Wednesday, February 09, 2005
nick: walkman
My MD walkman is on the way out I think... it has on two occasions stopped in the middle of recording a lecture and said "DISC ERROR", following which I can't do anything with the disk at all - meaning I have two MDs that are the equivalent of coasters. It's also complained when just playing back stuff, although this didn't corrupt the MD. At any rate I'm looking for a replacement. And if I remember rightly, Tim and Steve both recently have done the same thing. I think it is going to be MD for me, because I want to do recording. So, Tim, how have you found Hi-MD? Done any field recording? What's the sonic-stage software like (that seems to be something loads of people complain about)? Any regrets about getting your walkman?
I like the look of the NW-HD3, but it doesn't record. So it might be a NH1 after all...
Comments:
<< Home
Tim: As expected, mine doesn't get used that much, but it's a good bit of gear. The recording quality using stereo mikes is dead impressive, and of course they last for hours. My actual recordings are (so far) all crap though, so I haven't got involved with the software. Last time I looked someone on the minidisc.org forums had developed (and was continuing to develop) their own alternative.
Mine is a NH900, considerably cheaper than the NH1, for no apparent reason. But you might be able to come up with an excuse for the NH1? Or you can borrow mine for a while to evaluate, if you like.
Mine is a NH900, considerably cheaper than the NH1, for no apparent reason. But you might be able to come up with an excuse for the NH1? Or you can borrow mine for a while to evaluate, if you like.
Steve: Hi Lads, sorry I've been off-line at KPMG in Stockley Park this week training them. I've just caught up on all of the gossip though. I'm still very happy with my CD walkman as I can rush over to the rack and choose something with just 17 minutes to go before the train leaves. Today it's a Robert Plant album. I got a shock the other day as the flipping batteries ran out. So that lasted just over a month of walking to/from the station so I'd guess that's a bit over 20 hours. Not bad for rechargeables.
I just finished the Richard Feynman anecdotes book and really enjoyed it. Just started Tim Lott's "Rumours of a Hurricane" that is meant have a good 70's feel.
BTW my review pages never make it to Google, the hits for my name will be for archived KS discussion groups.
On the gravity front, can they tell from fossil plant records? You'd get taller more spindly plants with lower gravity - I didn't read the whole thing but it seemed to only talk about dinosaurs.
I'm very impressed with the amount of dialogue we have now.
Steve
I just finished the Richard Feynman anecdotes book and really enjoyed it. Just started Tim Lott's "Rumours of a Hurricane" that is meant have a good 70's feel.
BTW my review pages never make it to Google, the hits for my name will be for archived KS discussion groups.
On the gravity front, can they tell from fossil plant records? You'd get taller more spindly plants with lower gravity - I didn't read the whole thing but it seemed to only talk about dinosaurs.
I'm very impressed with the amount of dialogue we have now.
Steve
nick: google search for "steve bachini" definitely turns up your music pages, steve. When I did it, they were the 10th and 11th result in the list (and maybe more below)
nick
nick
Tim: Oops, I inadvertantly cause a blog-thread-divergence-situation, sorry. Move on to Thursday now, please...
Post a Comment
<< Home

