Monday, September 12, 2005
 
Tim:  Authors
I've been doing a bit of snooping around to see if I can give any new authors a try. My target area is a bit tricky, I'm looking for stuff that's a bit adventurous, but still readable and intelligible.

A few possible names so far are:
Mikhail Bulgakov
Jim Crace
Coleman Dowell
Haruki Murakami

Given that they're gleaned from Amazon lists, have you got any suggestions about how to measure how risky they are before I buy? Also, I could do with a few more possibles; any clues, or handy sites to look at?

Comments:
Blogger Tim: Amin Maalouf was another (took me a while to decypher my own handwriting for this one).
 
Blogger Steve: I've made some comments to friday's posting and...

I've read 2 by Jim Crace. 'Signals of Distress' I really really enjoyed but maybe a bit too straightforward for you. And 'The Gift of Stones' is set in the stone age I think - not bad but not brilliant.
 
Blogger nick: I started, but didn't finish, "Being Dead" I think it was, by Crace, but didn't really get on with it. In my list-of-books-to-read is "Signals of Distress". As Steve says, not sure if it would be your sort of thing.

Not heard of any of the others.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger