Friday, July 22, 2005
 
Steve:  Programming
Paul has expressed an interest in doing some programming. (I don't think he'll make time for it.) What should he start with? At Uni they seem to start with Java but I'm wondering about VB. Obviusly it's there with Office and he may be able to add abit of something to his school projects that do not have a programming element. What do you think. I'm off soon so see you Sunday/Monday.

Comments:
Blogger nick: I've not used VB for ages (maybe Tim's still doing stuff with it) but from what I know of it I think it would be a pretty good way to get into the idea of writing programs... you can knock something up with a GUI pretty quickly, and then can add functionality to it as you learn more about the "programming" side of things.

Java's obviously a nicer language, but it has some quite hard concepts if you've never done anything before, and it's going to be quite a while before you can do more than console I/O which might not seem quite so cool.

The other thing you might look at is scripting languages like perl or php - if you set up apache on his linux box then you can with php make some quite interesting web pages, and that might be something that provides enough positive feedback to encourage further exploration. Plus of course, his dad might be able to help - you do perl don't you Steve?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger