Friday, January 21, 2005
Tim: Hello Steve
You made it then, well done.
I've been fiddling round with the settings a bit, and I was hoping that the main blog page could also display all the comments (so we can see the whole thread straight away) but I haven't found a way of doing it yet.
Comments:
<< Home
Tim: Well, this is sort of what I had in mind, but there's a lot of clutter about that'll have to go.
nick: What's going on in Nick's office:
I sent off for some Linux CDs of various "distros", and have
spent the last week or so installing Gentoo on my machine at
home.
Gentoo's differentiator is that it installs a very minimal
base system, and then when you add components they get
compiled on your system. This means, that unlike
e.g. Mandrake or Redhat, where you get a prebuilt generic
system,
a) you can choose only the components you want
b) you can set the compile/link flags to be optimal for
your system
A disadvantage is that building can take a long time - it
took over 10 hours to compile KDE (desktop GUI environment).
On the plus side, I'm getting a bit more of an idea about
what's going on with unix configuration. I'm also going to
install "Arch Linux", so I can muck about with bootloaders
(Grub).
I've configured my router so that I can get to the Linux
system from the outside world, and this all seems
straightforward, so I have a webserver running as well. I
was wondering what else to put on it; maybe there's
something I could do to get around Tim's surfcontrol
limitations?
I sent off for some Linux CDs of various "distros", and have
spent the last week or so installing Gentoo on my machine at
home.
Gentoo's differentiator is that it installs a very minimal
base system, and then when you add components they get
compiled on your system. This means, that unlike
e.g. Mandrake or Redhat, where you get a prebuilt generic
system,
a) you can choose only the components you want
b) you can set the compile/link flags to be optimal for
your system
A disadvantage is that building can take a long time - it
took over 10 hours to compile KDE (desktop GUI environment).
On the plus side, I'm getting a bit more of an idea about
what's going on with unix configuration. I'm also going to
install "Arch Linux", so I can muck about with bootloaders
(Grub).
I've configured my router so that I can get to the Linux
system from the outside world, and this all seems
straightforward, so I have a webserver running as well. I
was wondering what else to put on it; maybe there's
something I could do to get around Tim's surfcontrol
limitations?
Tim: You're having lots of fun then.
There must be stacks of handy communications software you can bung on your server. I don't know what, but there must be.
By the way, are we up for more Close Combat Cockups tonight? It is Friday after all...
There must be stacks of handy communications software you can bung on your server. I don't know what, but there must be.
By the way, are we up for more Close Combat Cockups tonight? It is Friday after all...
Tim: See you then. Of course, I've got a whole new strategy lined up for this rematch. (Actually I haven't, that's just a bluff.)
Steve: So do we keep on going on the Hello Steve thread then?
Nick already knows - I bought a cheap (£74) Peugeot racing bike at the weekend (Sunday) on eBay, came from Tring. Paul got a Claud Butler one (Saturday) from eBay in London. So D is very impressed with the bikes:Bachini ratio. None have crept into the new garage yet but it's basically a matter if time. So Tim you're getting behind on the bike front - you can get covers to store them in the garden. No more excuses.
I've had a cold/sore throat/cough since the end of December so I've not done much myself. I'm tempted to go to the doctor but what's the use?
Post a Comment
Nick already knows - I bought a cheap (£74) Peugeot racing bike at the weekend (Sunday) on eBay, came from Tring. Paul got a Claud Butler one (Saturday) from eBay in London. So D is very impressed with the bikes:Bachini ratio. None have crept into the new garage yet but it's basically a matter if time. So Tim you're getting behind on the bike front - you can get covers to store them in the garden. No more excuses.
I've had a cold/sore throat/cough since the end of December so I've not done much myself. I'm tempted to go to the doctor but what's the use?
<< Home

