but me knew all along.
nick: Steve, I found a fair number of pages which refuse to acknowledge the presence of a telephone exchange near you, but I finally came across one that says you should be OK for 8MB ADSL
See DSL ZoneUK Broadband checker.
See DSL ZoneUK Broadband checker.
nick: Just had a reply (in the post) to my email to my MP. It says:
Thank you for the email, and I have today written to Margaret Beckett asking her to seriously consider that we should follow the example of the Irish Republic.
I will let you know how I get on and, as a member of Friends of the Earth, I applaud your interest in this important subject
I'm impressed. I'll definitely be voting Tory from now on.
Thank you for the email, and I have today written to Margaret Beckett asking her to seriously consider that we should follow the example of the Irish Republic.
I will let you know how I get on and, as a member of Friends of the Earth, I applaud your interest in this important subject
I'm impressed. I'll definitely be voting Tory from now on.
Steve: When I check Wanadoo they say I am at the highest speed. When I look to upgrade my package to get upto 8M (BroadbandPlus actually the same amount each month) there is a £20 fee for upgrading the line!
I ordered a(nother) album by Surface 10 - I have one from my growing DiN collection and it's my favourite so far. Found one on secondspin.com which works out at $13 all in. Bit of a gamble I suppose.
BTW Tim what started Nick off on the Incantations thread was me saying that HMV have the remastered HDCD version for a fiver. If they did a good job like TB then it's a winner (on sound quality at least).
I ordered a(nother) album by Surface 10 - I have one from my growing DiN collection and it's my favourite so far. Found one on secondspin.com which works out at $13 all in. Bit of a gamble I suppose.
BTW Tim what started Nick off on the Incantations thread was me saying that HMV have the remastered HDCD version for a fiver. If they did a good job like TB then it's a winner (on sound quality at least).
Tim: Yes, I saw it on display in a shop here the other day for a fiver (presumably the same version, I didn't know there was such a thing so I didn't check). What an album.
Post a Comment
<< Home

